PDA

View Full Version : try #2 on the wsm .. pron and more comin

touchdowntodd
07-20-2012, 10:01 AM
fired up the WSM this mornin .. runnin along around 275 without issues ..

brats, fatty, and a nice chuckie goin on there..

pulled the fatty and brats after about 1hour 45 .. brats were awesome, fatty decent ..

biggest issue is the wife hates the smell of the hickory, says it smells like hot dogs .. i can smell it a lil too, so we have to find some cherry or something .. does that even make sense?

anyways, heres a pic when i pulled off the breakfast food

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb47/touchdowntodd/bbq4.jpg

Subzerogriller
07-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Looks farktastic! Can't wait to see the finished chuckie! I'm starving, and that fatty is looking mighty tasty right about now...

MisterChrister
07-20-2012, 11:03 AM
For a guy who claims to be a rookie tryin to learn, that stuff looks friggun delicious! Now back to my peanut butter sandwich!

charrederhead
07-20-2012, 11:07 AM
why do i torture myself checking the pron whilst starving??

nice cook.

El Ropo
07-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Nice looking meat. I don't care for hickory much either. Love a combo of pecan and apple or cherry. Oak and apple or cherry would be great too. Nice mild smoke flavor, and the cherry will give the meat a nice color. Have done many cooks using a combo of all three woods, half pecan, quarter apple, quarter cherry, or equal parts, it's all good.

MisterChrister
07-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Nice looking meat. I don't care for hickory much either. Love a combo of pecan and apple or cherry. Oak and apple or cherry would be great too. Nice mild smoke flavor, and the cherry will give the meat a nice color. Have done many cooks using a combo of all three woods, half pecan, quarter apple, quarter cherry, or equal parts, it's all good.

Are you saying you don't care much for the "flavor profile" of hickory? LMBOROFL (don't slug me!!!)

El Ropo
07-20-2012, 12:34 PM
I never mentioned the dreaded word "profile" :icon_blush:

touchdowntodd
07-20-2012, 01:38 PM
thanks all ... agree i need to try different wood, its not for me, and not for the wife and thats most important ..

sittin at 165 right now .. on about 6 hour so far ...

BigBlock
07-20-2012, 02:09 PM
outstanding pr0n

touchdowntodd
07-20-2012, 04:59 PM
stuck at 178-179 .... still probing somewhat tough ..

noticed lots of ash build up in the WSM (2nd cook on it), knocked around the coals to let that fall down, finally back to gettin the thin blue!

plan is to rest for 1 hour when it probes nice, while cookin some "burnt ends-ish" chunks ...

hopefully she tastes good .. stubbs is waitin .. :)

superlazy
07-20-2012, 05:07 PM
That looks great!!!!
Ya I don't care much for hickory on the wsm seems to concentrate the flavor too much.
Apple or cherry work well for me

touchdowntodd
07-20-2012, 05:44 PM
update .. jumped up to 203 or so, probed well .. so off she came to rest

sliced off a chunk and diced it up for the fake burnt ends ..

here they are, then covered em in stubbs and some drippings, and back to the WSM while the rest rests .. i admit to having a small slice, VERY tasty .. i had rubbed it down last night with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, lil cumin, lil cayenne ...

looks like i got a fair smoke ring on it ... shoulda taken a pic of the smoke ring on the brats it was BEAUTIFUL ... tell me what ya think!

cant wait to try these when tehy come off!

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb47/touchdowntodd/bbq5.jpg

MisterChrister
07-20-2012, 06:28 PM
That appears to be stupendously delicious my man!

touchdowntodd
07-20-2012, 10:25 PM
you should know my friend, its your families beef!

anyways, sorry for the delay went for a car ride and had some car issues ...

so here goes ..

served 3 ways ..

- "burnt ends" ... these were decent, probably should have cooked longer, but still good
- slices ... tasty! very beefy
- pulled .. served with sauce (1/3 stubbs 2/3 strained drippings) ... this was my favorite.. very good ... the wife liked this as well ..

overall, a success.. we need to change wood to cherry or apple, but i found some picnic shoulder today for .99 a pound so lord knows ill be tryin that out soon ... and just as an FYI there were 0 leftovers .. ate the whole 4-5lb chuckie between the wife and i

this was her plate, i went 100% meat :)

opinions off looks alone?

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb47/touchdowntodd/bbq6.jpg

MisterChrister
07-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Dayum, ya didn't save me NONE?!?! It looks pretty dang good from where I'm sitting, we had pizza tonight!!!! Although it WAS my wife's homemade pizza! Looks great, hafta try to get together over some meat and fire one of these days!

touchdowntodd
07-20-2012, 10:47 PM
ya we do chris.. i need to get better at this first...