PDA

View Full Version : Ribs for 50

WadePatton
07-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Last year I cooked 30# butts and 10# of chicken.

This year I'm attempting to limit my time in our exceptional weather by cooking ribs. I've not cooked ribs, but have a good amount of experience with butts, fish, fruit, and veggies.

I expect 4-6 hours of cooking but how many #'s of ribs should i cook for same crowd? I'll be doing chicken as well, there'll be gobs of sides and dessert. 30# was too much, but that's how we likes it.

First glance at the web indicates 50# ribs for 50-ish crowd, but I wanted to check here-where the experts reside.

And is there anything i should watch out for on a first-time Rib cook. I'm doing dry rub-with sauce on side.

Thanks

WP

and also thanks for stressing food safety here. i'm not usually one for any sort of safety rules, but making folks sick is not something i want to be associated with. i'm quite cautious with my holding and serving temps now.

WadePatton
07-01-2012, 02:25 PM
"lookin' for wood to cook with" my arse. :crazy:

i started logging my property last year. i _GOTS_ wood. cherry, pecan, persimmon, walnut, white oak, red oak, hickory, pignut hickory, sassafrass, elm, hackberry, poplar (starter only), etc. tops and stumps and casualties abound.

more wood than Bubba Gump gots shrimps.

Southern Home Boy
07-01-2012, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't go by #. I'd go by number of bones. Figure 2-3 bones per person and about 10-12 bones per slab. Minimum five slabs. If you've got big eaters, add another slab or two.

Just my opinion, though.

Contracted Cookers
07-01-2012, 03:41 PM
with ckicken and sides figure 3 bones per

WadePatton
07-01-2012, 11:00 PM
bones per!

brilliant, that's worth the price of admission any day. Going shopping tomorrow, and fetching wood.

muchas gracias