PDA

View Full Version : Too much Sugar for HnF?

urville
07-29-2012, 03:52 PM
So, like always, and as is my nature, I like to change things at the last minute. experiment if you will, and as always, with a meal I dont want to ruin either, hah. Maybe I just like pressure.

I've been running 3-2-1 for awhile. Very wet ribs, but a little mushy, family never complained though, just stuff in my own head.

I've been reading the funk. I cooked my third and second brisket hot and fast. First one was low and slow. All three went ok, but number two was moist but not juicy. Took me a bit from all the threads to realize the probe test is from the side I kept shoving it in from the top and it always had resistince (bark maybe) all i know is I finally said to hell with it and pulled it and it was tender and moist but not juicy. Anyway...

Got to cooking ribs today and thought, maybe HnF would be a nice chnage for ribs too. Usual rub calls for decent amount of sugar... how concerning is this factor. i see lots of reference but nothing said specifically about it.

scp
07-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Probe from the sides!! Crap..I have been probing from the top too...and been a little dry on my first two. I am going hotter maybe 275-300 instead of 250 and probe from the side..good tip.

El Ropo
07-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Hmm, I always stick the probe in thickest part of the flat on the top.

I think the side thingy is for checking temps of tri tips, rib roasts, pork loins, etc. That's where you would insert your temp probe for those types of meat.

urville
07-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Yeah man, I was probing from the top and it never, I mean it never got butter. Waited and waited and waited and it got dry and I was checking all along the way so I didnt miss it. Onn the third brisket i probed from the side and I caught it it was butter every where but not from the top still, I tried, and it was awesome. I think it might even be about grain, but I'm not sure on that.

I just went with 3-1-1 at 230 today, and maybe next time depending on what i learn from this thread, I'll have to change my rub...

Thats the real question is how much will the sugar really matter.

to clarify i was shoving it vertical through the top towards the bottom and switched to shoving it in the side of the meat.

El Ropo
07-29-2012, 11:56 PM
If you are talking about temp probing ribs, forget about it. Use the bend/toothpick/bone tug test.

No way you're gonna get a reliable temp in rib meat cuz the probe will be too close to a bone.

Bend test: Pick up the slab of ribs with tongs from one end, lift off grate, if the unsupported end of slab bends over close to 90 degrees, and the meat starts to break/crack, it's done.

Toothpick test: Poke a toothpick, or similar pointy object into the meat between the bones. When it slides into the meat with very little resistance (like butter), they're done.

Bone tug test: Tug on a bone at the end of the slab, when it wiggles freely and the meat tears a bit, they're done.

urville
07-30-2012, 01:09 AM
No, the probe thing we were talking about was brisket, sorry, we weren't being clear! And not for temp just for feel.