PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a trick to hollow out peppers?

dapittboss
09-30-2005, 03:08 PM
Stuffed peppers, all kinds, make great appitizers, but cleaning/hollowing them out is a lot of work when you're doing a bunch of them. Does anybody have an easy way of doing this? And, is there a way to use the insides for anything instead of throwing it away?

Bill-Chicago
09-30-2005, 03:15 PM
This one's for Mark.

I believe he used the seeds and everything else and boiled down a slurry as a additive to his salsa.

Wasnt there when he started it, so I go no idea what was in it.

brdbbq
09-30-2005, 03:22 PM
http://www.jalapenocafe.com/twister.html

Arlin_MacRae
09-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Lotta good recipes there too.

Can anyone tell me why the little green jalapeno on the product's card is smiling? I mean, this thing REAMS peppers, right?

brdbbq
09-30-2005, 04:06 PM
Lotta good recipes there too.

Can anyone tell me why the little green jalapeno on the product's card is smiling? I mean, this thing REAMS peppers, right?

Gerbil Mod

dapittboss
09-30-2005, 04:39 PM
I just ordered my pepper reamer. Thanks for the link!

Ron_L
09-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Let me know how it works! I've been using a veggie peeler and it works well, but I looked at that thing two or three times now!

dapittboss
09-30-2005, 05:09 PM
I'll let ya know. It looks like it'll do a good job. We'll see...

Kevin
09-30-2005, 05:31 PM
Don't use your thumbnail to clean out japs split lengthwise. Not that I've ever done that.

The_Kapn
09-30-2005, 05:48 PM
That little corer thingie looks interesting.
Waiting for a test report http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif

I use a 1/4 Teaspoon measuring spoon--metal--cheap--with rough sharp edges.
Works fine for now....

TIM

icemn62
09-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Metal Spoon for me as well. Make sure you WASH your hands after the peppers have been touched. Not a mistake you make more than once.

BBQchef33
09-30-2005, 06:43 PM
i use an apple corer on japs and small peppers. Works great.

Trout_man22
09-30-2005, 09:26 PM
Let me know how it works! I've been using a veggie peeler and it works well, but I looked at that thing two or three times now!

I use one too I can get 12 or 13 dozen per hour if I try. But the OL never let's me hold her hand for a week after :wink:

Bill-Chicago
09-30-2005, 09:32 PM
I actually don't bother.

Large poblanos length wise.

I make "boats"

And Oscar Meyer now sells cook shredded bacon in resealable bags. Gonna top it off with that next time.

Gonna use them on potato skins too.

Bigmista
09-30-2005, 09:59 PM
Stuffed peppers, all kinds, make great appitizers, but cleaning/hollowing them out is a lot of work when you're doing a bunch of them. Does anybody have an easy way of doing this? And, is there a way to use the insides for anything instead of throwing it away?

May I suggest using a knife?

CarbonToe
10-01-2005, 03:36 AM
I use a desert spoon for the 'granade' shaped peppers or an icecream sundae spoon for the elongated ones.

Chillis I split with a knife and then use my nails!!!

Ron_L
10-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Just don't bite your nails! :shock:

River City Smokehouse
10-02-2005, 03:40 AM
It's called a 15 year old daughter.

rbinms33
10-02-2005, 08:03 AM
Metal Spoon for me as well. Make sure you WASH your hands after the peppers have been touched. Not a mistake you make more than once.

First time I cored jalapenos, I just tried washing my hands too....several times. That evening, as I went to take out my contacts, little did I know the pain I was in store for. As soon as my finger made contact with my eye, my eye instinctively snapped shut. Felt like someone had poured acid in my eye. I had to use my other hand to pry open my eye just to take that contact out.

Armed with the knowledge that soap and water wasn't going to cut it, I tried pouring lemon juice on my hands thinking the acid would cut the pepper oil but it didn't. I ended up rinsing my hands off with gas, and then washing my hands again several times before I could take out my other contact.

A lesson learned the hard way and a pair of contacts ruined but now I don't touch jalapenos or habaneros without latex/nitrile gloves on.

Mark
10-04-2005, 09:51 AM
This one's for Mark.

I believe he used the seeds and everything else and boiled down a slurry as a additive to his salsa.

Wasnt there when he started it, so I go no idea what was in it.

I reduce the tomato & tomatillo juice to a thick sauce. I dump the seeds before hand.

Look at the pic of the baby poblano's I perpared for greg's bash (album 3). By cutting the stem-end off just right, you're left with a perfect cup, a poblano "doughnut" and just a stem to throw away with the seed core (that pops right our with a paring knife.

PS to RB: The chemical causing the pain can be diluted by fat or alcohol. Maybe mix a teaspoon of lard with a shot of vodka and use that to clean up with. Then soap & water.

Jeff_in_KC
10-04-2005, 10:23 AM
I have this...

http://fantes.com/corers.htm#chilitwister

It works fantastic! I can knock out two dozen japs to fill my chili grill in no time.

CharlieBeasley
10-04-2005, 12:06 PM
I hear an apple corer works well.

CarbonToe
10-05-2005, 03:08 AM
First time I cored jalapenos, I just tried washing my hands too....several times. That evening, as I went to take out my contacts, little did I know the pain I was in store for. As soon as my finger made contact with my eye, my eye instinctively snapped shut. Felt like someone had poured acid in my eye.

Aren't you glad you didn't go for a pee!!!! :eek:

I have a high tolerance for chilli sting so no probs here, my other half though totally different story!!!

Next time try rubbing your hands with a little cooking oil after chopping the chillis for a few mins then wash with soap and water, you'll remove most of the 'heat'.

dapittboss
10-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Aren't you glad you didn't go for a pee!!!! :eek:

I have a high tolerance for chilli sting so no probs here, my other half though totally different story!!!

Next time try rubbing your hands with a little cooking oil after chopping the chillis for a few mins then wash with soap and water, you'll remove most of the 'heat'.

I did that (peed) one time before I knew I had been in contact with poison oak. Ouch. That's another thread.

BlueIdTxan
11-23-2005, 02:50 AM
For those of us who like to mess with Peppers
try using rubbing alcohol to wash hands after Handling peppers. Cuts the Pepper oils
and no umm warm sensations when takin a pee next or rubbin eyes. Saw it on Good eats 1 time and its worked for me every time.

Neil
11-23-2005, 03:45 AM
First time I cored jalapenos, I just tried washing my hands too....several times. That evening, as I went to take out my contacts, little did I know the pain I was in store for. As soon as my finger made contact with my eye, my eye instinctively snapped shut. Felt like someone had poured acid in my eye. I had to use my other hand to pry open my eye just to take that contact out.

Armed with the knowledge that soap and water wasn't going to cut it, I tried pouring lemon juice on my hands thinking the acid would cut the pepper oil but it didn't. I ended up rinsing my hands off with gas, and then washing my hands again several times before I could take out my other contact.

A lesson learned the hard way and a pair of contacts ruined but now I don't touch jalapenos or habaneros without latex/nitrile gloves on.

I did the exact same thing. Only pain worse than hab oil in the eyes was when I had the kidney stones!

elvis67
11-23-2005, 10:53 PM
I have one of the pepper reamers mentioned, I am not real fond of it maybe it is just me but for me it is odd shaped and hard to manipulate. I would wind up tearing the peppers up real bad. A vegetable peeler has work better for me.