PDA

View Full Version : ISO seafood grilling

cybercat
07-10-2012, 11:55 AM
I need some help here. Hubby is a big fish fanatic and I am not. I am a shellfish person. What I need is a list of book for grilling fish how toos and recipes. I do not have any experiance grilling seafood and frankly cooking fish is my nemisis. So with that all said.

What equipment would be good to get for the grill to help with cooking seafood?
What your favorite seafood grilling books?

Thanks all this will help me out alot.

Tamara

deguerre
07-10-2012, 12:01 PM
I have no "Book" recommendations other than this place. You can always post questions about a specific type and get plenty of answers. Plus, you can search the website. What Redhot (My better half is a member here :grin:) and I mostly cook is salmon and generally less flakey fish on the grill. Although, we've done plenty of tilapia and catfish too. We have a fish basket for the more flakey types.

Oh, and welcome!!!

MS2SB
07-10-2012, 12:12 PM
As far as equipment is concerned the best tool to put in your arsenal is a nice long metal spatula that will make flipping easy. Cedar planks are nice to cook on. I cut untreated cedar fence planks down to about 14" lengths.

It's also important to remeber to have your grates well preheated and give them a quick swab with oil to help reduce sticking.

bigabyte
07-10-2012, 12:21 PM
I find my frogmat very helpful.

bigabyte
07-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Oops...just noticed you said grilling. Frogmats are not designed for that high of heat. They are great for smoking though.:thumb:

seadad9903
07-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Check www.allrecipes.com. They have recipes for just about everything. I also agree that this forum is probably the better place

yakdung
07-10-2012, 01:31 PM
I just picked up a wide fish spatula for $4.99 at Academy. Makes it easy for fish and is also great for lifting large items off of the smoker. Growing up in the deep south, I am going to point you in the direction of one of my favorite Chef's. This link only points you to one section of his website.
http://www.jfolse.com/fr_seafood.htm

The gumbo pages have been around forever and are a great resource:
http://www.gumbopages.com/food/seafood/index.html
I recommend one of these. There are a lot of fantasy pants models on the market, but in my view this one is just fine for $4.99:
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_459367_-1?N=395477681

Good luck to you,

lola
07-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Spatulas are okay, but I much prefer a fish holder, similar to this one. The take fillets as well as whole fish, turn easy, and I can spritz with lemon/lime juice as they cook, or any fish sauce I want. For the price, a good deal if you do fish very often.

http://www.cuisinartwebstore.com/imagesEdp/p94499b.jpg

cybercat
07-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions. I have a long spatula. But I will look into the wood and the fish holder. I shall check out all the links given.

Murray in N.Z.
07-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Cybercat. Here well below the Mason Dixon line we have plenty of books dealing with cooking fish coz we are an island nation. I suggest you look in fishing type magazines and also consider smoking recipes. I steer away from the big TV chef recipe books coz they try to make it sound like a real to secret science, look for books put out by fishing, boating, sailing or cruising clubs. Most just use plain ordinary ingredients people have in kitchens or on thier boats. Try adding fresh dill to any recipe (if you have it on your boat :))... its yum.
I really prefer to grill fillets with the scales on and scale side down. The scales form a disposable type layer and look really ugly but the meat can just be forked off. I prefer to put the fillets on the off side of the BBQ with a heaping of coals on the other side and put the lid on the whole thing. It kinda smokes them, dont be put off by the white looking ooze..... its just the blood n juices running out as it cooks. Different fish responds differently to herbs and spices so do experiment.
DON'T OVER COOK IT!!!! the difference between opaque meat and overcooked is about 1 minute max. Its easier to pull it a bit early, cover and let it rest to firm up.
Biggest turn off with fish is overcooking to my mind, but then again I am partial to raw fish aswell so there is no such thing as undercooked to me (so long as its fresh)

Another way if you must ruin fish by cooking it is to skin and debone the fillets then chicken fry them. we dredge thru flour, flip them in beaten egg then shovel over the breadcrums.... Shake off the excess n shallow fry em up till just done then eat 'em up with a drizzle of lemon. Yum Yum

eddieh70301
07-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Just about every BBQ cookbook has recipes for grilling seafood. Paul Kirk has a few in his books as well as Adam perry Lang.
Cedar planks are great for grilling fish as well as shrimp.
IMO the most important thing is not to over cook your meat.
Check out the recipe section on this site and search for the particular type of fish you want to cook.
Being in S. Louisiana I grill alot of redfish. It's the only way I eat it. Grilled tuna is really good and I also like grilled shrimp on skewers.
Any questions just ask the great people on this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cybercat
07-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Great idea on mags. I use to pet sit for the owner of one of the major fishing mags when I lived in FL yearss ago. LOL I found one book by a fisherman I know of John Manikowski. I have done my fair share of fishing off boats and docks. But I have more experiance with cooking shellfish as that is what dad always bought. We rarely cook fish mostly what I caught of our dock which was grunt and snapper with the occasional saltwater catfish. Do not want to deal with salt catfish LOL. I remember dad trying to cut the head of one I caught. But that was way back when I was 6 and there abouts in age. My experiance is more in lobster, clams, shrimp and crab. Thanks for the help all. This puts me on the right track for fish grilling for hubby.

realspaazz
07-11-2012, 10:54 AM
The best book I have ever read on cooking fish is From Hook To Table by Vic Dunaway. here is a link to the amazon listing.

Amazon.com: The Anglers Cookbook: From Hook to Table (9780936240336): Vic Dunaway: Books

Vic was a great person who writes in a very understandable way. His book starts with several different techniques for cooking fish (four different ways, I think) and then uses those techniques as a basis for some of the fancier presentations. Sadly. Vic passed away recently. He will be missed.

Bro-be-que
07-11-2012, 11:00 AM
i grill catfish 3 times a month, at least. the most important thing is to preheat the grate and do a quick mop with canola oil to prevent sticking. on this cook, i did an italian herb paste with olive oil, salt and pepper. cooked over med-high heat for about 6 minutes per side. my wife and I's absolute fave way to eat mr. whiskers!!https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/428969_499224363424942_1345847969_n.jpg

dadsr4
07-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Just about every cookbook I own covers how to cook fish. Your grill is just a heat source, use it like a stove. Same spices and methods. I have a Weber kettle and for fish I cover the area where I am going to cook fish with al foil, poke holes in it with a fork, and oil the foil or spray it with Pam. Large pieces I cook indirect with the cover on, works like baking. Thin fillets I cook uncovered sort of like broiling of grilling, depending on the heat. Only important thing is to not overcook.

cybercat
07-11-2012, 11:17 AM
The best book I have ever read on cooking fish is From Hook To Table by Vic Dunaway. here is a link to the amazon listing.

Amazon.com: The Anglers Cookbook: From Hook to Table (9780936240336): Vic Dunaway: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Anglers-Cookbook-Hook-Table/dp/0936240334)

Vic was a great person who writes in a very understandable way. His book starts with several different techniques for cooking fish (four different ways, I think) and then uses those techniques as a basis for some of the fancier presentations. Sadly. Vic passed away recently. He will be missed.

Yep I knew Vic in person. He lived 4 streets away from me. Really nice guy.