PDA

View Full Version : Which smoker should I add to my collection?

Rubmyrock
07-17-2012, 08:48 PM
I have a Large Big Green Egg, a park and rec style charcoal in ground mounted grill by my pool and a gasser. I'm building a UDS from a kit because I like the way it looks and I'm considering an additional smoker similar to a stumps or one of the other high end back yard smokers (dont want to spend over $2500) First question; what will any other cooker smoker do other than volume of cook do that my BGE won't do? I've noticed from reading here many of you have Big Green Eggs in addition to many others. I need recommendations and advice on whether I should even buy another cooker. I'm new so please advise based on my limited knowledge of smokers/ cookers. Thanks in advance...

Libertarian
07-17-2012, 08:53 PM
I have a Large Big Green Egg, a park and rec style charcoal in ground mounted grill by my pool and a gasser. I'm building a UDS from a kit because I like the way it looks and I'm considering an additional smoker similar to a stumps or one of the other high end back yard smokers (dont want to spend over $2500) First question; what will any other cooker smoker do other than volume of cook do that my BGE won't do? I've noticed from reading here many of you have Big Green Eggs in addition to many others. I need recommendations and advice on whether I should even buy another cooker. I'm new so please advise based on my limited knowledge of smokers/ cookers. Thanks in advance...

I have a Kamado Joe which cooks just like an Egg. I've cooked on several eggs. They are good smokers, but they are better grills. Possibly the best steak grill on the planet earth. BUT, when it comes to smoking ribs and brisket they are average at best IMO. I've done ribs on an old, rusty offset that were far superior to any I've done on my ceramic (and I would consider myself an advanced user with consistently good results). It's hard to cook a brisket on a ceramic and turn out championship quality. Heck, it might be impossible. With a vertical or offset smoker you will get more consistently strong results when smoking meat. I'm 100% convinced of that and it's why I'm buying a vertical pit.

bbqchicken
07-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Seems like you already have your bases covered. Maybe a pizza oven?

Libertarian
07-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Excepting the capacity for a second, a ceramic is the most versatile cooker on the market IMO. That said, as you get more serious you want more advanced tools. That's pretty much where I am right now.

Rubmyrock
07-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Any suggestions on vertical pits under $2500. I'm looking for something that likewise looks awesome.... We have a lot of pool parties and I want a highly functional conversation piece to add to my collection.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/Crest2/667a9579.jpg

JiveTurkey
07-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Egg sandwich anybody?

Libertarian
07-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Egg sandwich anybody?

Left yes, right no. Open-faced sammie perhaps.

Libertarian
07-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Any suggestions on vertical pits under $2500. I'm looking for something that likewise looks awesome.... We have a lot of pool parties and I want a highly functional conversation piece to add to my collection.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/Crest2/667a9579.jpg

I would probably look hard at an Assassin Smoker by Jeff Conley in that price range. Also DW Cookers. You could also get a Pitmaker Safe for roughly $2500 on a cart.

isolated01
07-17-2012, 09:16 PM
I have 3 eggs, a weber performer, a smoky joe and an electric insulated smoker. I would like to get a Santa Maria style pit next.

luke duke
07-18-2012, 11:46 AM
You could get a Jambo backyard shipped to you and come in under budget.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138795

PaPaQ
07-18-2012, 12:50 PM
If you are looking for a gravity smoker give Scott a call. He is located in Rock Hill and does build some nice smokers.

SteelCraft Products
Rock Hill, SC. 29730
Phone, 800-504-2036

yakdung
07-18-2012, 01:07 PM

I wouldn't purchase anything else at this point. Continue to cook more and try and cook as many different items as you can. As time goes on, your recipes and experience will dictate what equipment you will need next. When I first started cooking animals, we started with a shovel, angle iron tacked with expanded metal, bricks and hot simmering mesquite coals. Learn to control the fire first. I would recommend purchasing a few books like Paul Kirk's or Myron Mixon's. Good luck.

abangs
07-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Backwoods Fatboy....gloss black with stainless doors.... Goes very well with dark hair...and has a cool name!!!!!!!

charrederhead
07-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Egg sandwich anybody?

:clap2:

Libertarian
07-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Backwoods Fatboy....gloss black with stainless doors.... Goes very well with dark hair...and has a cool name!!!!!!!

Scott Farrell of Steelcraft told me today he's no longer producing smokers. Was a bit of a smart ass about it too (when I suggested he should take the webpage down to avoid unwanted solicitations). Not sure what the deal is but it was disappointing given his proximity to me and the chance to save on shipping.

Oh well...

Trumpstylz
07-18-2012, 07:17 PM
I personally like the offsets, but if you like vertical, then stumps, backwoods, pitmaker.

These also look good-

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139041

Libertarian
07-18-2012, 07:18 PM
If you are looking for a gravity smoker give Scott a call. He is located in Rock Hill and does build some nice smokers.

SteelCraft Products
Rock Hill, SC. 29730
Phone, 800-504-2036

Maybe he will get a different answer than I did - I sent Scott an email asking more about his smokers today and he told me he wasn't producing them anymore due to the poor economy.

Libertarian
07-18-2012, 07:21 PM
I personally like the offsets, but if you like vertical, then stumps, backwoods, pitmaker.

These also look good-

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139041

I have decided to go with an R&O "Fatgirl" vertical pit on the table shown in that link. If anyone is interested in pricing they can PM me. Billy Overton has been a pleasure to deal with and his pit has won several GC's of late. I realize it is mostly the skill of the cook but you need consistent equipment and the Fatgirl is apparently very consistent in terms of temps, air flow, etc...made out of all 12-gauge laser cut steel.

SimcoBBQ
07-18-2012, 07:50 PM
My vote would be a Stump's , wait time is a little long but he builds a great quality insulated pit.

Swine Spectator
07-18-2012, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't purchase anything else at this point. Continue to cook more and try and cook as many different items as you can. As time goes on, your recipes and experience will dictate what equipment you will need next. When I first started cooking animals, we started with a shovel, angle iron tacked with expanded metal, bricks and hot simmering mesquite coals. Learn to control the fire first. I would recommend purchasing a few books like Paul Kirk's or Myron Mixon's. Good luck.

+1. Buy $2500 worth of meat.