PDA

View Full Version : A Method to Cooking Bacon

kingsnob
07-17-2012, 12:49 PM
I was talking to a friend the other day, and he was telling me about some food show he was watching. Rick Bayless of Chicago was on it, talking about a new way to cook bacon.
He takes the Bacon and puts 2 or 3 thick cut slices in a vacuum sealed bag. He then puts the bag into 140 degree water, and leaves it in there for a long time.:crazy:
It is supposed to render out the fat, and cook the Bacon without shriveling it all up. It is basically supposed to almost melt in your mouth.
My question is, at 140 degrees, wouldn’t the Bacon be undercooked? Also is 140 degrees in the Danger zone for bacon? My buddy wants to try it, but I don’t know if I want to help him poison himself.
John

Myrdhyn
07-17-2012, 12:52 PM
This is what your buddy is talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide

Pappy
07-17-2012, 01:24 PM
It does look unhealthy. Thats a long time to cook. You can make perfect bacon in the oven.

MS2SB
07-17-2012, 01:30 PM
+1^^^

Lay it out on a cooling rack over a sheet pan, into the oven @ 400* for about 10-15. Perfect, straight, crispy bacon.

yakdung
07-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Seven minutes in a microwave on two Chinet oval paper plates. One for the bacon strips and one inverted to cover. When done, let cool and then place in those cheap grocery plastic bags then toss. I'm certain the method you are describing will only invite trouble.

neuyawk
07-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Of all the foodfads out there, and yes I know it has historical precedent, Sous Vide is the one I wish to die the most. When I worked in fine dining, cooking was theatrical. Flames shooting up from brandy deglazes, searing stuff off on the grill. The sizzle of a thick lobe of foie gras in a hot pan.

And now people are paying top dollar for boil in a bag? All these people cooking beef in that vacumn sealed bag, plopping into a water machine and cooking the darn thing for 12 hours and STILL doesn't taste better than my broiler seared steaks at my local steak house. Soon that will be what culinary students study - take protein, put into bag, put bag into water.

landarc
07-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Sous-vide is a valid tool in cooking and produces a particular product that can be amazing in texture and offers a very pure flavor for a given ingredient. Is it good for bacon, well, that would depend on whether you think bacon is all about pork, or all about carmelized fat, and salt.

I can say, I have had sous vide pork belly, it is not my cup of tea. But, it is meltingly tender, like no BBQ or bacon you have ever had. I don't care for it. On the other hand, sous vide some really fresh small carrots, it is really delicious.

troytime
07-17-2012, 03:09 PM
sous vide can produce absolutely amazing results

the ignorance some of you are showing is saddening.

luke duke
07-17-2012, 03:38 PM
I refuse to cook bacon in anything other than a cast iron skillet.

ksu1971
07-17-2012, 03:43 PM
sous vide can produce absolutely amazing results

the ignorance some of you are showing is saddening.

You know I take offense to that statement. The OP posted a question to a bunch of BBQ people and we gave our honest opinion. The site is not called "Boil In A Bag" Brethren its BBQ Brethren. We like to cook with smoke and fire not water and plastic. I am not saying this is not a valid cooking method and I am sure you can get some fine results but to call us ignorant is not necessary.

hnd
07-17-2012, 03:45 PM
i have had sous vide prepaired food in high end restaurants and at other peoples homes. nothing i've ever had has blown me away.

bigabyte
07-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Oh, Puh-LEAZE!!!

Everyone knows the best bacon comes from a crock pot.

landarc
07-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Actually, the right voltage regulator and thermocouple, you can make a serviceable sous vide cooker with a crock pot.

troytime
07-17-2012, 04:45 PM
You know I take offense to that statement. The OP posted a question to a bunch of BBQ people and we gave our honest opinion. The site is not called "Boil In A Bag" Brethren its BBQ Brethren. We like to cook with smoke and fire not water and plastic. I am not saying this is not a valid cooking method and I am sure you can get some fine results but to call us ignorant is not necessary.

sorry. i didn't mean to offend.

ignorance is an opportunity to learn :)

the overall topic of the site doesn't really seem relevant.

charrederhead
07-17-2012, 04:48 PM
I use the makin bacon microwave rack cuz it's quick and easy.

retired trucker
07-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Actually I like my bacon cooked, however it is done is not worth fighting over, as long as it is not boiled. Unless of course you are boiling in a pot of beans etc for flavor. My preferred method is fried in its own collected rendering. (Don't tell my heart doctor I said that.)

Bluesman
07-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Just buy the precooked. You can eat that on the ride home from the store :shock:

bigkahunaranch
07-17-2012, 05:55 PM
I am with the oven crowd-
I always had trouble getting bacon cooked just right on the stove.
Then I discovered the oven method and bacon comes out really, really good.

Zin
07-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Prick the bacon with a fork and pan fry it to perfection without the bacon curling up. Pricking the bacon with the fork is key to keep the bacon from curling up.

humblegriller
07-17-2012, 09:54 PM
As far as the safety of cooking to a final temp of 140, because of the much longer cook time the bacon is actually "Pasteurized". The little baddies are killed at a lower temp by leaving it there for a longer time. Milk is Pasteurized for example.

gtr
07-17-2012, 09:59 PM
I've noticed home made bacon tends to not curl up. Tastes better too! :thumb:

Just had a BLT with nice, straight home made bacon. :hungry:

Cast iron for me btw, but I would try that method just to see what it's like.

rustysmoker
07-17-2012, 10:44 PM
I stoke up the gasser, lay it on the racks, and grill 'er. Gotta watch it close or it will produce amazing flare ups but I can do a pound of bacon in about 10 mins and no clean up. I figure thats what grease collectors are for. Not sure I would enjoy the water version. It has to have that crunch.

Dreggs
07-17-2012, 10:56 PM
No moink balls? No poppers?

charrederhead
07-18-2012, 12:03 AM
i grilled some on vacation in New Hampshire over the 4th.

gotta love a rental cabin that comes w/ a 22.5 OTS!

charrederhead
07-18-2012, 12:11 AM
On the Bucket List- a trip to Minnesota to that joint that makes BLTs using a pound of bacon! :grin:

MisterChrister
07-18-2012, 12:15 AM
I prefer it as Pig Candy, either smoked or in the oven. I DARE you to not eat at least a pound!!!

captndan
07-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Some people will do anything to get attention. KISS

pmad
07-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Actually I like my bacon cooked, however it is done is not worth fighting over, as long as it is not boiled. Unless of course you are boiling in a pot of beans etc for flavor. My preferred method is fried in its own collected rendering. (Don't tell my heart doctor I said that.)

Actually, it gives a decent result.
I found it time consuming if you're making more than 4-5 slices (and who makes just 4-5 slices).
But the results were pretty good.

Super Quick Video Tips: How to Make the Most Perfect Bacon Ever - YouTube