PDA

View Full Version : Lobster on the Webber Genesis (pr0n)

kennyd0118
07-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Fired up the gasser tonight.
Grilled five lobsters. They are incredibly cheap right now.
The lobsterman are are refusing to go out because they are catching too many. We decided to do our part increasing demand.
http://kennydonahue.com/BGE/food/lob2.JPG

-Kenny

QDoc
07-16-2012, 07:32 PM
I helped increase demand myself over the 4 July week in Freeport, Me and near Rockland, Me. Had a wonderful vacation.

BobM
07-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Nice. I haven't had a lobster for a while, gotta get some.

Homebrewed Q
07-16-2012, 08:20 PM
mmmmmmm.............Lobster........

MisterChrister
07-16-2012, 08:43 PM
When my mom was a little girl, they had very little money for niceties like lobster BUT one day my grandpa decided to surprise the family with a once-in-a-lifetime treat; live LOBSTER! Needless to say, grandma had NO idea how to cook these handsome devils, but grandpa remembered the seafood vendor saying they were delicious simply boiled and served with drawn butter. SO, long story short, grandma dropped the live lobsters into the pot of water, put it on the stove, and watched in horror as they jockeyed for top position and tried to climb out of the pot until they finally gave in to the increasingly hot water and succumbed to their fate! My mom was a little girl with a keen memory who couldn't eat lobster for years after! Note to Clark: If you repeat this story to anyone in P-Ville and grandma finds out I posted it on the World Wide Web, I will probably be dis-inherited :cry:.

Big Bears BBQ
07-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Nice tails ................

NorCalQue
07-17-2012, 01:24 AM
Oh!!!! I love sea-rat. Maybe the "lobster-men" could bring a load via Panama to the left coast so we could get a sample. :mrgreen:

pkuiper
07-17-2012, 04:20 AM
Lobster is awesome, I really like it! Looks very good!

kennyd0118
07-17-2012, 07:59 AM
I'm told it was good. I'm not a huge lobster fan. Give me a nice steak or a hunk of pig anyday.
My girlfriend and son love lobster so I cook it for them.
Kenny

kennyd0118
07-17-2012, 08:05 AM
When my mom was a little girl, they had very little money for niceties like lobster BUT one day my grandpa decided to surprise the family with a once-in-a-lifetime treat; live LOBSTER! Needless to say, grandma had NO idea how to cook these handsome devils, but grandpa remembered the seafood vendor saying they were delicious simply boiled and served with drawn butter. SO, long story short, grandma dropped the live lobsters into the pot of water, put it on the stove, and watched in horror as they jockeyed for top position and tried to climb out of the pot until they finally gave in to the increasingly hot water and succumbed to their fate! My mom was a little girl with a keen memory who couldn't eat lobster for years after! Note to Clark: If you repeat this story to anyone in P-Ville and grandma finds out I posted it on the World Wide Web, I will probably be dis-inherited :cry:.

Lots of ways to dispatch a lobster. The boiling water is fine but make sure it is boiling and drop them in head first then toss on the lid. You may hear them clunking around a bit but it's just the nervous system. They are very dead. To avoid the clunking, put them in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. This numbs them down. There are a ton of videos that show how to pith the lobster with knife. This is what I did with these.
Now go support our lobster men!
Kenny

BigBlock
07-17-2012, 08:35 AM
very nice

MisterChrister
07-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Lots of ways to dispatch a lobster. The boiling water is fine but make sure it is boiling and drop them in head first then toss on the lid. You may hear them clunking around a bit but it's just the nervous system. They are very dead. To avoid the clunking, put them in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. This numbs them down. There are a ton of videos that show how to pith the lobster with knife. This is what I did with these.
Kenny

Yeah I know better (granny didn't), it's just a funny story that grandma wishes would go away!

Hunterman95
07-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Kenny

Having grown up in New England, I know a technique for putting lobsters to sleep before they hit the Jacuzzi. Just stand them on their head, with their claws supporting them, and rub the top of their tail repeatedly (as if petting a dog) for about a minute. Let go and they'll remain standing on their heads and be sound asleep :sleep:.

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt207/hunterman95/07-04-08_1745.jpg

When you're ready, just pick them up & drop them in. By the time they realize it's not just a bad dream, it will be too late! :rip:

Don't know if it's more humane, but it makes for a heck of a show!

Porcine Perfection
07-17-2012, 04:53 PM
I am so jealous! These are the only lobsters we have in Missouri.

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCNN81sGKdCfulHV5iLqdCgLH1nZjcE J_aO8w8LHMCT6UG3btNJA

They look delicious!

Hotrodhog
07-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Wicked Awesome!

cliffcarter
07-17-2012, 08:32 PM
...They are incredibly cheap right now.
The lobsterman are are refusing to go out because they are catching too many...
-Kenny

They're not fishing because the $2.50/lb that they get from the broker doesn't cover the expense of fuel and bait. I suspect demand is down because of the poor economy and because the shedders hit the traps earlier than usual this year. Shedders, or soft shell lobsters, have not grown into their new shells and appear to have less meat than they do when they are in the hard shell stage, which is when the are fully grown into the shell. Shedders are traditionally cheaper than hard shell lobsters. In any event many Maine lobstermen are tying up or fishing for something else until the price goes up.

kennyd0118
07-18-2012, 11:08 AM
They're not fishing because the $2.50/lb that they get from the broker doesn't cover the expense of fuel and bait. I suspect demand is down because of the poor economy and because the shedders hit the traps earlier than usual this year. Shedders, or soft shell lobsters, have not grown into their new shells and appear to have less meat than they do when they are in the hard shell stage, which is when the are fully grown into the shell. Shedders are traditionally cheaper than hard shell lobsters. In any event many Maine lobstermen are tying up or fishing for something else until the price goes up.

That is most of it. The $2.50 Per lb is barely covering their fuel, bait and crew costs. Plus the lobsters are finding their way into the traps in record numbers.
You are also right that these are soft shell so the meat to size ratio is low.
Kenny

ChuckieD
07-18-2012, 01:12 PM
about 30 years ago my daughter and son bought wife and I lobsters for Valentines Day dinner, We picked them out at store and after arriving home we named them and raced them across the dining room table and then stood them on end to give them a rest, was quite trematic when I opened up that big pot and dropped them in, cried through dinner they did, but Mom and I enjoyed...

charrederhead
07-18-2012, 01:12 PM
:-P

This may be the wrong place to admit lobster is my favorite animal to eat.

Teleking
07-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Oh!!!! I love sea-rat. Maybe the "lobster-men" could bring a load via Panama to the left coast so we could get a sample. :mrgreen:

Aside from all the other soft shell comment, they don't travel well for shipping. They really need to process or eat local cause dead ain't good eats.

Gonna pick up 14 to 16 this weekend.

slow-smoker
07-18-2012, 04:42 PM
The lobsta looks fantastic. Too far south to get them at a good price.