PDA

View Full Version : Grilling Avocado? And other things.

Mo-Dave
07-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Picked up some Avocados yesterday and since someone here mention they are a good choice for grilling thought I would give them a try tonight. Would you just cut them in halve or slice them into wedges, remove skin, leave it on, salt and pepper lay on the the grill or is there a better way?

Tonights dinner line up is more than I usually do, it consist of fajitas, they have been marinating for a couple hours now.

I tried the micro trick with the corn in the husk and it worked dang good, still had a couple hairs of silk but far less than if me or especially my kids would have done it, I will also be grilling these.

Spanish rice is cooking as we speak and my cantaloupe is ready for the grill. I have some peaches and banana but not sure I will get to them. I did not get conic but have some spiced rum and triple sac I may toss on the bananas and cantaloupe.

Main question here is about the Avocados. Thanks in advance.
Dave

touchdowntodd
07-05-2012, 03:34 PM
i grill avacado with an egg in the center until the consistency of over easy .. yummy

doesnt go too well with your dinner (althogh ive had runny eggs on fajitas before), but though i would throw it out there

deepsouth
07-05-2012, 03:36 PM
i halve them, skin on, olive oil and either salt and pepper and cavanders greek seasoning or olive oil and dizzy pig shakin the tree.

Mo-Dave
07-05-2012, 03:40 PM
i grill avocado with an egg in the center until the consistency of over easy .. yummy

doesn't go too well with your dinner (although ive had runny eggs on fajitas before), but though i would throw it out there

If nothing else it sounds interesting, may try that for a side with Mexican omelet sometime.
Dave

Mo-Dave
07-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Update on my cook last night. The fajitas were great, the corn was great. Can't say I really found grill avocados as something I will do again, something about the change in texture I did not warm up to, I will stick to chilled fresh avocados, for now. The cantaloupe was ok and if I find the right topping may do but I think I would just go with pineapple next time. Never got to bananas or peaches so that is still on my to do list.
Dave

deepsouth
07-06-2012, 03:21 PM
how long did you cook them dave?

kotaman77571
07-06-2012, 03:31 PM
When you do the peaches, soak the cut halves in molasses and then grill them. They will be amazing. I did some grilled avocados a month or so ago and stuffed them with the same stuffing I put into my jalapenos and they were really good. Cream cheese, shrimp cut very small, fine chopped cilantro and Cajun seasoning.

Mo-Dave
07-06-2012, 04:20 PM
how long did you cook them dave?

Not really sure, just long enough to get some grill marks 7 or 8 minutes I am guessing.
Dave

GrillsGoneWild
07-06-2012, 04:27 PM
For good grilled 'cados you want to go long enough to warm up the center. Use a toothpick or fork and when it goes in smoothly they are done. It makes it a more creamy texture which some may not like. There's a local resturant that turned me onto grilled avacados. They place queso (melted cheese) on the plate, top that with the grilled 'cados, top those with your selected meat (beef or chicken fajitas is the usual, but you can go with pork or barbacoa) and then top it off with cilantro and maybe some more queso if you want. I don't like eating the avacado by itself but cut up with all the rest, it is great. I'll even throw some into a flour tortilla for a taco. They serve it with a side of beans and rice.
By the way, you don't even need to do it on the grill. You can use a skillet.

deepsouth
07-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Not really sure, just long enough to get some grill marks 7 or 8 minutes I am guessing.
Dave

not sure if it will make a difference for you, but after i get some grilledness (not a word i know) on the flat side, i flip them over until they start to rise out the skin.

Mo-Dave
07-06-2012, 04:38 PM
not sure if it will make a difference for you, but after i get some grilledness (not a word i know) on the flat side, i flip them over until they start to rise out the skin.

I did flip them but I did not notice if they were starting to rise. I may have to do a do over soon. I just put grilledness into my spell check and it burped.
Dave

martyleach
07-06-2012, 08:06 PM
We love avocados around here. I can't imagine them being any better than right out of the skin with a little salt. That said, smoked avocado turned into guacamole sounds kinda interesting. Think I will try that next week.

SmokeInDaEye
07-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Here's a great grilled guacamole recipe from GrillGrrrl.

http://www.grilling.com/fire-roasted-key-lime-guacamole/