PDA

View Full Version : First attempt went OK now for the big butt

slugmong
06-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Hi everyone,
I have been following this forum for a while and decided it was time I got of my fat but and started smoking some fat butts! With my big 40 rapidly approaching I decided to throw a big BBQ to remember the awesome time I had when I lived in San Antonio Tx.

My first attempt went fairly well, I am back in the UK now and am using an ECB. I used the minion method to smoke a small Boston Butt I used some Rudy's rub that I brought back from SA and used oak and mesquite on lumpwood to smoke it. I left it in there for 12 hours and the results were OK but not perfect, temps ran at about 270-290 constantly (not much I can do about that) and it was 180 internal when I pulled it out (ran out of time, poor planning on my part). I then pulled it and covered it in a home made clone of Rudy's BBQ sauce (close but not quite) and stuck it in the oven for an hour. The results were very nice but not quite there.

So onto the next challenge this Friday I am going to attempt to smoke a 14lb shoulder (even as I type this I shake my head in disbelief!) I have had the butcher score and cut off the skin, he suggested I leave it on to protect the meat but I think I will leave it off for the first couple of hours so the fat can start to work its magic then put it back on for the rest of the cook so I get good crackling! It is rubbed and in the fridge resting . I am now in that terrible twilight zone of ums and ahs, I will start the Q at approx 1400 Fri so that it will be ready by 1200 Sat, BDay BBQ starts at 1500 Sat.

Do you seasoned Q'ers have any tips to help, beside prayers and prozac!!!!

Contracted Cookers
06-27-2012, 07:07 PM
temps and times seem jacked up

slugmong
06-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Yeah I can't understand why it took so long I have modded the ECB so I can keep a better eye on the temps and I think I know why it was so hot as I put a whole weber chimney of coals on there so I could prob keep it lower by adding less hot coals at the start but I don't get how after 10-12 hours a small Butt isn't totally falling apart! well the big butt is ready I guess I will have to try again and see, if it doesn't work out I can always smash it in the oven!!!!

SteelCityBBQ
06-27-2012, 08:44 PM
I don want to seem brash of harsh, but make yourself a UDS and then your temp control will be much better and as A result your meat will be better. If you have the money a WSM is a great investment. It is really just to hard to control the temps on your brinkman. Change the smoker and your results will increase ten fold.

Bludawg
06-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Leave the Skin off the Shoulder! If you want Craklins cut it into pieces and deep fry it it will not get crispy in an ECB it will be like rubber. Keep the shoulder on the pit until the internal temp is about 205 you will be pleased.

Rudys BBQ sauce (original, before it changed)

1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 TB spoons of vinegar (white)
2 TB spoons worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup Lemon juice (2 lemons)
1 ts garlic powder
1 ts course black pepper
1/4 ts comino (cumin)
1/8 ts cayenne pepper

Mix all and brink to a low simmer for a few minutes. Cool and serve

El Ropo
06-27-2012, 10:15 PM
When finishing in the oven, leave it whole. When it's done, probe tender, bone wiggles etc. and has rested in a cooler (wrap butt in foil then old bath towels and place in ice chest for up to 4-5 hours, but minimum 1 hour). That would be the time to pull and sauce if desired.

I'd also suggest getting something a little more dependable if you plan on doing a lot of BBQ. And definitely start earlier. 12 hours isn't uncommon for pork butts, but it's possible you aren't really cooking at the temps you think you are. Thermometer might not be seeing true grate temps. If you are going by that thermo that is mounted down by the fire basket, I guarantee you aren't seeing actual cooking temps.

twinsfan
06-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Slum, good luck with the ECB (El Cheapo Brinkmann)! I've had mine for nearly a year and am moving up today.

Give yourself enough time on the cooks, shoulders can always rest for many hours before pulling! I'd start at least sixteen hours or so before you wanna eat that shoulder to give yourself enough time. Also, if you ever get in that predicament again with needing to use the oven, putt the entire butt in the oven and pull it once you take it out of the oven. Much better product. (The oven will become your friend with the Brinkmann. :laugh: )

Lake Dogs
06-28-2012, 07:12 AM
270-290 a 9 lb butt should be done in... 8 hours, perhaps 9 on the high side. Me thinks your thermometer is off and/or your reading the temperature at a different location than your meat is being cooked. Use an over thermometer placed ON the cooking grate, or better year a Maverick, etc.

Hickory AND Mesquite? WOW, that is some serious smoke flavor there. It's rare that Mesquite is used for long smokes. Usually it's used in grilling. Some use it in smokes, but very VERY sparingly. If it were me, I'd skip the Mesquite and save it for steaks or burgers.

Also, and mainly because you are using an ECB, I suggest taking the meat off the smoker about the 4.5 to 5 hour mark, wrap it in foil, set the meat in the oven at 250 and let 'er rip till done. You should be able to cook that shoulder in about 9 to 10 hours total.

slugmong
06-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks for all the advice, being in the UK it is hard to find decent smokers that don't cost the earth even the ECB is approx $135 here!!! I am on the look out for a barrel to make a UDS. I wish I could have shipped a decent smoker back from the states!

Bludawg - thanks for the recipe that is the one I have been using!

It has been on for 3 and a half hours now and it is looking good I am using weber premium coals as I have read a lot of posts of people using them for long burns so wish me luck!

slugmong
06-29-2012, 11:50 AM
I am slowly adding to my equipment and the next purchase will be some decent thermometers, maybe a remote one!! (or two).

slugmong
06-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Well it is now 0030Hrs and we are ten hours in and after a bit of a wobble at the 6 hour point, first ash dump temps dropped rapidly, all is looking good got a steady 230f and the internals are reading 150f so I think I will leave it as it is for a few more hours and then foil it and stick it in the oven before I pass out! erm I mean retire in a dignified manner!

slugmong
06-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Well it's 0220 and I am bushed so the big boy is now tucked up in its silver blanket and in the oven I am off to bed and will see what the results are in the morning!

slugmong
06-30-2012, 02:17 AM
Woke up this morning at 0700 to house that smelled of lovely smokey pork goodness! Had the oven at about 250f for 5 hours and the internals are about 190f so I have upped the temp to 300f for the last few hours and am going to let it sit then for about 4 hours. As predicted it is persisting it down outside! Typical British summer! I still have three beer can chickens and a side of salmon to cook, looks like it will be the wet weather program!

slugmong
06-30-2012, 07:20 AM
Guys and gals! We have a winner!!!!!!!
Took the meat out after a total of 18 hours and let it rest for about 3 hours and boy was it all worth it! the meat was literally falling apart had a fantastic bark and great smoke ring, I am going to leave one tray virgin (mainly the meat around the bone) and two trays will get the Rudy's clone sauce. I managed to get the chickens done too and am just soaking the planks for the salmon!

Thanks for all the early advice and I will definitely be looking harder for a drum!!!

Cheers.
Si

slugmong
07-01-2012, 05:55 AM
Less blurry pron of the pulled pork! The party was great fed over 30 people most of whom had never had pulled pork or plank smoked Salmon! I may have converted a few more people!! :mrgreen:

schlickenmeyer
07-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Looks great! Only done one myself and going for the big smoke this week too.. Hope I have your luck.