PDA

View Full Version : Low-Sugar Rubs/ Mops

VitaminQ
10-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Any of youse guys have any experience with low-sugar rubs and/or mops. I'm doing this low-carb thing, and would like to expunge the sugar from my Q if at all possible. I may try replacing rub sugar with a little Splenda, but that just seems like it's gonna fail for some reason.
I usually use apple juice and beer in my mops, both of which are out-of-bounds for now. I was thinking about some sugar-free flavored drink mix or Snapple or something maybe with some cider vinegar.
I also have no idea how you might even figure how much sugar would actually end up in a serving of briket, butt, etc. after being rubbed and mopped with sugar-containing stuff. Any ideas?

(Mods: feel free to move this to the Low-carb board if it belongs there)

Bill-Chicago
10-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Dreamland BBQ sauce is pretty Atkins friendly, as are most vinegar based sauces

www.dreamlandbbq.com (http://www.dreamlandbbq.com)

other link deleted as it was not bbq related

(http://www.dreamland.com)

ggeilman
10-12-2005, 01:57 PM
You know that is just an invitation for me to do that when I get home. Locked out from it here at work.

Bill-Chicago
10-12-2005, 01:59 PM
I see shipping is still free.

4 Quarts for $36 is the one I use to get.

jt
10-12-2005, 02:32 PM
You know that is just an invitation for me to do that when I get home. Locked out from it here at work.
The bbq site or the other one? :twisted:

ggeilman
10-12-2005, 02:36 PM
:biggrin: I can get to the bbq site

chad
10-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Sugar substituetes will suck in que mop or rub. This applies to diet drinks, too.

Use cider - plain is fine - for a spray if you just have to spray. You can use it to moisten the meat to hold your rub, too.

Just drop the sugar in your rub along with some of the salt (they work together to develop the flavors).

If you feel like you must have some sweetness I'd recommend using turbinado sugar in place of the brown or white sugar and perhaps put it on the meat before you put your rub on.

Bill-Chicago
10-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Good point Chad. Forgot that when I originally saw it.

Diet drinks. Don't even try it. 2 kinds of substitute. Nutrasweet (Diet Coke, Pepsi, et al) are not cookable sugar substitutes.

Splenda (Coke Zero) can be used in baking, but I'd still shy away from it.

So I'm throwing this one back at Chad.

David, in your hab jelly, is there alot of sugar (I know there is vinegar)

My point, is glazing ribs with hab jelly atkins friendly?

chad
10-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Each batch has about 6 cups of sugar - it's a true jelly. So, no, it's not Atkins friendly!

Bill-Chicago
10-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Each batch has about 6 cups of sugar - it's a true jelly. So, no, it's not Atkins friendly!

Would you ever consider trying it with Splenda? At 6 cups (Splenda is a 1 to 1 ratio versus Nutrasweet which is whacked (for those playing at home)) it would definitely be pricey, but I would shoot you down a Costco bag of Splenda (we buy it by the case for my kid) if you'd ever care to give it a whirl.

I got 2 jars left, and I'm now craving ribs :-D

spicewine
10-12-2005, 10:17 PM
I think you all missed the concept. People like me are alowed a few carbs per meal. Therefore no substitute that I have found is ever going to take the place of good Q. One must just moderate the amount of the good things and still enjoy what we have. I have been working for the last year to produce a "Low Carb--Low Sugar" BBQ Sauce that has a competition flavor. So far No Luck. I am still too high in carbs. I even went exotic and tried to use the Mexican ,Agave plant sweetner which is low in sugar and carbs but does not exactly work well with the other ingredients. I don't give up very easily--.

I do enjoy my BBQ sauces but I have to rember the 2 Tablespoon limit for the carbs.

Just rember 2 tablespoons of the good stuff ---is better than none at all.

Go Low Carb but don't give up the things you love--everything is moderation.

chad
10-13-2005, 06:39 AM
I made a Splenda batch - it sucked. The sugar is a component of the jelly - I didn't have any xantham gum to stabilize it - now I do so I may try it again.

I agree with Jay, I don't give up sauces just because of the sugar/carb thing. Maybe during "induction" you have to lay off but after that a few grams won't kill your low carb diet.

VitaminQ
10-13-2005, 07:36 AM
Thanks!
I'm not that worried about the sauces, to be honest. I use very little sauce anyway, so it's not that big a deal for me. It sounds like I can leave the sugar out of rubs and still come up with a good product. I've already come up with a pretty decent sugar-free poultry rub. That may be another case of a little bit not being a deal-breaker. I've been using some Head Country rub and haven't broken the bank. Same way with mops. I was just wondering if there was a good way to cut some of the sugar out of this stuff without sacrificing too much. Thank God in Heaven that fatties are low-carb!

Anyone ever use stevia for anything? I haven't, but I've read a little bit about it, and was wondering. It's a Stevia wonder, so to speak.

ggeilman
10-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Hmmm, seems they didn't pay their domain fees.

slat
10-13-2005, 08:23 PM
I use a salt-free greek seasoning (Cavenders) and some Kosher salt for a rub sometimes. Not bad stuff. Another option you might try.