PDA

View Full Version : Will CG Akorn fit my needs?

AJ Peacock
06-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while and did a low/slow on my genesis 3000 (brisket) last week. It turned out OK (moved it to inside oven after 5 hours just for ease).

My Genesis is 13yrs old and is in need of a couple hundred $$ in TLC (rusted out grates, flavor bars, controls getting sticky etc etc). So I'm thinking that the Akorn would be an appropriate way to go.

Here is my thinking.
1) We grill 20 times/year or so.
2) Would like to go low/slow 6-8 times/year.
3) We cook pizza indoors on a stone about 2-3 times/month.
4) Even though I was able to get the Genesis down to a consistent 225F for my brisket, I had no luck getting enough smoke at such a low burner setting, which makes it just like an oven roast, except that it's more work on the grill.
5) I can get Akorn + Grill/grate + cover etc. for around $350. (Lowes 10% off coupon)
6) I llike the heft of the Akorn in comparison to the WSM, as it can get a bit windy on my deck.

If I knew I could definitely do low/slow (225F) on the Akorn (overnight/unsupervised), I'd pull the trigger, but I've read so many differing reports ???

I'd probably get some sort of fan/controller for it later in the year.

Also, What type of lump/charcoal should I get. Up to this point, the only charcoal I've ever burned is the cheapo easy light stuff for picnic hamburger/hotdog cooks.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
AJ

ps: Nice forum you've got here.

schlickenmeyer
06-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Sounds like a good choice, based on my few cooks on mine.
If you have a menard's out that way, they are on sale right now for 250 I think.
I got mine for $222 when they had their 11% rebate sale.

ajmcedar
06-29-2012, 02:21 PM
This would be a good choice to replace your gasser. Best of everything, smoke, grill, pizza, bake...on and on.
There are a couple of threads here as well as an entire forum here Kamado Guru (http://kamadoguru.com/index.php?sid=bca8cceb08978a42b2aee2f504f76175)

Mods if the outside forum link is inappropriate, please let me know and I will delete it.

Oh, and yes, this is the bestest site! :thumb:

ajmcedar
06-29-2012, 02:28 PM
I've only used Royal Oak hardwood lump in mine. start a few in the chimney for low and slow, or for higher temps, put a couple of pounds in and give them a shot from the weed burner for a minute or two.
Never any self starter charcoal!
I sandwiched some hightemp RTV between the lower intake and ash pan to get a better seal to help which lower cooks.
For unattended overnighters, I've got an Auber controller that will hold it rock steady 12+ hours at 250.

Hankdad1
06-29-2012, 02:30 PM
I got mine back in March, haven't touched my Genesis or Performer since. I've been using Royal Oak lump in the Akorn, It's a good product and readily available around here. I light it with Weber starters or cotton balls soaked with 91% isopropyl alcohol.

The common wisdom around here is to avoid self lighting briquettes and lighter fluid.

AJ Peacock
06-29-2012, 05:26 PM
I've only used Royal Oak hardwood lump in mine. start a few in the chimney for low and slow, or for higher temps, put a couple of pounds in and give them a shot from the weed burner for a minute or two.
Never any self starter charcoal!
I sandwiched some hightemp RTV between the lower intake and ash pan to get a better seal to help which lower cooks.
For unattended overnighters, I've got an Auber controller that will hold it rock steady 12+ hours at 250.

I built an Auber controller for my smelter (it uses K type thermocouplers). What do you use to control the air? I built my controller so I could plug in a 110v item to control, or use on/off pass through switching to control other circuits. Maybe I could buy a couple parts and my PID could serve dual purpose.

Thanks,
AJ

smokeyw
06-29-2012, 05:46 PM
I think you can achieve what you want with the CGK. However, 225 is not easy to maintain. I do low and slow cooks all the time between 250 and 275. I have done this with and without the use of an air flow controller. I now use a Pitmaster iQue for long low and slow cooks all the time. It is just so easy to set it and let it go. I have really enjoyed the CGK. It is kind of the best of all worlds to me. I can cook steaks at 600 or pork butts at 250. I have 2 UDSs that are getting lonesome. I love them but they take more charcoal. The CGK is a miser when it comes to charcoal. I still use the drums if I need more capacity.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/smokeyws/cooking/iQueKamado105.jpg

AJ Peacock
06-29-2012, 07:34 PM
I think you can achieve what you want with the CGK. However, 225 is not easy to maintain. I do low and slow cooks all the time between 250 and 275. I have done this with and without the use of an air flow controller. I now use a Pitmaster iQue for long low and slow cooks all the time. It is just so easy to set it and let it go. I have really enjoyed the CGK. It is kind of the best of all worlds to me. I can cook steaks at 600 or pork butts at 250. I have 2 UDSs that are getting lonesome. I love them but they take more charcoal. The CGK is a miser when it comes to charcoal. I still use the drums if I need more capacity.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/smokeyws/cooking/iQueKamado105.jpg

Smokeyw,

Did you have to seal the lower air vent completely? It seems that even closed, it might leak some air?

How hard was it installing the 1" fitting?

Thanks,
AJ

smokeyw
06-29-2012, 08:16 PM
I just sealed the lower vent around the edges where it bolts to the cooker. Any air gap around the vent slide itself has proven to be insignificant. The pipe nipple was very easy to install. I just drilled a hole with a 1" hole saw. A 3/4" close pipe nipple will thread right into it. Just put a 3/4" conduit nut on each side to lock it in place. I added a 3/4" pipe cap on the inside with two 1/4" holes drilled in it and facing upward and away from the ash pan so the iQue doesn't blow ashes up. The CGK is so efficient and air tight that I have to close the ball valve most of the way to prevent temp spikes. The CGK requires very little charcoal or air. The new iQues come with an adjustable intake restrictor so yo will have better control if you go that route.

El Ropo
06-29-2012, 08:41 PM
FYI, 250-275 is still considered low n slow to most folks. I wouldn't sweat it if the thing like to cruise at 250-270. You just get the food done sooner. No difference in end result IMO.

Some people claim differently, but I've never had that experience. My stuff always comes out better in less time than when I was trying to fight temps and keep everything super low all the time.

smokeyw
06-30-2012, 03:21 AM
I agree. There is nothing magic about 225. The lowest I cook is 250-275. I cook brisket now at 300 or so.

FYI, 250-275 is still considered low n slow to most folks. I wouldn't sweat it if the thing like to cruise at 250-270. You just get the food done sooner. No difference in end result IMO.

Some people claim differently, but I've never had that experience. My stuff always comes out better in less time than when I was trying to fight temps and keep everything super low all the time.

AJ Peacock
06-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I picked one up at Menards this morning. It has the newer cast damper, Red Color and the grate without the CharGriller logo in the middle. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the parts and the ease it went together.

It's on the back deck cooking off the crisco from the grates right now. I picked up some expanded metal and the Weber grate as a diffuser holder.

I'm very pleased with the purchase, I may throw something on it tonight (certainly tomorrow).,

Thanks again guys,
AJ

ps: Using Royal Oak Lump, I tried to start a small fire to gain some low/slow experience. Funny thing, I dumped a couple pounds on the middle of the grate, hit it with the propane torch, set the lower damper to 1 and upper to 1.5. An hour later it was sitting at 225F according to the dome thermometer (I know they are horribly inaccurate), but I thought it was kinda funny. I placed an oven thermometer (known accurate), on the grate and it shows about 40F higher than the dome thermometer. While putting it together, I used the copper hi-temp RTV around the lower damper.

AJ Peacock
07-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Well,

The Akorn has a 1/2 rack of BB ribs (salt,pepper, cayenne, paprika) and is sitting at 275F (according to my K-type thermo conductor and Aubern PID).

Using Royal Oak lump and a few thumb sized apple chunks.

Thinking about finishing it with some homemade maple syrup as a glaze.

Thanks again everyone for a great site with tons of great info.

Here is a pic, you can almost make out my PID under the hood of my gas grill.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/AJPeacock_photos/smoker/first_smoke_7_1_2012.jpg

AJ

smokeyw
07-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Congrats, it looks great. I'm sure you will be happy with it. Remember to post some pics of the food you cook on it :becky:

AJ Peacock
07-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Congrats, it looks great. I'm sure you will be happy with it. Remember to post some pics of the food you cook on it :becky:

Here they are.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/AJPeacock_photos/smoker/ribs_on_grill_7_1_2012.jpg

A little overcooked, but all that's left now are bones. I went pretty light on the rub and glaze, next time I'll put a little more and not cook as long.

AJ

Still Smokin
07-01-2012, 06:21 PM
I have the CG Akorn (Lowe's model) as well as the 18 & 22" WSM bullets and a ceramic Kamado, the CG Akorn has been my go to cooker.

bbqchicken
07-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Congrats on the new cooker!

Garman
07-01-2012, 08:41 PM
She looks good in red!!:biggrin1: