PDA

View Full Version : Offset v WSM. Decisions, Decisions

Wesman61
07-31-2012, 11:07 PM
I was on a kick for awhile about getting a WSM. Then I started thinking about how much I like the idea of offsets. I really don't mind fussing with a smoker and tending to a long cook. After all I have a Traeger if I want convenience. Then I started thinking that after a few long nights of staying up it might get old. And I like the Traeger but much prefer the taste of a wood/charcoal smoker so I want to get something that I'll use and not get tired of.

Then I started pricing offsets and it seems like anything in the price range of a WSM needs a lot of mods to bring it up to snuff in the performance dept. Offsets that address all the issues and short comings of COS smokers cost $1000 or more from my research. It's getting harder to justify getting an offset. I want to be able to smoke in the winter. I used to smoke in the snow with an offset I had and really didn't enjoy it. Sorry, just thinking out loud.

Callahan-que
07-31-2012, 11:27 PM
Go ahead pull the trigger on the WSM, you know you want to.:grin:

rgrizzle
07-31-2012, 11:36 PM
off set. you know you want it :thumb: just think you can baby sit a fire all day and drink plenty of cold adult beverages.

javahog2002
07-31-2012, 11:50 PM
You have the Traeger for easy set and go BBQ. The offset is not that much work. I have the offset for the big brisket and two ECBs for set and go. Everyone needs both if you have the space and money.

Wesman61
08-01-2012, 12:13 AM
I thought I'd also mention that right now I have my son's NB offset. I added a charcoal basket and a heat diffusion plate. I can get it to hold a temp of 225-250 for a couple of hours. He wants me to hang on to it till he gets another place in a few months so there's no hurry. When winter rolls around I'll be wanting another smoker so I'm trying to decide now. I also have nearly a case of beer in the outside fridge. ;)

JazzyBadger
08-01-2012, 01:20 AM
Just living in Texas the difference between the WSM and the offset during the winter months was huge. Of course down here when it gets cold it gets wet, and at the time I had to use a welding blanket whenever it rained. Worked fine and all for the cook chamber, but it played out like Hell on earth for the firebox.

If you have the fuel for it, then by all means go for it! If fuel during the winter isn't something you're just rolling around in, it might be getting a tad irritating with the expense.

Wesman61
08-01-2012, 01:40 AM
Just living in Texas the difference between the WSM and the offset during the winter months was huge. Of course down here when it gets cold it gets wet, and at the time I had to use a welding blanket whenever it rained. Worked fine and all for the cook chamber, but it played out like Hell on earth for the firebox.

If you have the fuel for it, then by all means go for it! If fuel during the winter isn't something you're just rolling around in, it might be getting a tad irritating with the expense.
Fuel is fairly cheap and abundant if you like fruit wood (which I do). There are fruit farms that cut down their trees and sell the wood. I have a good bit of cherry and a stick or of apple. In the fall there will be more apple available.

JazzyBadger
08-01-2012, 01:58 AM
Yeah, I'd say go for it then. Honestly I do enjoy tinkering with the fire, and whenever I have company over I go for it if we're doing an outside thing.

My WSM I use for when I'm doing lawn work, work inside the house, cooking up a bunch of other things, it's the set it and forget it pit for me. Sounds like you've already got one of those, so baby sitting something might be a refreshing change of pace.

ImHogginIt
08-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Yeah, I'd say go for it then. Honestly I do enjoy tinkering with the fire, and whenever I have company over I go for it if we're doing an outside thing.

My WSM I use for when I'm doing lawn work, work inside the house, cooking up a bunch of other things, it's the set it and forget it pit for me. Sounds like you've already got one of those, so baby sitting something might be a refreshing change of pace.

Just purchased a WSM because I like the idea of " set it and forget it" plus I never found one single negative review on one.

Cayman1
08-01-2012, 07:20 AM
I have and enjoy both, just different.

ksu1971
08-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Nothing says you cannot sit back and enjoy a few cold beverages while the WSM is crusing along. As a matter of fact the WSM will even allow you to make a beer run and not worry to much about it.:mrgreen:

Big slick
08-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Having a WSM I love the slow fuel consumption. I also love cooking all night and sleeping with little to no worries about temps fluctuating. I can cook 6 butts at one time on the WSM. However, I hate having to remove the top grate to access the bottom one. I like how all the food is accessible on an offset. I just don't like having to tend to a fire every hour or the amount of fuel an offset consumes.

neuyawk
08-01-2012, 07:59 AM
If you get an offset you can show off your wood pile instead of a home depot wood chunk bag.

Not hating on the bag. I have use both. But I love showing off my stack of wood.

GreenDrake
08-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Get both, kind of. Off Set and build a UDS.

Wesman61
08-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Get both, kind of. Off Set and build a UDS.
I've thought about that too. We have barrels at work that I can have for the asking. That and one of those UDS kits would put me right there. And the bottle opener would come in handy.:rockon:

MeatyOakerSmoker
08-01-2012, 10:23 AM
My vote is WSM if you want to buy not build in which case UDS is good. I like having both though. If your ok with a higher price point then get a nice offset otherwise from what I've read don't bother with the cheap ones because you'll regret it.

snyper77
08-01-2012, 01:47 PM
I agree with IbrahimSS, do not bother with cheap offsets. 1/4" steel or nothing. Don't spend hard earned money for something you'll be cussin'.
For me, I asked all the Brethren "What offset gives more bang for my buck than a LANG?"
Everyone said "No one." To solidify that choice, I asked many LANG users how they feel about their smoker. Same answer, over and over: I LOVE MY LANG.
SO, that's that. Done, over with, and now, I can say the same thing........ I LOVE MY LANG.
Save up, do it right, with no regrets.
For me, "I" wanted a live wood-fired PIT - not a handful of charcoal in the belly of a drum ;)

VoodoChild
08-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Personally WSm so you have something reliable then save up for off set .. Craiglist can be rewarding sometimes.... In My area right now is a lang 36 patio used only 4 times for $500.00 trying to convince the wife But I dont think Ill get this one $ a lil tight right now .. But look around After you get WSm !!!! I see A Need For both at my house.

qnbiker
08-01-2012, 04:09 PM
I've had both. Cooking on a COS (never had a quality offset) is fun but costly. I loved cooking on my modded Silver Smoker and made some great Q, but sometimes the fuel cost more than the food. I sold it and have never looked back. Now I only use my WSM and Performer/Smoke EZ. I'll get another offset when I can afford a quality pit and find a cheap wood source.

Wesman61
08-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Lot's of good thoughts. I'd definitely like a Lang but they are out of my reach.

KaptainQ
08-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Wesman61, If you decide to go with an offset, which one would you go with?

Teamfour
08-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Don't give up on an offset. I think they get a bad rap. True, if you use wood, they take a little tending which can be fun at times. For those times when you want a long burn, just pop a charcoal basket in it with some good lump. I can get 8 hours of burn time on a basketful of lump at 250*. You just need to get a decent offset. Too bad they quit making Bar-B-Chefs.

Wesman61
08-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Wesman61, If you decide to go with an offset, which one would you go with?I'm still looking. I want one of the types like Lang that are said to be easy to cook on. If I could get an offset that is really well made with heavier gauge walls and doors, seals up pretty good, has the chimney in the right place and all for under $600 I'd be really interested. I don't mind the easy mods like a charcoal basket and a diffusion plate since I have access to welding and cutting equipment. The one I have now is an older New Braunfels and is pretty good. Not real thick but thicker than a typical COS and sealing isn't bad. I made a charcoal basket and a diffusion plate and can get the temps from one side to other within a few degrees. Problem is, I gave it to my son before I learned how to make them work better.

cdollar
08-01-2012, 09:33 PM
I built and cooked for decades on offsets, then I found a good deal on a WSM and impulsively bought it based on the hype.

After using it a couple times I sold the offset and never looked back.

Chuck

ODU Dad
08-01-2012, 09:37 PM
I guess I will add my $0.02. IMO, it all depends on what you want to cook and what your heat source is going to be. If you can't put all of your food in a WSM, then what is better - two WSMs or a good sized offset? I do not agree that you get a monster cooker and then fire it up for a couple of rib racks or butts. Also, I like the new Akorn for the next nice cooker that is not real big.

But on top of it all, I believe that BBQ should be cheap. Do you have a good access to split and seasoned wood or will you have to buy it retail? I have to think that retail wood is NOT worth the expense, especially considering all of the attending that you will have to do in an offset. Charcoal is cheap to buy these days and you can try different woods for the smoke (not the fuel).

Smoothsmoke
08-01-2012, 09:39 PM
It doesn't matter which one you get. You'll be getting the other type in the future. If you're like me, you'll want one of each.

Wesman61
08-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Man, yesterday makes me want to stick with my pellet smoker LOL. I got up Thurs morning at 11:30 and was up till last night (Sat) till around 9:00pm. I smoked 26lbs of chuck on my son's offset which was over loading it. I put it on around 1:30am and smoked it till 3:00pm. Dinner was at 4 and at 3 the meat was only up to the low 180 range. So I through it in the oven at 375. It was just done enough to pull and everyone was happy. It did turn out great though.

twinsfan
08-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Wes, how about check out Craigslist for a used Lang? People get scared buying used smokers but if they're in solid condition you might be able to buy a $1000 Lang 36'' for like 500 bucks. Just a thought, use www.searchtempest.com, set the range for like 250 miles, and try like lang, lang smoker, lang bbq. See what shows up.

As an intermediate, have you thought about a BGE?

keverhart
08-05-2012, 01:57 PM
I thought about the same thing, I don't mind tending a fire either, but I eventually chose the 22.5 WSM and am thrilled with my decision. I have cranked out some amazing bbq!

caseydog
08-05-2012, 02:11 PM
The main reason I don't also have an offset stick burner is price. I look at 500 dollar units around here, and they are made with thin steel, and probably need mods to work well.

Like the OP mentioned, it seems like you have to get into four digit prices to get a good offset -- at least from what I have seen.

CD

MeatyOakerSmoker
08-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Man, yesterday makes me want to stick with my pellet smoker LOL. I got up Thurs morning at 11:30 and was up till last night (Sat) till around 9:00pm. I smoked 26lbs of chuck on my son's offset which was over loading it. I put it on around 1:30am and smoked it till 3:00pm. Dinner was at 4 and at 3 the meat was only up to the low 180 range. So I through it in the oven at 375. It was just done enough to pull and everyone was happy. It did turn out great though.
I think this is a matter of planning/temp control and nothing to do with the actual type of smoker.

mbshop
08-05-2012, 04:24 PM
one thing i noticed is that at comps i see wsm's all over the place. most are the ones turning out the comp food with the bigger cookers being used for show. also need to think about hauling these things around.

Wesman61
08-05-2012, 05:10 PM
I think this is a matter of planning/temp control and nothing to do with the actual type of smoker.
I fully agree and was making fun of myself in that statement. When I stuck the meat on I was tempted to put some on my Traeger and now wish I would have. I had a hard time keeping the temp above 250 because I have it setup to use charcoal and wood chips/chunks. It's obvious that I need to do something else. After all they are called stick burners. It's seriously making me question if offsets are for me.

I need to be able to smoke small and large amounts with whatever I have. I do a few Family get togethers and an occasional catered event. Yesterday was a learning experience and gave a lot to think about.

MeatyOakerSmoker
08-05-2012, 10:27 PM
I'd simply remind you that there are mods, for example a BBQ guru, that can make youre experience much better when you don't have time to tend the fire. There are benefits to pellet cookers and electric smokers but ultimately it comes down to preference.

MeatyOakerSmoker
08-05-2012, 10:37 PM
one thing i noticed is that at comps i see wsm's all over the place. most are the ones turning out the comp food with the bigger cookers being used for show. also need to think about hauling these things around.
I personally do not compete but know many who do are using meadow creeks, langs, etc. That's not to say people don't compete with WSMs but I think much of that has to do with lowering the bar to entry into the competitions, ie more people can afford one, not because they are "better".