PDA

View Full Version : How to you prep your smoking wood to get fist-sized pieces out of chunks?

This is not your pork!
07-10-2012, 02:44 PM
This subject really gets annoying, I did not think that being so difficult.

I got another box of rather large chunks of apple wood from a neighbor. The problem is, I still have no saw or ax to cut those chunks into small pieces.

I tried to borrow some wood saws from a neighbor, but they looked more like something for cutting down whole trees, and I have no trestle to fixate the wood either.

Then went to a local home depot, and tried to cut my wood with a buzz saw they have available for free use, but they did not allow me to use it on that wood, because it would be too dangerous and told me such wood can only be cut into such small pieces with a chain saw. I took a look at their offerings on chain saws, when a nice guy told me how he does such a task. He uses a small electrical chain saw and a kid trestle, and it just works.

Since that home depot did not have such a small electrical chain saw and such a kid trestle, I went home without a purchase. I guess I will have to look online.

Luckily I found workers of a construction company nearby, and one guy offered his help, cutting down my wood with a (large) chain saw. He succeeded, but mentioned that it was really a hard job to do.

So right now I have a stock of wood which surely lasts for several cooks, but then I am stuck again with that problem.

So how exactly do you cut your rather large chunks of wood into small pieces?

Is a small electrical chain saw and a kid trestle really the best option?

TurkeyLeg
07-10-2012, 02:47 PM
how about a vice and a sawzall?

yakdung
07-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Bandsaw. I have an old delta 14" I use. It saves money because I can purchase wood by the stack and then cut to size. Also, might want to consider removing the bark as some claim it adds bitterness to the smoke flavor.

Good luck,

DaveMW
07-10-2012, 02:51 PM
I actually use an electric chainsaw for my smaller stuff (6.35cm and smaller) but that is just because I am already own it since goes on a pole so I can trim larger high reach branches. But otherwise I'd be using a gas powered chainsaw for larger things and a pruning saw for 6.53cm and smaller.

Jason TQ
07-10-2012, 03:00 PM
For temporary use I would think you could inexpensively purchase a decent hatchet to cut up bigger chunks. Seems like a decent fix to a problem you are running into a lot.

El Ropo
07-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Cordless sawzall or circular saw to cut up the longer logs against the grain, then a cold chisel and hammer to split the circular pieces into smaller pie slice shaped chunks.

NBBD
07-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Cordless sawzall or circular saw to cut up the longer logs against the grain, then a cold chisel and hammer to split the circular pieces into smaller pie slice shaped chunks.

I have used a backsaw, then a chisel and hammer as well

tawd77
07-10-2012, 05:17 PM
I use an air chisel. Breaks aparts large chunks fast!

homesmoke
07-10-2012, 05:54 PM

Great idea. I now realize that I own a "pneumatic splitter", and can eliminate the swinging of a splitting maul. Trying to hit a small piece exactly to produce the desired size was "hit and miss" at best.

Air chisel will allow size control. Wow, light bulb moment, what a great tip. :clap2:

Thanks

caseydog
07-10-2012, 06:02 PM
I tend to grab branches that are two inches or so when I get a chance to get free wood, and that allows me to use my old Craftsman chop saw to cut round chunks, that I then split with a cheap hatchet.

If you have six inch logs to cut down into chunks, you will probably need a chain saw, and an electric one is an economical and low maintenance option. Then you can split the wood with a cheap hatchet.

I've owned gas chain saws for cutting down trees, and an electric one for pruning my trees, and the electric one makes more sense for what you are wanting to do.

You can easily build something to hold your logs for chainsaw cutting out of scrap lumber.

CD

Pappy
07-10-2012, 06:31 PM
I have load of split hickory. I cut the smaller pieces on a table say into chunks.

5string
07-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Never thought of using mine for that. I even have a nice wide thin blade. Thanks for that tip.

tawd77
07-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Yeah, the wide tips work best. Makes very quick work of it, and you have great control over the size chunks you make.

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
07-10-2012, 06:41 PM
A hammer and a chisel will get the Job done and be a lot cheaper.

Drh7003
07-10-2012, 08:22 PM
I use a bandsaw most of the time, but I have a full wood shop. So I have used many others from time to time.
If you can get a reciprocating saw,these blades are the shiznit:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Skil-Ugly-Reciprocating-Saw-Blade-for-Wood/16520050

I get them at Home Despot...They saw wood very well...

nthole
07-10-2012, 08:50 PM
I use a mitre saw when I can. Nice and easy, just keep feeding and pulling down. There are inexpensive ones to be had at place like Harbor Freight, but I have no idea what something like that might cost over in Europe.

This is not your pork!
07-11-2012, 03:33 AM
There is a special offer at a local discounter supermarket chain coming up next week:

Crosscut and Mitre Saw @ €129 ~ $160
http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t510/This_is_not_your_pork/Miscellaneous/crosscut_and_mitre_saw.png

Universal Reciprocating Saw (like Sawzall) €39.99 ~ $50
http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t510/This_is_not_your_pork/Miscellaneous/universal_reciprocating_saw.png

The Crosscut and Mitre Saw has a carbide saw blade with a diameter of 10", and the Universal Reciprocating Saw has a max. cutting depth for wood of about 4.53".

Since I don't have a workbench or timber jack to fixate the wood chunks for cutting, the Crosscut and Mitre Saw, which already comes with the steady stand as seen in the picture, might be my best bet. I don't know how much of a bargain this offer is, will have to look first. I find the idea with the electrical chain saw and kid trestle good as well.

Hammer and chisel or such an air chisel may work as well, so I still have to think about it.

NorthwestBBQ
07-11-2012, 06:08 AM
The band saw is the king of the perfect chunk.

nthole
07-11-2012, 08:26 AM
That mitre saw would make quick work of most logs. If the log is to big cut on side, spin around, cut the other, doesn't have to be perfect cuts to smoke with.

That's what I would go with. Reciprocating saw means you'll need to brace and clamp the wood and hope it doesn't kick back.

Sean "Puffy" Coals
07-11-2012, 09:14 AM
I've been using a new technique that seems to be working great so far- I take a split about as long as my basket is deep and stand it up in the middle of the basket. Then I fill in around it with Kingsford briquettes and dump half a chimney full of lit briqs on top. WAAAAAAAAYYY easier than breaking the wood up into "fist-size chunks." I've only been smoking with cherry wood, so this method might not work for oak, etc. Might give too strong of a smokey flavor.

1FUNVET
07-11-2012, 09:38 AM
There is a special offer at a local discounter supermarket chain coming up next week:

Crosscut and Mitre Saw @ €129 ~ $160
http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t510/This_is_not_your_pork/Miscellaneous/crosscut_and_mitre_saw.png

Universal Reciprocating Saw (like Sawzall) €39.99 ~ $50
http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t510/This_is_not_your_pork/Miscellaneous/universal_reciprocating_saw.png

The Crosscut and Mitre Saw has a carbide saw blade with a diameter of 10", and the Universal Reciprocating Saw has a max. cutting depth for wood of about 4.53".

Since I don't have a workbench or timber jack to fixate the wood chunks for cutting, the Crosscut and Mitre Saw, which already comes with the steady stand as seen in the picture, might be my best bet. I don't know how much of a bargain this offer is, will have to look first. I find the idea with the electrical chain saw and kid trestle good as well.

Hammer and chisel or such an air chisel may work as well, so I still have to think about it.

I use a chop saw like the crosscut saw.

Lake Dogs
07-11-2012, 09:43 AM
A different direction, but what about using a larger smoker, one able to work better with larger chunks?... Then again, buying a cool tool is always fun, even though it doesn't make much sense here. What is it that you're using that requires tiny little chunks?

This is not your pork!
07-11-2012, 02:18 PM
I've been using a new technique that seems to be working great so far- I take a split about as long as my basket is deep and stand it up in the middle of the basket. Then I fill in around it with Kingsford briquettes and dump half a chimney full of lit briqs on top. WAAAAAAAAYYY easier than breaking the wood up into "fist-size chunks." I've only been smoking with cherry wood, so this method might not work for oak, etc. Might give too strong of a smokey flavor.
That would be worth a picture! Unfortunately this method would not go well with my WSM, as there is not that much space between the charcoal grate and the water pan. The other problem is, that the last apple wood chunks I got were really large, so there was no way around cutting them.

The band saw is the king of the perfect chunk.
If you already have one, that surely makes sense, but buying such just for cutting those smoking wood chunks would be total overkill. I don't even have a clue, what a band saw costs around here, but my guess is way out of range.

A different direction, but what about using a larger smoker, one able to work better with larger chunks?... Then again, buying a cool tool is always fun, even though it doesn't make much sense here. What is it that you're using that requires tiny little chunks?
Those tiny fist-sized pieces of wood are for my WSM, as seen in my cooking-reports (here (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138323) is my latest one).

I already had the epiphany, that a stick-burner would make most likely more sense, because this way it's easier and way cheaper to get fire wood chunks than charcoal briquettes or lump. But a stick burner is not easy to find around here (see my posting about that Grilllokomotive (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137231) I found at at local wholesale super market), and since I just got my quite expensive WSM 22.5" as a pre-Father's-Day present, another smoker may not come that easy with the wife.

swinn
07-11-2012, 03:56 PM
I bought a $10 Bow saw and stood on the end of them. Cut the chunks down to a more reasonable size then grabbed my little hatchet and split them some more. It's a little more labor intensive but I was not about to buy a chainsaw or band saw for cutting smoking wood. No when I got my pecan wood I helped a friend clean up his sisters backyard after a storm knocked down their tree, he cut the chunks about 3 inches long with his chainsaw so those are perfect.

This is not your pork!
07-13-2012, 02:31 AM
Took a look, but chainsaws (especially electrical with rechargeable battery) are way too expensive. Doing it by hand with any type of manual saw it too cumbersome, I tried different types of wood saws at my neighbors workroom, but it took ages to get through just one chunk (that apple wood is really hard).

The price for the shown Crosscut and Mitre Saw really is good, so I think I'll buy it when the speciall offer starts next Thursday.

Murray in N.Z.
07-13-2012, 03:44 AM
Hi there

I use a Dewalt 10" mitre/drop saw. Far safer than using a chainsaw!!!!!!
I cut up bits of tree up to about 200MM thick real easy and safely. I just take a few cuts around the log then whack one end on the ground and it just breaks off. With the drop saw your fingers are well away from the blade, the bit of log is held up agaisnt a backstop and aint gonna fly off and most of them have a blade brake when you let go of trigger so they are uber safe to use. I would just make 50MM thick pizza rounds and then split them.
Y'all can just lift one side of the round on something so its off the ground and the otherside is on the ground then hit it with a hammer in the middle and Hey Presto.. instant chunks.

Another bonus of using a drop saw with TCT blade is clean sawdust with no chain oil... great for using to make smoke in BBQ. Dont forget chainsaw has oil on blade.

With Sawzall y'all have to hold wood with one hand and saw with other unless u have a vice.. not very safe!.

Truls79
07-13-2012, 05:00 AM
Think you should avoid using a chainsaw. You need something that will keep the wood still durin the cutting. Remember that most wood-handling equipment are powerfull. You should not use a mitre saw either. They are made for cutting planks, not firewood. They are not made with the proper support for wood with uneven surface.

You should use a special wood cuttin saw, like this one67585

And later use a log splitter to split them. Or a old fashioned axe:)

They are sold here in Norway from 1500 NOK each - about €200

Being hit from a piece of wood flying from insufficient support and a saw thats made for something else is very dangerous. Don't do that.

Good luck!!

Truls79
07-13-2012, 05:18 AM
Don't know i you have them in Austria, but they are really common in Norway and Sweden

I'm driving to Wien on monday, so I can bring one if you need one and care to meet me in Wien:) Will start my summerholiday driving to Prague today, so I only have four hours to get one. They are 220V

jacksedona
07-13-2012, 06:16 AM
how arge are the chunks of wood if you water log in by soaking it in water overnight i wonder if one o two chunks would not be enough for smoking.

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

This is not your pork!
07-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Don't know i you have them in Austria, but they are really common in Norway and Sweden I'm driving to Wien on monday, so I can bring one if you need one and care to meet me in Wien:) Will start my summerholiday driving to Prague today, so I only have four hours to get one. They are 220V
Thanks for the offer. I have seen such a special wood cutting saw before, but it is clearly meant for really large chunks or whole trunks, the same goes for the log splitter. My problem is, that I don't know what size of chunks I am going to get in the future. So far I have got two deliveries from my neighbors, the first one had rather small chunks, which I could cut into small pieces using a very old manual miter saw (although it was a difficult and sweaty operation), the second one had rather large chunks, which I didn't even try to work on myself, but let a worker from a nearby construction company cut down with a chainsaw.

Right now, I don't know what to do, but I still have time to rethink that matter, because the offer on the shown crosscut and miter saw doesn't start before next Thursday. That saw definitely is a bargain considering the prices for similar units at a local home depot. I think it really would be suited for my purpose, and it comes with the stand and mounting clamps as shown in the picture.

This is not your pork!
07-29-2012, 12:32 PM
So I bought the shown Walter Crosscut & Miter Saw, assembled it today and tested it on the only chunk of wood (oak) I had left laying around:

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t510/This_is_not_your_pork/Miscellaneous/walter_crosscut_and_miter_saw.jpg

Went through like butter, no need to fixate the chunk for faster cutting. That device was definitely worth the money, and seems to fit the task well.

nthole
07-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Yup, that'll do ya perfect! Looks like a nice saw.