PDA

View Full Version : Weber Kettle Paella

marubozo
07-05-2012, 11:48 PM
While I've made it before indoors in small batches for just the family, this week was the first time to try a full paella party and entertaining about a dozen people. Thankfully the Weber had my back.

And sorry, I didn't take pics throughout the process and only shot the end result, but a recipe outline follows.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8016/7488236222_c0782c2414_o.jpg

Now, the thing with paella is that there's no ultimate and perfect recipe. There are so many things you can do and so many variations on the dish that it's best if you just go with instincts and use quality ingredients. However, there are probably three rules to follow if you want to make it foolproof:

1. Use the proper rice. Bomba if you can find it.
2. A flavorful broth.
3. The proper broth to rice ratio.

If you can manage those, it doesn't matter what you put into the paella, it will turn out pretty darn well. To go one step further, take the extra time to get some authentic Spanish ingredients like Spanish paprika, saffron, olive oil, and piquillo peppers.

Otherwise, the recipe is fairly simple.

First, add some olive oil to a paella pan that's been getting good and hot over your favorite grill. Charcoal, or hardwood fires are best since this is more traditional and some of the smoky flavor imparts itself into the dish.

If you're using chicken or raw chorizo, now is the time to brown it. In my case I used chicken thighs and Spanish chorizo and browned them at the same time for about 10 minutes. Once browned, pull the meat the set aside.

From here you can go ahead and toss in your onions and red peppers. I used about a cup of each. Onions chopped, peppers sliced. Then move them around until softened. Then add about 4-5 cloves of chopped garlic and let that infuse the oil but being careful to not let it burn.

When the garlic is done you'll add about 4 peeled and crushed tomatoes. Canned is fine if that's what you have, but in the summer I just cut tomatoes in half and run them over a coarse box grater. This turns the inside of the tomato into a pulp while leaving the skins out. With the tomatoes added, let it reduce down for about 10 minutes until it thickens and you have more of a tomato paste consistency.

Now the fun part. Add the rice and stir to get it all coated. Next it's time to add the stock. When I use Bomba rice I shoot for a 3 to 1 broth to rice ratio. That tends to be about the perfect absorption while leaving the rice al dente and giving some crust on the bottom of the pan. If you use other rice you'll want to find out what the best ratio is to cook it properly.

Once the broth is added I'll stir it around a bit and add the green beans and calamari. Once it begins to simmer I'll drop in clams and/or mussels around the edge of the pan. At this point there is no more stirring of the rice. Now it sits and cooks for about 20 minutes. If you're adding shrimp or lobster, you'll want to wait until there's very little liquid showing on the surface and then nestle them down into it. At this point you've probably only got a few minutes to go so the shrimp will just sit on top for a few minutes a side to get just cooked through.

When the liquid is pretty much gone and you've sampled a spoonful of rice to make sure it's done, off the grill it goes and then cover it with foil and let it rest for about 10 minutes. Then everything should firm up perfectly. And there you have it, some amazing paella.

I mentioned at the beginning to start with a flavorful broth, and that's really important. A good Spanish rice absorbs a ton of liquid, and that means flavor. So the better the flavor of the broth, the better the dish. So if you've got homemade chicken or seafood stock, by all means this is a time to use it. If not, don't skimp and buy some quality stock at the store. What I usually do is since I like to serve a few lobster tails I'll poach the tails in the chicken stock with a little saffron for a few minutes until the tails are about 80% cooked. This flavors the broth, and then the few minutes at the end on the paella cooks the tails through.

In summary, there's no single holy grail recipe out there for paella. Search for recipes 100 times, and you'll get 100 different variations. But if you start with quality ingredients, follow the basic process, and get the right amount of liquid to your rice, you can add pretty much anything you want to the dish and it will likely turn out amazing.

It may not be traditional barbecue, but it's incredibly delicious and your guests will think you're amazing. :mrgreen:

Smoothsmoke
07-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Dang, Paella pr0n coming from all angles! Looking good farker!

Lindsey
07-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Been doing paella on my Weber kettle for years. Best way in my experience. It really captures the flavor of a traditional Spanish version done over a wood fire. Yours looks great.

R2Egg2Q
07-06-2012, 12:43 AM
Very nice paella! Wish I didn't have a seafood allergy. :sad:

tortaboy
07-06-2012, 01:52 AM
That's going to be my next step in the Journey.

NorthwestBBQ
07-06-2012, 04:32 AM
That's amazing!

Phubar
07-06-2012, 04:34 AM
Nicely done sir!

jacksedona
07-06-2012, 04:43 AM
excellent had this back in 2005 with some friends here from spain at their bbq was delicious the way your picture looks

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

m2244
07-06-2012, 06:33 AM
That looks amazing. Thanks for sharing.

J_Don
07-06-2012, 07:05 AM
That looks like you could eat it right off the screen. Thanks for the post, pron and recipe. I've never tried this before but seeing yours definitely makes me want to at least try it once. :thumb:

chicagokp
07-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Nicely done!!

marubozo
07-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks, guys. Can't wait to do it again and it's a good excuse to have a bunch of people over. Well, I guess that goes for pretty much any type of BBQ. :mrgreen:

zwylde1
07-06-2012, 09:02 AM
WOW sums that one up! :clap2:

chingador
07-06-2012, 09:05 AM
love it!!!

fingerlickin'
07-06-2012, 01:21 PM
That looks fantastic, it's too bad my taste buds also have a seafood allergy, still looks great though. :grin:

Bluesman
07-06-2012, 02:24 PM
That looks great. I have never seen Paella. I only heard of it on Seinfeld and thought is was made up. This is down on my list to make, Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

m2244
07-06-2012, 02:57 PM
I bet I've looked at this post 7 or 8 times today. I've got to try this.

Big George's BBQ
07-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Very nice There are a lot of Paella posts toay Making me really hungry What size pan is that

jaronimo
07-06-2012, 04:58 PM
I am definitely gonna try that. Looks fantastic!

marubozo
07-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Very nice There are a lot of Paella posts toay Making me really hungry What size pan is that

That's an 18" carbon steel pan (under $40 online), which for obvious reasons is perfect for a 22" grill. According to a lot of sites they say this size pan is good for about 8 people, but if you're serving other side dishes or appetizers alongside it's about perfect for 10-12.

basuraman
07-06-2012, 06:30 PM
I am learning so much..

martyleach
07-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Very nicely done! Great looking Paella.

tortaboy
07-06-2012, 08:28 PM
I looked for Bomba rice ALL over town today....Nothing.
I even went to a Mexican Market (Do they have Spanish Foods)?

Just ordered this online...Matiz Valenciano Paella Rice

I picked up Saffron and Smoked Paprika at Trader Joes.

Hope I like my Paella...ordered 6.5 pounds of rice!

NBBD
07-06-2012, 08:31 PM
"What am I supposed to do with all this Paella?"

Obviously I need to try to make some of my own since all these tantalizing posts!

Will work for bbq
07-17-2012, 12:06 AM
Awesome job on that Paella. :hungry:

bam
07-17-2012, 06:26 AM
Good job great explanation. :clap:

Al Czervik
07-17-2012, 06:49 AM
Fantastic post! Love the step by step instructions and the end result looks heavenly! :mrgreen:

MisterChrister
07-17-2012, 06:56 AM
That looks great. I have never seen Paella. I only heard of it on Seinfeld and thought is was made up. This is down on my list to make, Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 lol

charrederhead
07-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Wow! Gorgeous.

A whole new world just opened up.

Thanks!

TheBear
07-17-2012, 09:03 AM
nicely done!