PDA

View Full Version : Pig roast help

Thomasljr80
07-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Ok so I am cooking a 100lbs pig I will be using charcoal and maybe some wood for a little smoke. I have cooked a whole pig before but I would like to stuff it. What should I stuff with? Will it effect the cooking time and if so what is your guess to how long it will take for me to rotisserie itin a covered BBQ? Also some pointers for sauces recipes anything would be helpful. Oh yeah they want to eat around 4pm
Thanks Tom

BigBlock
07-19-2012, 12:37 PM
pm PYGBOYZ he has done many that way

Thomasljr80
07-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks

IamMadMan
07-19-2012, 04:41 PM
I have never stuffed one, keep us apprised.

cowgirl
07-20-2012, 12:50 PM
I stuff with whole apples, onions, heads of garlic and jalapenos for flavor.
If you add uncooked meat such as chichens, etc. it will effect the cooking time. Make sure you take an IT on them too.

PYGBOYZ
07-23-2012, 11:02 PM
I usually stuff my rotissiere hawgs with sausage(of your choice) I use Johnsonville Hot italian sausage, small red potatoes, quartered red onions, quartered Oranges and lemons, jalapeno peppers,quartered green/red/yellow peppers and small cobs of corn. This I call the "Gold" reserved for the select few. No need to squeeze the lemons or oranges. Also, stuff till you cannot stuff anymore, then stuff some more. Then sew the belly, the hawg should look really fat (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=536242#) or pregnant.
To answer your 2nd question of injecting, I live in Eastern NC so I inject with a vinegar base sauce slightly spicy. I inject from the inside out, trying to put as few holes in the skin as possible. Now I have seen a few people put slits in the skin and stuff the slits with jalapenos/onions/or other peppers. After injecting, stuffing, and sewing the Hawg, I use the same sauce and inject into the stomach with all the "Gold".
Cooking a 100 .lb hawg between 250 and 275 should be done in about 10-11hrs. I usually allow, 12 hours just in case I need the extra hour or two and if I do I usually bump the heat to 325-350. Or just use the last hour or two, to let it rest and revell in all the juices and time to chop or prep.