PDA

View Full Version : Curing Wood


Swine Spectator
07-15-2012, 11:15 AM
In the wood chunk thread, someone posted a link to fruitawood.com. On that site they say that you should not cook with mold on it and you should not try to remove the mold. They say to discard the wood.

I usually buy Oak or Pecan splits from Academy. However I recently bought a chainsaw. We had a big storm pass through a few weeks back and I found a huge oak branch down on the side of the road. I cut it up and brought it home. It has been stacked on the side of the house curing for the fall. We have been having steady rain and I notices a little mold on the ends. Should I throw it out? Do you think I can salvage it by making lump out of it?

David
The Swine Spectator

CarolinaQue
07-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Do you have a saw you can just cut the ends off with? How moldy is it? A little won't be much of a concern IMO. If it's really moldy, then definately toss it...but a little moldy, I would salvage it.

cliffcarter
07-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Unless someone in your family has a mold allergy then you are OK IMHO. However get the wood out of the wet ASAP or the mold will continue to grow. Dry conditions inhibit mold growth.

CarolinaQue
07-15-2012, 02:44 PM
1) Keep wood off of the ground while storing and curing.

2) Store it where it get's sun and wind.

3) Keep it covered when it's not being used. Although, I do take the tarps off of mine when it's not raining. Sunlight keeps mod and bacteria from growing.

Swine Spectator
07-15-2012, 09:35 PM
It's on a rack and gets plenty of sun, but we've had rain everyday for abou two weeks.

retired trucker
07-15-2012, 10:04 PM
When the rain stops, get some air and sunshine to it, it will be ok. Good air circulation is important.

JMSetzler
07-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Can you not spray down the moldy area with a little rubbing alcohol?