PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I'm doomed to weeks of vegetablearianism

cameraman
07-04-2012, 12:51 PM
In honor of the fourth I consumed my last 3-bone-suckpack of ribs for lunch today. The last pack of pp went into a chile verde last week. The quobards are bare. :twitch:

So, you're probably saying, hike up your manny panties and fire up the smoker. If I only could. Unfortunately TN is under a fire ban for the foreseeable future. I'm wondering if I can q at the doors edge of my garage and be legal. What's a brother to do.

tish
07-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Oh no! Wow, Dave... that stinks! If it makes you feel any better, I haven't Q'd anything in the last seven weeks, either. We can be miserable together. :sad:

vr6Cop
07-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Be a scofflaw? :thumb:

I'm gonna improvise and figure out something creative to do...

El Ropo
07-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Crockpot chuck roast is pretty decent.:tongue:

Just drain the fat, and it's all good lol.

Ron_L
07-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I know it's radical thinking, but it is possible to cook meat indoors :shock:

Yellowhair42
07-04-2012, 01:07 PM
I've got a plywood cube.It's two feet by two feet by two feet made out of 3/4 inch plywood.It has a cheapo double hot plate from the mart.I just put small pieces of wood directly on the red hot coil.It goes to 275 and I've ben using it for 18 years with no problems.Stuff that needs high heat I just finish in the oven after smoking in the box.

Kullas
Before my smoker i have cooked some good ribs in the oven

gtr
Fried chicken time!

Myrdhyn
07-04-2012, 01:15 PM
I know it's radical thinking, but it is possible to cook meat indoors :shock:

Heresy!

edit: On a more serious note, I'd check exactly what's banned. Many times when they do a burn ban you can still BBQ/Grill as long as you have fire suppression nearby (water hose on the porch should count just fine).

cameraman
07-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Heresy!

edit: On a more serious note, I'd check exactly what's banned. Many times when they do a burn ban you can still BBQ/Grill as long as you have fire suppression nearby (water hose on the porch should count just fine).

Who would I check with? Brothers take note -- here's a guy who knows how to be part of the solution! :-P Thanks Myrdhyn.

Kullas
07-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Call the local forestry commission if you can get anyone there being the 4th or call the non emergency 911 number and ask the dispatcher if you can grill being there is a burn ban. they will tell you to grill i would almost bet

caseydog
07-04-2012, 01:54 PM
This is an opportunity for you to make some carnitas. You braise your pork butt to make carnitas, and that are very tasty.

CD

Myrdhyn
07-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Call local forestry, fire dept, or even just check the local news websites.

Myrdhyn
07-04-2012, 02:00 PM
http://www.burnsafetn.org/

Looks like in TN if you're in one of the burn ban areas, you can still fire up your gasser (if you have one), but charcoal/wood is off limits. That means plenty of good grillin for sure, but you can do LnS on a gasser, i've done ribs and a chucky both on mine before, it won't be perfect/as good, but it'll help you get by :D

Pappy Q
07-04-2012, 02:00 PM
There's no shame in being arrested for Q-ing.

cameraman
07-04-2012, 02:03 PM
http://www.burnsafetn.org/

Looks like in TN if you're in one of the burn ban areas, you can still fire up your gasser (if you have one), but charcoal/wood is off limits.

Google is our friend. Jut found that too.

"That applies to open-air burning: things such as debris burning, construction burning, campfires, even cooking fires if you're using charcoal or something where embers could spark a fire; those are prohibited as well."

Looks like to paraphrase the soup nazi -- No barbecue for you (me)!

CrispyRibs
07-04-2012, 02:51 PM
If I only could. Unfortunately TN is under a fire ban for the foreseeable future. I'm wondering if I can q at the doors edge of my garage and be legal. What's a brother to do.

Nope, any smoke/flame/ash/embers open to the outside air is covered. Been living with fire bans and no BBQ for years.

See the link in my sig for the under $100, electric alternative. Check other albums on PB for recent success stories.
http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee363/MyPics4Me/Smoker/Building%20%20it/

Myrdhyn
07-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Nope, any smoke/flame/ash/embers open to the outside air is covered. Been living with fire bans and no BBQ for years.

See the link in my sig for the under $100, electric alternative. Check other albums on PB for recent success stories.
http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee363/MyPics4Me/Smoker/Building%20%20it/

It depends on the individual state.

jacksedona
07-04-2012, 03:25 PM
In honor of the fourth I consumed my last 3-bone-suckpack of ribs for lunch today. The last pack of pp went into a chile verde last week. The quobards are bare. :twitch:

So, you're probably saying, hike up your manny panties and fire up the smoker. If I only could. Unfortunately TN is under a fire ban for the foreseeable future. I'm wondering if I can q at the doors edge of my garage and be legal. What's a brother to do.

in arizona when their is a ban they send helicopters to check you out that you comply now they have drones-would not do it instead use an electric bbq grill-i hate them but no choice -if you try anything do it at night after it rains

http://www.thebarbecuemaster.net/electric-barbecue-grill.html

dadsr4
07-04-2012, 03:35 PM

The garage is part of the "indoors" of your house, to me, although I'd put a fan at the bottom of the garage door.

aquablue22
07-04-2012, 03:35 PM
I'm thinking boiled ribs in plenty of liquid smoke and crock pot pulled pork with a whole bottle of really sweet sauce..or a lot of pan fried something for a while.

I feel your pain......

bigabyte
07-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Crock pots cook outdoors without fire.

There ya go.

caseydog
07-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Since burn bans are common to Texas, the State has actually worked out a decent plan. Burn bans are done by county, as ruled by a county judge. Once a burn ban is in place in your county, each city implements the burn ban, and can make adjustments to it.

If you live in an urban/suburban county, as I do, the city can allow certain activities that don't pose a threat.

In my city limits, there are both urban and rural areas. So, when our county is under a burn ban, the city allows charcoal grilling in urban areas, where it is virtually impossible for a wildfire to spread, and in rural areas, where a small fire can quickly become a major wildfire, they don't allow any fires, including charcoal grilling or charcoal/wood smoking.

Keep in mind the kind of weather that people in the Mid-West are experiencing now is normal weather in July and August where I live.

Over time, our weather is likely going to be normal weather for much of the Mid-West, too. So, the burn ban rules will probably evolve to be more like ours.

CD

cameraman
07-04-2012, 03:50 PM
I appreciate everyone's suggestions. One of the reason I started q'ing is the wife's vegetarian tendencies and her distaste for the the film of grease stove top cooking generates. I've never had a slow cooker, might have to give that some thought. I haven't had an oven roasted brisket in ages. Could be time to take on the night train. Maybe this is a glass full situation. Yeah, right.

rksylves
07-05-2012, 10:32 AM
So why can't you use a gasser and just throw an aluminum packet with smoke wood in? Just poke a couple of knife slits in it first. That way it's not openly burning and you're using the gasser for the heat component. That should be legal.

Yeah I know, the purists are cringing but hey, any port in a storm..

Russ

cameraman
07-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Well, I don't have a gasser. Besides, it's been over a hundred degrees during the day for the last week. I'm too old for that shizzle. If this is the future, I may end up being a three season q'er. Next Spring I'll know to fill the freezer.

deguerre
07-05-2012, 10:52 AM
I've got a Cameron stovetop indoor smoker.:becky:

FashionBiff
07-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Electric smoker.....Sorry brother, maybe find a park that is not in a ban zone.

Bluehawg
07-05-2012, 05:25 PM
If your cooker has a firebox on it and the sparks CAN'T get out, I don't see a problem. I know those little direct cook set ups could set off a spark but someone would be hard pressed to prove to me that my smoker firebox could send out a spark. It is fully enclosed... I understand it is all a mute point at any rate and you couldn't likely convince the powers that be of this since it makes sense and would therefore NEVER be considered a viable option for a govt. beauracracy... They are known for keeping their heads up their arses and making asinine decisions.

Oh well... Sorry to hear about your issue there my friend. Hope it rains there for you soon.

GL-BBQ
07-05-2012, 05:50 PM
That stinks...