PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp on the Smoker???

GEORGIA BULLHAWGS
07-27-2012, 10:30 AM
I can not eat Shrimp, I am alergic to it. I can eat food that has been cooked with shrimp, just cant actually eat the meat.

My wife LOVES shrimp, and I forget about her when buying food and when thinking about what to cook because it just isnt something I think about eating.

I am gonna fire up the smoker this afternoon for some vittles while we watch the opening ceremony of the Olympics.

Give me your shrimp receipes for the smoker. I want to treat my lady well tonight. Throw a side dish idea in there also to go with the shrimp.

The_Kapn
07-27-2012, 10:36 AM
I have had ZERO luck trying to smoke Shrimp.
They just cook up too fast and turn rubbery in a heartbeat.

I peel them and marinade them in something simple with acid.
Zesty Italian works well for me.

Onto a skewer and grill over medium heat for no more than a couple of minutes per side till they turn translucent.

Good Eats.

TIM

tarhog
07-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Marinate your shrimp in melted butter, lime juice and garlic. put them on a skewer and grill them about four minutes turning once at halfway. Serve with sticky white rice topped with stewed tomatoes. Halve a couple peaches and remove the pit. drizzle with a little honey and top with brown sugar. Grill them as well but start them well before putting shrimp on. Wifey will love it.

GEORGIA BULLHAWGS
07-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Marinate your shrimp in melted butter, lime juice and garlic. put them on a skewer and grill them about four minutes turning once at halfway. Serve with sticky white rice topped with stewed tomatoes. Halve a couple peaches and remove the pit. drizzle with a little honey and top with brown sugar. Grill them as well but start them well before putting shrimp on. Wifey will love it.

ratio on the butter/lime juice? she is not crazy about garlic

tarhog
07-27-2012, 11:15 AM
I usually use about half a stick of butter to about an oz. of lime juice. You can omit the garlic. Add a shot of hot sauce or old bay for more flavor if you like. My wife gets on me all the time because I don't use exact measurements and never write any thing down.

GEORGIA BULLHAWGS
07-27-2012, 11:18 AM
sounds good. thanks

caseydog
07-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Like others have said, shrimp cooks really fast, and when overcooked, the texture is unpleasant.

I cook them over direct heat, and it only takes two or three minutes per side.

Also, buy your shrimp with shells on, and peel them right before you get ready to cook them. Even the "fresh" shrimp at the meat counter have been frozen for transport. Freezing shrimp in the shell will give you a better texture.

Look for wild caught in USA shrimp, too.

CD

markdtn
07-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Have not had much luck on the smoker. They just cook too fast. On the grill skewer with mushrooms and brush witha mixture of butter and mustard in about equal ratio with slightly less lemon juice; add Lawrys season salt, Italian seasoning, and a little Cavenders Greek.

Myrdhyn
07-27-2012, 11:28 AM
+1 for grilling. I toss mine in salt, olive oil, and old bay. Skewer and grill until just cooked.

eddieh70301
07-27-2012, 11:44 AM
This is how i do it. Not actually BBQ but it can be cooked in a cast iron skillet on the grill.
2 dozen large shrimp with heads and shells, about 1 pound
1/4 pound (1 stick), plus 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, in all
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon Chef Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Magic ®or (http://www.chefpaul.com/site.php?pageID=286&iteminfo=1&productID=181)
Chef Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Redfish Magic® (http://www.chefpaul.com/site.php?pageID=286&iteminfo=1&productID=8)
1/2 cup shrimp stock
1/4 cup beer, unopened but at room temperature

Rinse the shrimp in cold water and drain them well. Pinch off and discard the portion of the head from the eyes forward (including the eyes, but not the protruding long spine above the eyes). Leave as much as possible of the orange-colored shrimp fat from the head attached to the body. Set aside.
Combine 1 stick of the butter, the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and Seafood Magic or Blackened Redfish Magic in a large skillet over high heat. When the butter melts, add the shrimp. Cook for 2 minutes, shaking (versus stirring) in a back-and-forth motion. Add the remaining 5 tablespoons butter and the stock. Cook and shake the pan for 2 minutes. Add the beer and cook and shake the pan for 1 minute more. Remove from the heat and serve immediately in bowls with lots of French bread on the side, or on a platter with cooked rice mounded in the middle and the shrimp and sauce surrounding it.

deepsouth
07-27-2012, 05:23 PM
i just bought a some shrimp to grill tonight and i used the KISS method... olive oil, salt and pepper. if i'm feeling like a little more zing, i love dizzy pig shakin the tree. hot and fast.

camben
07-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Let them marinate for a few hours and you'll have a very happy wife!!

KaptainQ
07-27-2012, 08:17 PM
I've smoked some shrimp before that has turned out pretty good. Used my bradley smoker with very low heat then finished them on the grill. Smoked scallops are really good too!

Shadowdog500
07-27-2012, 11:23 PM
I grill my shrimp over charcoal. +1 on them being done in the blink of an eye. I put several Shelled shrimp on a skewer and give them a very light dusting of old bay and let them sit in the fridge for about an hour for the flavor to penetrate. Then I grill them. The "let the sit for an hour" really helps, otherwise the flavor just seems to be on the surface, which really bothers me with shrimp at some places.

I'm a fan of JO crab spice, but put old bay above because it seems like everyone has old bay.

Chris