PDA

View Full Version : Learned a li'l trick the other day...

Conlan
07-28-2012, 02:52 PM
So I thought I'd share, some of you Vets may already know this...

I've seen posted a few times that fellow Brethren can't properly taste their hard-earned meals after a smoke, I found this to be true.

So last smoke, after the food was off the grill and resting happily in the cooler, I took a moment, brushed my teeth:brushteeth:and took a hot shower (cleaned out the sinuses?) then put on a fresh set of clothes...what a difference this stupid li'l ritual made.

It also helped me pass the time while the food properly rested instead of pacing around like a rabid animal.

Sounds a little crazy, but it worked for me, so thought I'd share...flame as you will...heh, really, go ahead, I've got thick skin :biggrin1:

Callahan-que
07-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Actually it it doesn't sound crazy at all, I've done the same myself.

caseydog
07-28-2012, 02:59 PM
You know, that's an idea worth trying. :thumb:

CD

jacksedona
07-28-2012, 03:06 PM
:-oSo I thought I'd share, some of you Vets may already know this...

I've seen posted a few times that fellow Brethren can't properly taste their hard-earned meals after a smoke, I found this to be true.

So last smoke, after the food was off the grill and resting happily in the cooler, I took a moment, brushed my teeth:brushteeth:and took a hot shower (cleaned out the sinuses?) then put on a fresh set of clothes...what a difference this stupid li'l ritual made.

It also helped me pass the time while the food properly rested instead of pacing around like a rabid animal.

Sounds a little crazy, but it worked for me, so thought I'd share...flame as you will...heh, really, go ahead, I've got thick skin :biggrin1:

I am used to being a barbarian when it comes to bbq-as soon as its ready i take a big piece of meat and cole slaw some ice tea or soda and go to work with no rest until the food is gone-then i gp for seconds:decision:

will have to try your way with the bbq

Will work for bbq
07-28-2012, 03:18 PM
This means I cant Q unless its Saturday. :tsk:

FashionBiff
07-28-2012, 03:31 PM
This means I cant Q unless its Saturday. :tsk:

:biggrin1:

cameraman
07-28-2012, 03:55 PM
I think that's a great idea. Thanks for posting it.

pigdog
07-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Always take a shower, but haven't brushed teeth. Will try

Nut
07-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Today I did the same (except for the tooth brushing.... I was at my br. in laws beach side garage), and the Q tasted better :-)

tish
07-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Will definitely try that. Thanks! :smile:

buccaneer
07-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Wait....Paull has a great point...The pommies here will only BBQ once a month!!!
Bonus!!:tongue:

Boshizzle
07-28-2012, 07:52 PM
I might have to try it.

Conlan
07-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Wait....Paull has a great point...The pommies here will only BBQ once a month!!!
Bonus!!:tongue:

Lol!...you either have to be an Aus/NZ Native, Irish or a Leon Uris fan to know what a Pommie is...I'm the latter two :biggrin1:

Hope this crazy li'l trick helps some fellow Brethren :becky:

Chuckstang
07-28-2012, 09:19 PM
I will have to try this. I usually don't even want to eat what I've smoked when its done. My friends are always asking me why I'm only having one or two ribs and my only excuse is that I've been smelling it cook all day and I really am "saturated" with the smell and really don't want to eat it. Love it the next day, just not right then.

V-wiz
07-28-2012, 09:22 PM
I agree, it does work

Mo-Dave
07-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Next you are going to tell us, if you push those little flaps in on your foil and plastic wrap boxes on each end, the rolls will stay in the box and not fall out, each time they are used. But to the OP its is a good idea and I know first hand it does work, thanks.
Dave

Conlan
07-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Next you are going to tell us, if you push those little flaps in on your foil and plastic wrap boxes on each end, the rolls will stay in the box and not fall out, each time they are used.

Lol!..I would never claim that...that's just crazy talk :becky: :wink:

gtr
07-28-2012, 11:08 PM
My wife has suggested I try doing that on days when I don't cook. :oops:

Mo-Dave
07-28-2012, 11:18 PM
The only reason I know it works is, my wife wont let me come to bed after a smoking session, cause the next day she has to wash all the bedding.

Conlan
07-29-2012, 12:19 AM
My wife has suggested I try doing that on days when I don't cook. :oops:

The only reason I know it works is, my wife wont let me come to bed after a smoking session, cause the next day she has to wash all the bedding.

Lol! Y'all are a riot :rofl:

jestridge
07-29-2012, 07:43 AM
It give you that wonderful fresh feeling!! BTW I always do that

SteveLig
07-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Did that by accident yesterday as I had to travel to my daughter's new digs with a brisket flat (first time cooking a brisket) and meet some potential new in-laws. Didn't want to look like a total slob!

It was quite refreshing and relaxing. And it turns out they're all into bbq and have a large smoker in their backyard for fairly regular family gatherings!

charrederhead
07-29-2012, 09:48 AM

i was so tired last night i crashed fully-dressed....can she come and do mine? :biggrin1:

HB-BBQ
07-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Haha I thought i was the only one who did this. BTW great thread and this process does work for those who haven't tried it yet...

Shadowdog500
07-29-2012, 12:02 PM
I'll have to try this next time! I'm also in the club that don't taste the smoke flavor after smoking all day, but think it is great later that night or the next day after I get washed up.

Our washing machine is in the garage. After I get all smokey, my clothes don't make it past the washing machine when I'm walking in the house. If you leave your smokey clothes in a pile you will be surprised at how smokey they smell once your nose clears.

Chris

Brizz
07-29-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm "entertaining" 80% of the time so this might not be an option for me very often but it sounds awesome.

rocketmanray
07-29-2012, 12:10 PM
I will have to try this. I usually don't even want to eat what I've smoked when its done. My friends are always asking me why I'm only having one or two ribs and my only excuse is that I've been smelling it cook all day and I really am "saturated" with the smell and really don't want to eat it. Love it the next day, just not right then.

Yep, I get "saturated" with the smoke smell too, and have often gone the route of showering or jumping in the pool just to get cleaned up, cooled off, sit down (and have another beer) and relax. We generally plan for the butts to get done in time to let them rest in the cooler too.

Qing all day is hard work!! :)

RMR

The Cosmic Pig
07-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Great suggestion...thanks for posting!

Southern Home Boy
07-29-2012, 12:32 PM
But my wife says my BBQ smell is her appetizer...

jamus34
07-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Here's a trick (so to speak) that I used yesterday...

I pulled the ribs off once done, which I know is not the same as a butt, but wrapped and stuck in a cooler.

I then proceeded to cook more; in this case I fired up another chimney of charcoal and proceeded to cook a chicken and cornbread on the gasser.

That said, an hour + later those ribs were still piping hot.

Mo-Dave
07-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Here's a trick (so to speak) that I used yesterday...

I pulled the ribs off once done, which I know is not the same as a butt, but wrapped and stuck in a cooler.

I then proceeded to cook more; in this case I fired up another chimney of charcoal and proceeded to cook a chicken and cornbread on the gasser.

That said, an hour + later those ribs were still piping hot.

Here is a trick for your trick. Put butts on first, when about halfway done put on ribs, when those are about halfway done put on chicken and cornbread. If you don't have room I would still try to do it in this order, but I don't know your cooking space. The butts and ribs should come off about the same time, so you should have room for the other stuff.
Dave