PDA

View Full Version : Weber Platinum Smokey Joe Grill - 18 1/2"

wsm
10-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Anyone know this grill?

Looks like a portable 18 1/2" cooker - wonder if it works like all the other webers - just fine

dxesmkr
10-23-2005, 01:46 PM
I've got one.But,sorry to say haven't used it enough to give a product report. I picked one up on a close out sale and thought it might be handy sometime.

Willy T.

BrooklynQ
10-23-2005, 01:58 PM
I have one - must be about 15 years old. I use it primarily for grilling at the beach, picnics or camping. And as a holder for lighting my charcol chimney. It's a handy little grill, but I never tried to make BBQ on it.

icemn62
10-23-2005, 02:20 PM
I've seen them and came close to buying one once. The 18 1/2 cook size turned me off I would rather have at least the 22 inch. Should work like a weber kettle just smaller.

qman
10-23-2005, 03:04 PM
I had an 18 1/2 inch Weber for a long time. Won it as a door prize. Used it a lot for grilling steaks etc for a couple of people. Worked great, just like all weber products. I used it maybe a couple of times for indirect cooking, but never for real bbq.

nmayeux
10-23-2005, 10:24 PM
I guess that I am a little confused as I have a Smokey Joe, but it is only 14 1/2". I thought that the 18 1/2" was just a regular kettle. Anyway, I use the SJ at work, and it is a great little grill.

BBQchef33
10-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Smokey joe's comes in regular and gold at 14 1/2 inches and the platinum is 18 1/2 inches and a little deeper(above the grate) than the 2 smaller cousins, also has a lid lock that lets you carry it buy the lid. The one i use(its not mine) has 2 settings for the grate height, but the lower setting looks like a homemade, add on mod. For all intents and purposes, its an 18 1/2" kettle with stubby legs. Works the exact same way. Even though its 18 1/2 inchs, i think its a little shallower than the regular kettle. Every time I used the smokey Joe, it just didnt look as deep, but never did a side by side comparison. Either way, its a great grill and portable.

CarbonToe
10-24-2005, 04:43 AM
Solid Build (hey, it's a Weber) and not too many compromises for a portable grill.

If you are after one for the back yard there are better Weber models, if you are after a 'camping' charcoal kettle it's one of the best.

Neil
10-24-2005, 09:15 AM
I use the smokey jo at home when I'm just grilling one steak or a couple of dogs. Been thinking about trying to smoke a fatty on it alone.

Bill-Chicago
10-24-2005, 09:29 AM
My smoky joe has one purpose.

I pour out the remainder of the gallon of gas I buy for the mower every year, then light it up and burn off the gas.

brdbbq
10-24-2005, 09:30 AM
Got a small yard ?

Bill-Chicago
10-24-2005, 09:31 AM
Got a small yard ?

No, got a large draught.

racer_81
10-24-2005, 12:19 PM
My smoky joe has one purpose.

I pour out the remainder of the gallon of gas I buy for the mower every year, then light it up and burn off the gas.

Your smoky joe got a name?

Bill-Chicago
10-24-2005, 12:30 PM
Your smoky joe got a name?

Melty

dapittboss
10-24-2005, 12:40 PM
I've had one for about 14 years, it works fine, as a portable there really is no other to compare IMO. One thing, though, if you have any other standard Weber kettle where the air damper is on the bottom, it will cook a little differently because the Smokey Joe has two dampers on the sides, higher up, and one in the lid. The standard configuration of one on top and one on the bottom works much better I think, but the SJ is still a good spare. I take it all over the place and it works great!

racer_81
10-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Melty

I thought was your wife's pet name for your...oh wait, this is Q-Talk...Mod.

nmayeux
10-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Joe!

Wayne
10-24-2005, 11:00 PM
It is tough and well built. Used one of the 14 inchers for camping and such. It works fine but it doesn't grill big stuff like roasts as well as the bigger Weber's. Don't get me wrong. We wore the thing out and it fixed a lot of good steaks, dogs, brots, and such. Even held a fry pan for bacon and eggs. Now that I have a few trucks I take a more serious grill when we go camping, but the Smokey Joe gave me such good service that I cannot complain. A bargain at twice the price.

willbird
03-27-2013, 09:39 AM
Do these have the same exact lid as an 18.5" kettle ??

Bill

Harbormaster
03-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Do these have the same exact lid as an 18.5" kettle ??
I have never checked, to be honest.
The SJP is not the same as an 18.5 kettle mind you. Pretty sure the cooking grates are different sizes (SJP is actually an 18" grate I think).
If I think of it, I'll get one of my SJPs out and see if the lid fits on a kettle.

Also, Weber re-introduced the SJP this year, and it is different than the original SJPs of yore.

Grain Belt
03-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Harbormaster is correct. The orginal Smokey Joe Platinum (also once known as a Jumbo Joe) was made until about 2007 or so. It has an 18 inch grate that is not interchangeable with the 18 1/2. It was set up like a larger version of today's Smokey Joe Gold (14 1/2). It has side vents like BBQChef33's picture shows. The brand new Smokey Joe Platinum is a shallower design that is based off the European/Australian "Compact Kettle" The new SJP also has one large bottom vent in the vein of today's Smokey Joe silver. It does have a locking bail that connects with the lid handle. I have seen the new SJP in Wal-mart and Target in my town.

All that being said, I feel the new model would be a good portable grill/smoker. With the shallow bowl it might take a little getting used to as far as amount of charcoal needed and temps. I have seen a few threads critical of the quality control on the new SJP however.

I have smoked pork shoulder, ham, meatloaf, ribs, chuckies, venison, chicken, and turkey breasts on my 2007 SJP. I love it as my go-to tailgate, fishing, hunting, family vacation grill.

willbird
03-27-2013, 10:42 AM
I have never checked, to be honest.
The SJP is not the same as an 18.5 kettle mind you. Pretty sure the cooking grates are different sizes (SJP is actually an 18" grate I think).
If I think of it, I'll get one of my SJPs out and see if the lid fits on a kettle.

Also, Weber re-introduced the SJP this year, and it is different than the original SJPs of yore.

I asked the guy who has it and he measured inside the lid at 18.5". I want the lid for a mini uds, 18.5" would be golden :-), 18 not so much. This one has the single bottom vent and 3 bent aluminum legs

willbird
03-27-2013, 10:46 AM
http://i.imgur.com/SHN08PS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jX9Cszz.jpg

ScreamingChicken
03-27-2013, 10:49 AM
That looks like a standard Smokey Joe to me...the lid doesn't seem to be quite big enough based on the handle position.

But I could be wrong and I don't have any grills in front of me to verify...

willbird
03-27-2013, 10:55 AM
That looks like a standard Smokey Joe to me...the lid doesn't seem to be quite big enough based on the handle position.

But I could be wrong and I don't have any grills in front of me to verify...

What the heck, a guy cannot have too many Webers hehe.

Bill

mbshop
03-27-2013, 03:25 PM
that pic is of a regular sj. and yes, weber got smart, finally, and made the new jj the same size as the regular 18.5 kettle. why they didn't do it before just amazes me.

stl-rich
03-27-2013, 04:50 PM
OMG, I started this thread back in 2005. I remember seeing the trashcan cooker I used as my avatar and requesting that Meathead Wayne take a pic for me.

Good times :grin:

caseydog
03-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Harbormaster is correct. The orginal Smokey Joe Platinum (also once known as a Jumbo Joe) was made until about 2007 or so. It has an 18 inch grate that is not interchangeable with the 18 1/2. It was set up like a larger version of today's Smokey Joe Gold (14 1/2). It has side vents like BBQChef33's picture shows.

Yes, I have one, and I had to order a grate from Weber for it. They still had them, as of a couple months ago. I don't know if they still make the grates, or if they are just selling what they have in stock till it is gone.

The new "Jumbo Joe," as it is now labeled, is uses a standard 18.5 inch grate.

CD

Smoothsmoke
03-27-2013, 04:57 PM
So you have 2 accounts? You have some splaining to do!

Smoothsmoke
03-27-2013, 05:10 PM
SJP's and Jumbo Joes are the same about 90% of the time. But some Jumbo Joe's didn't come with a lid bale. Also some were 18" vs 18.5". Weber sure makes it confusing. That's without mentioning Weber called them the Outrider as well.

mbshop
03-27-2013, 11:07 PM
i tried the lids from a jj and an 18.5 kettle today. they fit either way and are basically the same. the 18.5 kettle had a welded on handle and the jj had a bolted on handle.
so yes, they are the same. the older sjp is differant.

BBQchef33
03-28-2013, 12:04 AM
OMG, I started this thread back in 2005. I remember seeing the trashcan cooker I used as my avatar and requesting that Meathead Wayne take a pic for me.

Good times :grin:

were u wearing pink suspenders? http://www.fishingacrosstx.com/forum/images/smilies/1smiley_tap_foot.gif

willbird
03-28-2013, 07:04 AM
I actually did a net search and it led me to that thread, made more sense to dredge it back up for the question than making a new thread, or seemed to anyway hehe.

Bill

stl-rich
04-01-2013, 12:31 AM
were u wearing pink suspenders? http://www.fishingacrosstx.com/forum/images/smilies/1smiley_tap_foot.gif

When the avatar pic was taken, yes I was :drama: