PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a 55 Gallon Drum, liner?

SmokeGut
07-09-2012, 03:46 PM
I just picked up used 55 gallon steel drum, that was used to store grape jelly. I am new to this but plan on making an UDS with this drum. It seems to have a orangish/redish inside. Do I have to start a fire and burn this all off, or use some other method, or just leave it? What would happen if I left this inside and just cooked with it still in there? Is this bad to do? How hard is this going to be to remove if it needs to be? Sorry for the 100 questions, just want to make sure I do this right.:confused:

Thanks!

ClintHTX
07-09-2012, 04:14 PM

4uweque
07-09-2012, 04:19 PM
The best thing to do is have it sandblasted, you do have the lined drum and it needs to be removed.

SmokeGut
07-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Ok, so do you guys think a weed burner torch is the best method?

yakdung
07-09-2012, 04:30 PM
It took me about three pallets, weed burner and a orbital sander to remove the epoxy phenolic coating. It would be cheaper in my view, to purchase a brand new drum considering all of the time and energy spent.
Good luck,

SmokeGut
07-09-2012, 04:40 PM
If I bought a brand new drum and then all the parts to build it i could just buy a WSM

yakdung
07-09-2012, 05:12 PM
If I bought a brand new drum and then all the parts to build it i could just buy a WSM

Yes. You are a very smart man. I went down the road you are now traveling and discovered this through time and effort. I also discovered that the UDS is a bear to keep temperatures from swinging. Don't get me wrong, I love my UDS, but I am now a proud owner of a 22.5 WSM. The UDS could benefit from a guru of some sort to monitor temps. I wanted low and slow without having to baby sit the cooker. Now I just have to figure out which guru to buy.

Good luck,

Bludawg
07-09-2012, 05:46 PM
JM2C trade it for an unlined drum.

SmokeGut
07-09-2012, 05:57 PM
JM2C trade it for an unlined drum.

Whats JM2C?

edit - I know what it means now, sorry. My Bad.

Thanks

SmokeGut
07-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Anyone know where I can find an unlined drum on Long Island?

Bludawg
07-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Anyone know where I can find an unlined drum on Long Island?

http://longisland.backpage.com/MiscForSale/25-55-gallon-steel-drums-barrels-open-top-w-lid-lock-ring-food-grade/31393431

SmokeGut
07-09-2012, 06:21 PM
http://longisland.backpage.com/MiscForSale/25-55-gallon-steel-drums-barrels-open-top-w-lid-lock-ring-food-grade/31393431

These seem like they are lined too. Right?

SmokeGut
07-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of the liner I got in my drum. Anyone know if this is especially hard or they are all the same difficulty to remove? thanks.

http://i.imgur.com/67zhZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PlTtU.jpg

OlyQ
07-09-2012, 06:54 PM
My drum I built had the liner in it. I used a weed burner but That didnt work all that well .

I ended up drilling the holes out for the ball valves and bottom rack .

Filled it up with 15 pounds of lump and let it burn for a day.

Worked like a charm. Just had to go back with the wire brush to clean it up.

SmokeGut
07-09-2012, 06:58 PM
My drum I built had the liner in it. I used a weed burner but That didnt work all that well .

I ended up drilling the holes out for the ball valves and bottom rack .

Filled it up with 15 pounds of lump and let it burn for a day.

Worked like a charm. Just had to go back with the wire brush to clean it up.

Is the above pictures I posted above, the liner? or is that just paint that I can get off easy?

El Ropo
07-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Yep, that's the hardest type of liner to remove. Like said above, if you drill the holes for intakes, and toss a bunch of wood in for a nice long burnout, most of it should be gone.

Some people have reported difficulty removing it even after burnout, but I'm not sure they had the intake holes drilled, which is needed to get enough oxygen to really stoke the fire.

I don't know what shipping is, but mcmaster carr sells new unlined drums for around $90.00. There are a few other sources for new drums too.

Don't get the comment about the same price as a WSM. A new 22.5" WSM is gonna set you back $399 + tax. Even if using a new drum, I can't imagine the cost of a UDS going over $225 or so. I got my drum for free, and spent around $80.00 in parts to build it including paint (4 cans of high temp black), and a new el cheapo donor kettle for lid and one cooking grate.

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz189/ElRopo/UDS%20Build/UDS010.jpg

OlyQ
07-09-2012, 07:05 PM
That is the liner

SmokeGut
07-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Im in NY, I cant make a huge fire in my backyard to burn it out. Would a bunch of charcoal be ok to burn it out all day?

El Ropo
07-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Here's a craigslist item in Brooklyn but no pics. You could ask for a pic of the inside of his metal drums. If you just ask these jokers if the drum is lined, they usually just say no without knowing wtf they are talking about. Or ask them "what color is the inside of the drum" If they say red or tan, it's lined.

Oops, forgot to add the link:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/grd/3064861339.html

SmokeGut
07-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks guys. I am going to call a few places in the area for pricing on getting it sandblasted out. I will let you know what they say.

razrbakcrzy
07-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Buy the weedburner heat the outside of the barrel evenly until it glows red and that liner should start to flake off. The drums I buy are all lined with a Yellow liner and it kind of comes of in long black cassette tape like threads. it will be work but you can get it out of there....

There are naysayers that will always talk the UDS down but there are many more advocates. I have built 5 UDS's now and have the formula down to a almost perfect science for flat lidded UDS's.

I can buy and build a UDS with a rolled coal basket and hinges for about $85.00 and 12 hours time total spent working over 3 days...

If you can buy or build any other smoker that fast or cheap that is as reliable as a UDS, post it. I need one..!

SmokeGut
07-10-2012, 05:31 PM
I found a guy in my area who is going to sand blast the inside for $50. I figured its worth it and a hell of a lot easier. I will post pictures tomorrow when its finished.

armor
07-10-2012, 05:35 PM
I found a guy in my area who is going to sand blast the inside for $50. I figured its worth it and a hell of a lot easier. I will post pictures tomorrow when its finished.

Ditto that, it was worth the $!

SmokeGut
07-10-2012, 06:03 PM
One other question. Since hes just sandblasting the inside. What should I do about the outside paint? Will that burn off easy if I just use it, or should I do something else? Or just leave it.

W00dButcher
07-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Have him do that too. It will turn out much nicer than burning it off. When he is done all you have to do is paint it then put it together ...

W00dButcher
07-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Have him do that too. It will turn out much nicer than burning it off. When he is done all you have to do is paint it then put it together ...

also, read the UDS thread. Others have said it reads like war and peace but it will answer all your questions and give you some ideas too!

SmokeGut
07-10-2012, 06:26 PM
He already finished the inside for $50. He called me to pick it up tomorrow. I can have him do the outside but is it worth the money could be another $25 or more for the outside too. Thanks

SmokeGut
07-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Got the inside and outside sandblasted, it looks good $75

razrbakcrzy
07-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Prime and paint it really fast or it will rust.....

Mornin' Wood
07-11-2012, 02:22 PM
^^^^^
It starts rusting as soon as the sandblasting stops. So at the least, be sure to wipe it down, then paint. Pretty quickly.

SmokeGut
07-11-2012, 03:39 PM
It's in my garage, will it rust in my garage? Also just paint the outside right? Wont the inside rust though? I am not sure about this. Thanks

Mornin' Wood
07-11-2012, 04:17 PM
The inside may rust a bit...no biggie. But if you wipe it down with veggie oil (or spray with Pam, etc) the inside won't rust. But don't spray the outside...or your paint won't stick.

SmokeGut
07-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Can I paint the outside in a couple days, or is it going to rust within hours? thanks

razrbakcrzy
07-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Can I paint the outside in a couple days, or is it going to rust within hours? thanks

It could have visible rust within a few hours to a few days depending on the humidity...So prime it really fast...

SmokeGut
07-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Can I just use high temp spray paint without priming tomorrow?

tjguy1980
07-11-2012, 05:13 PM
I am at the same point that you are in your build. I may be a little late on this but, the weed burner will remove that liner as I had the same in mine. Hold the flame in on spot on the out side until the paint inside seems to be less glossy. On mine it seemed just a little duller but the same color. If that makes sense? Then with a 4" wire cup brush on a grinder remove the paint. Worked perfect for me. Sorry long winded but tooke a whole to figure the process out and wanted to keep anyone else from making the same mistakes.

Mornin' Wood
07-11-2012, 05:15 PM

Yes, maybe wipe it vigorously with a rag or a rag with mineral spirits, let dry, then paint.

razrbakcrzy
07-12-2012, 08:32 AM

Yes! a lite coat will work just to keep the rust away...

I did not use high temp paint on any of my drums none have flaked the paint...I'm not saying they wont flake but mine havn't.... I have measured the drum temp with the drum running at 300° grate temp on a 98° day the exterior of the drum, down near the coal basket was 340°...

SmokeGut
07-13-2012, 06:54 AM
I used 2 cans yesterday of high temp black glossy paint on the outside of the drum. Look's pretty good. I will post some pictures later. The paint is good up to 1000 degrees so it should be ok =P

The Smokin Texan
07-13-2012, 08:35 AM
I bought a drum a few weeks back with that same lining. I did two 6 hour burns and wire wheel time and the lining laughed at me (my wife laughed as well and said “I told you this project was a waste of money”):roll:. Now I am using that drum for a trash can and going out and buying a reconditioned drum without the lining. Do yourself a favor and buy one without the lining. Ask the drum vendor for factory rejects or reconditioned they are a lot cheaper than the brand new ones.

SmokeGut
07-13-2012, 12:19 PM
I bought a drum a few weeks back with that same lining. I did two 6 hour burns and wire wheel time and the lining laughed at me (my wife laughed as well and said “I told you this project was a waste of money”):roll:. Now I am using that drum for a trash can and going out and buying a reconditioned drum without the lining. Do yourself a favor and buy one without the lining. Ask the drum vendor for factory rejects or reconditioned they are a lot cheaper than the brand new ones.

I had the inside lining and outside sandblasted for $75. There is absolutely no lining to be found :)