PDA

View Full Version : what kind of peper is this and are they ready

LT72884
07-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Ok so i have some peppers i planted. Three types. Bells, anniheims and some other species. I dont remember what they are and the tag is gone. Can any one help me figure out what they are and if they are ready.

Also, i have no idea what to do with the anniheims and what ever this pepper is. What should i do with them right now since i have no idea when im going to use them and i dont want them to spoil?

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk186/LT72884/IMAG2377.jpg

thanks guys.

MS2SB
07-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Those look like cayennes to me. That one is pretty close to ready I'd give it one more day of sun.

bluetang
07-15-2012, 06:31 PM
They look like cayenne peppers. Let em get red.

DLR
07-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Don't know much about peppers, but they're either cayenne or tabasco is what they look like to me.

LT72884
07-15-2012, 07:29 PM
oh dang. ok cool. Thats good to know. Now i just need to find a way to preserve them.

ddweatherholtz
07-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Definitely cayenne.

Prosit!
Doug-E-Q

ddweatherholtz
07-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Smoke then then grind them for rub.

Prosit!
Doug-E-Q

jestridge
07-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Not tabico too long , cayenne ,you could pickle them or dry and grind

mytmouz
07-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Cayenne. And the redder they are, the hotter they are. You can pull them green for a milder heat. I usually put mine in a sterilized jar with a drop of vegetable oil, then fill with white vinegar...

landarc
07-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Anaheims can be eaten fresh, even stuffed. But, they are very nice if you ripen them and them smoke and dry them. They make a great dried pepper and a nice powder as well. Just let them get ripe, pick and smoke over a low heat for an hour or so. Cold smoke if fine for this. Then hang in the sun until dry.

Cayenne is what I think the mmystery pepper is too. needs more time, to get really ripe. then hang to dry.

LT72884
07-15-2012, 07:56 PM
awesome info guys. ok so if i smoke em on low heat for roughly an hour then i hang to dry in sun till dry. is there a special way to hang them? Ie the peppers have to be upside down or in a special posistion?

thanx.

landarc
07-15-2012, 08:00 PM
I string them up with a heavy thread sewn through the stems.

ddweatherholtz
07-15-2012, 08:07 PM
What he said. And they are quite decrotive.

Prosit!
Doug-E-Q

bluetang
07-15-2012, 08:20 PM
If you get a lot, you can ferment them(cayenne) and make a killer sauce.

LT72884
07-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Cayenne. And the redder they are, the hotter they are. You can pull them green for a milder heat. I usually put mine in a sterilized jar with a drop of vegetable oil, then fill with white vinegar...

then do you just eat them? is this a way of pickiling sorta speak?

Thanks

@ landarc and others. thanks for explaining how to hang the peppers. I am excited to dry them and use them for a rub or rubs. BUt i would like to see a recipe for a sauce. that wood be cool. thanks guys

mytmouz
07-15-2012, 10:32 PM
then do you just eat them? is this a way of pickiling sorta speak?

Thanks

@ landarc and others. thanks for explaining how to hang the peppers. I am excited to dry them and use them for a rub or rubs. BUt i would like to see a recipe for a sauce. that wood be cool. thanks guys

Pepper sauce. In my region, it goes over collards, turnips, etc. But I also will pull them out of the brine and rinse them and use them as well...

Zin
07-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Definitely cayenne.

Prosit!
Doug-E-Q
+1 on definitely cayenne...

JMSetzler
07-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Preserving Cayennes is easy because they dry so nicely. You can simply leave them out in the sun after you cut them or put them on a window sill and let them dry. You can string them up and let them hang outside under an awning out of the weather as well (ristra.) It's hard to screw those up. They aren't as fleshy as something like a habanero, jalapeno, or serrano, so they won't rot before they dry out. You can put them in a dehydrator if you want to but it's really not necessary with those peppers.

Barbarian BBQ
07-16-2012, 12:30 AM
I mix Anaheims in with my green and red peppers when I make fajitas. It REALLY adds something.

LT72884
07-16-2012, 01:22 AM
AWESOME guys. this is pretty cool. i planted 12 pepper plants, 4 of each kind. haha. im so glad they are cayennes and that they dry well. the anniheims are gonn be stuffed and smoked for dinner this week. ill try and dry some of those as well. i hope there just as easy as the cayannes.

thanks guys.

so many things to try now, fajitas and a pepper brine. maybe some infused olive oils. mmm

Ringburner
07-16-2012, 02:21 AM
[QUOTE=ddweatherholtz;2136353]Definitely cayenne.

Totally agree....

Sent from my GT-I9100

smokesalad
07-16-2012, 07:22 AM
There are a huge variety of peppers shaped like that and a huge variety of cayenns of different lengths,thicknesses and heat levels. For a good reference try chileplants.com. They should be ripe when red, some are yellow and purple but yours look like they are turning red. My grandfather would string them up to dry and eat them with pinto beans. One of my early memories is of the ever present string of peppers in his back entrance. Watch out though, some are pretty hot.

bluetang
07-16-2012, 09:04 AM
This is what I did with my last batch. Google "fermenting peppers" and you will get other methods and recipes.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/23146-fermenting-peppers-101/

Jethro1
07-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Assuming that you want them to reach full maturity, let them go until they're all red. They don't change so fast that they'll go bad. As far as drying them, just put them in a paper bag and wait until they're dry. I've been growing peppers for years and have learned to simplify things. If you dry them out (say in the oven or something) they will loose some heat. Let the oil of the pepper wall "soak in" rather than "burn off". People have done it and it works just fine, but I have found some heat is lost. Not a lot though. Also, if you do pick them early (a little red) they will conitnue to turn a bit off the plant. Not much though.

LT72884
07-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Lactic acid sounds very familar. Is that what is found in milk that cause lactose in-tolorance? Ok it doesnt cause it but thats what people are intolorant to is hte milk acid. hmm interesting.

thanks for the info. ill give the peppers a few more days then ill dry them out. Gonna take one of the dried ones and add it to a bottle of olive oil.

thanks guys

MS2SB
07-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Lactic acid sounds very familar. Is that what is found in milk that cause lactose in-tolorance?

Lactic acid is a substance produced by the body during aerobic excercise. Its one of the substances responsible for you getting sore after a hard work-out. The substance in milk which people are sensitive to is Lactose, a sugar which some people lack the enzyme to breakdown.

LT72884
07-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Lactic acid is a substance produced by the body during aerobic excercise. Its one of the substances responsible for you getting sore after a hard work-out. The substance in milk which people are sensitive to is Lactose, a sugar which some people lack the enzyme to breakdown.

i think i was thinking of prolactin. haha. i asked my mom(head nurse at u of u) and she said what you said. haha.

thanks

toadhunter911
07-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Anaheims, tomatillos, jalapenos, a habanero, onion, and garlic roasted, than tossed into a food processor with some salt, pepper, raw jalapeno, and cilantro, make a fine green salsa verde.