PDA

View Full Version : smoker build charcoal usage rate question...

tawd77
07-06-2012, 09:34 AM
hi, i am building a smoker from a 120gallon propane tank. Its laying horizontally, with a center feed firebox directly underneith it. It has a water pan that directs the heat and smoke to the ends, and then passes out through a 4.25" chimney, centered in the smoker.

I have made a,"stoker" to run the pit, but i think im possibly passing way too much air through the pit, as i think im using alot of charcoal. I lit about 3/4 chimney of coals, and put about half the 20lb bag of charcoal in the charcoal basket. Once the chimney was ready, i added it to the unlit coals in the basket. I added a couple fist sized pieces of wood. It took about 30-40 minutes to get up to 235, which was my set temp. I put my pork butt on, and it held temp perfectly. My problem is, it sawed through almost a complete 20lb bag of charcoal in 6 hours of running(including getting up to temp). Isnt that a little excessive? Or is this what i should expect from a,120gal tank? The tank is 1/4" thick if that makes a difference... Anyone else have a similar sized or designed smoker to compare charcoal usage? Thanks!

Kullas
07-06-2012, 09:42 AM
I would try using more wood and less charcoal. The wood has to burn to get to the charcoal state then burns from the charcoal state. I burn pure wood in my UDS and have had no problems i have gotten over 24 hours and still had wood in the basket

tawd77
07-06-2012, 08:40 PM
I dont have access to much oak or other cheap heating wood. I have to heat with charcoal, and add chunks for flavor. Does this seem excessive for a pit this size?