PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Deck?

NickTheGreat
07-24-2012, 12:05 PM
All,

I have a strange question for you. We have a split level home, with walk out basement (s). I've had my WSM for a few months now and have made some good stuff. But I always set it up on the ground level, underneath my deck off the kitchen. So naturally when I'm smokin' and walk outside, I smell that great aroma. It kinda wofts up through the deck and all over the yard.

I've noticed that when we water flowers on the upper deck, above where the smoker is used, I get that smokey smell. Obviously the deck it getting saturated with smoke and the water is activating it.

My question is, is this harmful? Am I damaging or staining or doing anything to my deck? I don't really want to use my WSM above on the wooden deck or in my yard.

expatpig
07-24-2012, 12:09 PM
I can't imagine you putting out so much smoke, that you would reconstitute it when watering flowers. I can smell my smokers in the yard a day after using them, but not from anywhere else.

jimmyinsd
07-24-2012, 12:19 PM
i doubt you are ruining it, the smoke will carry some particles and possibly a greasy film will form, but i would think that would add to the preservation of the wood instead of being harmfull. it may possibly have adverse effect on future stain or preservatives adhering though.

NickTheGreat
07-24-2012, 02:26 PM
I can't imagine you putting out so much smoke, that you would reconstitute it when watering flowers. I can smell my smokers in the yard a day after using them, but not from anywhere else.

Well I figure I've put probably close to 40 hours on it. And it's not a strong smell, just a slight odor. Kinda like how after a day of smoking, and you hop in the shower it gets more intense. And it's if *we* get a lot of water on the deck. :becky:

NickTheGreat
07-24-2012, 02:27 PM
i doubt you are ruining it, the smoke will carry some particles and possibly a greasy film will form, but i would think that would add to the preservation of the wood instead of being harmfull. it may possibly have adverse effect on future stain or preservatives adhering though.

I figured I wasn't hurting anything, but it just struck me as odd. I can't see anything that looks weird, so I'm not too worried about it.