PDA

View Full Version : Chili Dog!

Boshizzle
06-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Soon, I will post the MOACD (mother of all chili dog) threads. Until then, this was my lunch and another just like it was my dinner.

I LOVE a good chili dog as long as the chili is beefy, tangy, and just a little spicy.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=326&pictureid=6003

Thanks for looking.

Outnumbered
06-27-2012, 09:21 PM
It's 100 degrees here in Kansas City and the last thing I'd want is chili. But then again, I'd hit that. Damn, now I want a chili dog!

jestridge
06-27-2012, 09:24 PM
One of my favorite food, but don't eat very many anymore.

MarleyMan
06-27-2012, 09:26 PM
I would hit that twice, three times a lady :thumb:

But I must ask..

http://www.deodorizerbag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/cheese.png

:confused::confused::confused:

caliking
06-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Ok... I'm ready for mine:hungry:

JONESY
06-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Love a good chili dog, the white onions make it.

Boshizzle
06-27-2012, 09:33 PM
I would hit that twice, three times a lady :thumb:

But I must ask..

http://www.deodorizerbag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/cheese.png

:confused::confused::confused:

No cheese on the classic dog, bro. But, you can eat it any way you prefer.

Look for the MOACD threads coming soon!

Boshizzle
06-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Love a good chili dog, the white onions make it.

That is soooo true, and, I give these onions the olde Towne Fredericksburg, VA treatment.

caseydog
06-27-2012, 09:38 PM
The old James Coney Island on Post Oak in Houston was a favorite lunch spot for me in the 80s. Two coneys with chile, onions and cheese, with a longneck that was iced down early in the morning. Heavenly.

CD

Boshizzle
06-27-2012, 09:41 PM
The old James Coney Island on Post Oak in Houston was a favorite lunch spot for me in the 80s. Two coneys with chile, onions and cheese, with a longneck that was iced down early in the morning. Heavenly.

CD

Man, that sounds good. I remember as a teenager having 2 or 3 chilidogs and milkshakes before going to the river for some herring and shad fishing. The good ol' days!

I can't eat like that nowadays, but it's fun reminiscing!

RAZORBACK JIM
06-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Boshizzle...I saw you were from Fredericksburg...I was in Springfield for 17yrs. Retired from the Pentagon in 1991 and worked for a local company until I moved here in Tenneessee. Had friends that commuted form Fredericksburg to the Pentagon...said it was insane!!!!!

btcg
06-27-2012, 10:06 PM
One of my favorite food, but don't eat very many anymore.

You better sit down-wind if you eat a few of those.

Boshizzle
06-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Boshizzle...I saw you were from Fredericksburg...I was in Springfield for 17yrs. Retired from the Pentagon in 1991 and worked for a local company until I moved here in Tenneessee. Had friends that commuted form Fredericksburg to the Pentagon...said it was insane!!!!!

Yes, the commute is pretty bad from Fredericksburg to northern, VA and into DC.

swibirun
06-27-2012, 10:07 PM
I make my chili dogs the way I learned them as a kid at Melvin's in North Carolina, with slaw, chili, onions and mustard.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gRcMlzoQK2o/T0Am4yc41FI/AAAAAAAAIYw/NBs0UCXq1WM/s1600/DSC_0257+resized.jpg

The first question out of a lot of people's mouth is "but what about the cheese?" and I always reply, "I didn't say it was a Coney Island dog!"

It looks great, Boshizzle!

Boshizzle
06-27-2012, 10:08 PM
I make my chili dogs the way I learned them as a kid at Melvin's in North Carolina, with slaw, chili, onions and mustard.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gRcMlzoQK2o/T0Am4yc41FI/AAAAAAAAIYw/NBs0UCXq1WM/s1600/DSC_0257+resized.jpg

The first question out of a lot of people's mouth is "but what about the cheese?" and I always reply, "I didn't say it was a Coney Island dog!"

It looks great, Boshizzle!

Nice looking dog!

btcg
06-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Seriously, in Coney Island (NY) they're called "Michigans"

In Michigan, it's Coney Islands.

In Detroit, there are 2 famous places downtown known for the best CI's in the world:

Lafayette and American Coney Island. They owned by 2 different brothers. I like Lafayette, but it's smaller and dirtier.

MarleyMan
06-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Nice looking dog!

Agreed...great photography too! :thumb:

And this evening I learned about the difference between a "Chili Dog" and a "Coney"

The Brethren come through with the knowledge again brothers and sisters :clap2:

Hoss
06-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Chilli/musturd/ernyin dawgs!!!:clap::clap::clap: You nailed it! Put the cheeze on the chilli/cheeze fries for a side,add a vanilla malt! YESSSIRR!

Boshizzle
06-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Seriously, in Coney Island (NY) they're called "Michigans"

In Michigan, it's Coney Islands.

In Detroit, there are 2 famous places downtown known for the best CI's in the world:

Lafayette and American Coney Island. They owned by 2 different brothers. I like Lafayette, but it's smaller and dirtier.

In my upcoming MOACD threads I will expose the common denominator.

btcg
06-27-2012, 10:28 PM
In my upcoming MOACD threads I will expose the common denominator.

You knew about those 2 places, eh?

Can't wait for your expose'.

retired trucker
06-27-2012, 10:54 PM

CD

Did you ever eat at the original one down town? It had tile walls and tile counters, and stools at the lunch counter. I'm not sure, but I think it was on Travis. Anyway it was in the middle of down town Houston. Great memories of great hot dogs.

BBQ Grail
06-27-2012, 11:06 PM
No cheese on the classic dog, bro. But, you can eat it any way you prefer.

Look for the MOACD threads coming soon!

There is indeed cheese on a classic dog. It's called the Classic Chili Cheese Dog...

Boshizzle
06-27-2012, 11:11 PM
There is indeed cheese on a classic dog. It's called the Classic Chili Cheese Dog...

Not from where I come from, bro.

BBQ Grail
06-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Not from where I come from, bro.

Okay...I guess you'd know you live there. I Googled "Chili Cheese Dog" and Virginia and got many hits for restaurants serving "Chili Cheese Dog." Some were even classics.

But since I learned a long time a go to not necessarily trust what I read on the internet I'm going to go with your interpretation.

(And for the record I'm just playing with you here)

retired trucker
06-27-2012, 11:18 PM
I guess it is like beans or no beans in chilli. Best hot dogs I ever ate were at a place in downtown Norfolk Va. when I was in the Navy at Little Creek. 1963 ish. No chili, just dog, bun, and mustard. Ran by a couple of guys that spoke very little English. You would go in and sit at the counter and hold up two or three fingers to signal how many you wanted. If you wanted to re order, same thing, hold up your fingers.

Boshizzle
06-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Okay...I guess you'd know you live there. I Googled "Chili Cheese Dog" and Virginia and got many hits for restaurants serving "Chili Cheese Dog." Some were even classics.

But since I learned a long time a go to not necessarily trust what I read on the internet I'm going to go with your interpretation.

(And for the record I'm just playing with you here)

It's all good, bro. Everyone and every region has its "classic" version. In Fredericksburg, it was just mustard, onions, and chili. Newcomers like 7-11 and Sheetz brought in the cheese.

fingerlickin'
06-27-2012, 11:37 PM
It's chili mustard and onions here too. I just happen to prefer a slice of american on mine. :) Your dog looks great Bo, i'm looking forward to your upcoming thread. :thumbup:

Corky
06-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Here are some Detroit-style ones I made. Meat sauce has to have butter in it.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/jklapp/Coney-Pic.jpg

Boshizzle
06-27-2012, 11:47 PM
NIce!

BBQ Grail
06-27-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm a chili, cheese, mustard and onion kind of guy...

Boshizzle
06-27-2012, 11:52 PM
I'm a chili, cheese, mustard and onion kind of guy...

No problem with that, bro!

Ponty56
06-28-2012, 05:31 AM
Detroit style chilly sauce has ground beef heart! And no authentic chili dog comes with cheese. Where I come from it has to be on a Koegel Veianna with natural casing never boiled just grilled, along with a steamed bun chili fresh yellow mustard and onion!

RedPig
06-28-2012, 05:31 AM
Damn Boshizzle, the dogs look good. I did some on my BGE a couple of weeks ago and tried something different with them. A friend of mine took me to a hot dog joint in Norfolk, Va. I think the name of the joint was Jimmy's. This guy has been coking hotdogs since the 40s having learned the business from the old time Greeks downtown on the waterfront. Anyway, he called them Norfolk toughies. The casing had a nice bite to it and not mushy like a lot of dogs you get say at Sonic or a similar fast food place. I wanted to replicate that hot dog. So I used Angus all beef from Sabrett and cooked them on the egg as you normally would. I like mine browned up nice, but what I did different was mist lightly with water every so often as I turned them. The water mist, I believe, helped the skin really get tight and it had excellent bite and really took it to another level. I will do it again on the 4th, but wanted to share that little trick with you. Try it and see what you think. Love the pics.

jmellor
06-28-2012, 06:03 AM
That is soooo true, and, I give these onions the olde Towne Fredericksburg, VA treatment.

I went to college in Fredericksburg 20 years ago. What's that place downtown that made those great dogs. Still there?

BigBlock
06-28-2012, 07:49 AM
gotta love a chilie dog

Boshizzle
06-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Damn Boshizzle, the dogs look good. I did some on my BGE a couple of weeks ago and tried something different with them. A friend of mine took me to a hot dog joint in Norfolk, Va. I think the name of the joint was Jimmy's. This guy has been coking hotdogs since the 40s having learned the business from the old time Greeks downtown on the waterfront. Anyway, he called them Norfolk toughies. The casing had a nice bite to it and not mushy like a lot of dogs you get say at Sonic or a similar fast food place. I wanted to replicate that hot dog. So I used Angus all beef from Sabrett and cooked them on the egg as you normally would. I like mine browned up nice, but what I did different was mist lightly with water every so often as I turned them. The water mist, I believe, helped the skin really get tight and it had excellent bite and really took it to another level. I will do it again on the 4th, but wanted to share that little trick with you. Try it and see what you think. Love the pics.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Boshizzle
06-28-2012, 09:24 AM
I went to college in Fredericksburg 20 years ago. What's that place downtown that made those great dogs. Still there?

It's still there. It's called "The Pool Room" and newcomers around here call it "The Recreation Center." But, that's where the similarity ends. It was bought out a few years ago and whoever makes the chili nowadays can't cook and it is a mere shadow of the original. Not worth stopping by there anymore.

KnucklHed BBQ
06-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Couple of dawgs I did for the stadium TD a while back - I like mine with everything I can think of on em!

Nothin wrong with a straight up chili, yellow and onion dog tho! I'd hit yours for sure! :thumb:

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae133/knucklhedbbq/2012-04-29_16-15-47_HDR.jpg

Boshizzle
06-28-2012, 09:51 AM
I'd be all over those!

Moose
06-28-2012, 06:47 PM
So Bo, when will you be posting the monster chili dog thread? Will a recipe be included?

fingerlickin'
06-28-2012, 06:54 PM
So Bo, when will you be posting the monster chili dog thread? Will a recipe be included?

Yes, inquiring minds want to know.

Hey Moose, I think he just likes watching us drool. :-P

Boshizzle
06-28-2012, 08:14 PM

Heck yeah!

bluetang
06-28-2012, 08:18 PM
A home made dog from a TD a while ago. Ya got me hungry Mon!
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-RN8P80Xt0Ko/TmQ2YiwzBfI/AAAAAAAAAyE/9BZ9xiiyW6o/s800/franks14.jpg

Boshizzle
06-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Wow, that looks good!

Big Bears BBQ
06-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Their all looking pretty good ............

RedPig
06-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Chili Dog Throwdown?:decision:
What say ye brethren?

Still Smokin
06-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Chili, mustard and onions only for me.

Can't wait for the recipe. I had perfected a hot dog chili recipe last year but did not write down the recipe, and have not been able to replicate it since.

Moose
06-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Heck yeah!

Ok, so you post a teaser thread, but haven't delivered yet. :blah:

I'm getting hungry over here! :mmph:

Where's the goods?

:becky:

fingerlickin'
06-29-2012, 12:50 AM
A home made dog from a TD a while ago. Ya got me hungry Mon!
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-RN8P80Xt0Ko/TmQ2YiwzBfI/AAAAAAAAAyE/9BZ9xiiyW6o/s800/franks14.jpg

Stop it dude, if I have to look at one more awesome looking chili dog before Bo tells me his chili recipe, I just may loose it. :banghead:

Moose
06-29-2012, 12:51 AM
Chili Dog Throwdown?:decision:
What say ye brethren?

You probably already know this, but whoever wins a particular Throwdown gets to choose the next category. The Meat & Potatoes Throwdown is still in progress, so all you need to do is submit a winning entry, and the next category is your choosing. :thumb: And chili dogs would be a fine category we've never done before, so I'm all for it.

Just sayin'...:rolleyes:

bbqchicken
07-22-2012, 02:30 PM
I love a good chilidoggy. I made some over the camp fire the other day :grin:

Moose
07-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Hey Bo - the natives are starting to get restless in Woodpile:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139444

:caked: