PDA

View Full Version : Chicken

tyotrain
06-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Can I use price chopper brand chicken thighs for comp or does it have to be kosher? Kinda confused on this. Thanks brothers and sisters

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

boogiesnap
06-27-2012, 03:51 PM
you can use whatever you like.

deguerre
06-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Considering pork and ribs are two of the four KCBS meats...

LGHT
06-27-2012, 04:26 PM
If it where me I would use organic. Just better quality meat than common day to day slaughter house birds. Just as long as your not using legs you will at least have a chance.

tyotrain
06-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the help guys

BBQ UP

boogiesnap
06-27-2012, 05:36 PM
If it where me I would use organic. Just better quality meat than common day to day slaughter house birds. Just as long as your not using legs you will at least have a chance.

i wouldn't 100% agree with any of this.

Smokin Mike
06-27-2012, 05:40 PM

agreed, I wouldn't think it takes thighs to win it.

LGHT
06-27-2012, 05:43 PM

Looked up your team rankings on KCBS and it was blank. This would explain why your advice was also blank. :crazy:

boogiesnap
06-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Looked up your team rankings on KCBS and it was blank. This would explain why your advice was also blank. :crazy:

i haven't entered it into the KCBS database.

my statement still stands...

i also didn't give advice there, just disagreed with your blanket statement about both cut and source.

Q-Dat
06-27-2012, 06:27 PM

And the price of tea in China remains unaffected...

Contracted Cookers
06-27-2012, 06:32 PM
and where:crazy: are you ranked

tyotrain
06-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Sorry didn't mean to get something started was just confused on the kcbs rules on chicken.

BBQ UP

Pitmaster T
06-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Okay... I am getting pissed at this Lght guy....

do I look like that much of a asshat? If so... hey man.. I was just joking.... I am sorry.

MilitantSquatter
06-27-2012, 08:44 PM

:nono:

Q-Dat
06-27-2012, 09:43 PM
do I look like that much of a asshat?

Yeah, you do, but we love you for it :D

chromestacks
06-28-2012, 09:29 AM

do I look like that much of a asshat? If so... hey man.. I was just joking.... I am sorry.

you are not the only one unhappy with him. Seems he has nothing decent to offer.

deguerre
06-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Sorry didn't mean to get something started was just confused on the kcbs rules on chicken.

BBQ UP

You didn't start anything. You posted an excellent question in fact. Comps are farkin' expensive and meat ain't cheap. For home use, I find the family pack wings, legs and thighs plenty tasty, and you're looking for flavor after all, not pedigree.

Fatback Joe
06-28-2012, 10:00 AM
I use grocery store chicken and have done just fine with it.

Even got a nice little ribbon at "the Jack" last year with the grocery store chicken.

Compare a few brands and see what works best for you, certainly some stores seem to be better than others. Some people swear by a high dollar bird, but I am not one of them.

As with all things, YMMV, but at the end of the day, there is no rule against it.

Good luck.

Rookie'48
06-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Short answer: chicken, kosher chicken & Cornish Game hens are legal for KCBS comps.

bbqbrad
06-28-2012, 10:29 AM

:mod::clap2::pound:

Capn Kev
06-28-2012, 10:30 AM
I've done just fine with the maxi-pack of chicken thighs from Kroger. If you need an awards background check, just let me know. :wink:

Lake Dogs
06-28-2012, 10:31 AM
It's a similar question (as questions go) to brisket and wyagu or not.

Like said above, cook what works for you. If you're better with the high-dolla-fowl,
cook/use it. If you're better taste and tenderness with a WallyWorld pedigree, cook
it. It's all good.

Rhetorically, when did bbq-brethren/Competition BBQ become only KCBS. Mind you, he was asking about KCBS, but many other sanctioning bodies have/use chicken in their categories and the question applies as much to them as it does to others. Also, when does current rankings matter squat? Frankly, some of the best competition cooks only cook 2 or 3 times each year. I know of one Memphis In May GC that cooks perhaps twice a year; wont see him in rankings, but he's forgotten more than I'll ever know! Perhaps, just perhaps a judge might have a perspective on it for the question posed. We're now discounting all of their opinions too because they're not in the top 20 teams out there running around burning up money when they could be sitting back on their dock watching the dogs chase the geese around the cove and getting a little sun-burn on their butts?...

Really. Donnie, you obviously have no experience here because you're not in the KCBS top 20. STFU and go back to teaching History!!!

:-)

LGHT
06-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Buying the best bird possible will not guarantee you results as it's still up to you to cook it and present it properly.

However why would anyone want to start with the worse quality of anything and rely on their cooking skills alone to get the win. If defies all common sense and logic to buy the worse and expect the best.

On a side not don't believe the stories about guys buying grocery store birds and winning every comp they enter. They are simply trying to swing you away from being a better cook.

Cast Iron Chef
06-28-2012, 03:52 PM
IMHO I have cooked thighs from Kroger and Tyson. I prefer Tyson so I use it in comps but cook Kroger at home for cheap. I did try an organic free range from a butcher here and was not impressed. Meat in Las Vegas is pretty bad anyway.

boogiesnap
06-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Buying the best bird possible will not guarantee you results as it's still up to you to cook it and present it properly.

However why would anyone want to start with the worse quality of anything and rely on their cooking skills alone to get the win. If defies all common sense and logic to buy the worse and expect the best.

On a side not don't believe the stories about guys buying grocery store birds and winning every comp they enter. They are simply trying to swing you away from being a better cook.

i'll agree here, somewhat, but, you had originally wrote buy organic. that's not neccessarily the best possible bird for competition.

honestly, to the OP, start your process with perdue. it's consistent and has a flavor/texture everyone is familiar with. then, after you're satisfied with the product, experiment with boutique meats and see if you think it is a better end product.

LGHT
06-28-2012, 04:57 PM
what makes perdue better? Never tried them, but always looking for a better everything so interested in trying them now. Plus I know they are charging too much for the organic I buy now, but it's so much better in taste then store bought stuff

Alexa RnQ
06-28-2012, 05:11 PM
We've tried a number of suppliers, and cook grocery-store chicken currently. Our last chicken call at the Jack was with chicken that we picked up at Costco on our drive in.

LGHT
06-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Do you really think a rookie can pull off a win with costco chicken though? I mean if you've cooked hundreds of comps you can probably cook with anything and still have a good chance of winning, but for a rookie I think he needs all the help he can get.

Alexa RnQ
06-28-2012, 05:18 PM
That's what we cooked when we were rookies http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif

LGHT
06-28-2012, 06:49 PM
and of course you won every comp then too right :clap:

Fatback Joe
06-28-2012, 06:58 PM
I guess I missed the posts where anyone in this thread said that they win every time out.

Rich Parker
06-28-2012, 08:50 PM

Do you compete or is all of this wonderful advice something you dreamed up?

Crash
06-29-2012, 02:38 AM
Please stop.....please!!!

NorthwestBBQ
06-29-2012, 05:24 AM

Mods forgive me but who the fark are you? :evil:

Sauced!
06-29-2012, 08:10 AM
I don't get why the kosher question came in? Why would it have to be kosher?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
06-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Do you really think a rookie can pull off a win with costco chicken though? I mean if you've cooked hundreds of comps you can probably cook with anything and still have a good chance of winning, but for a rookie I think he needs all the help he can get.

I won chicken my first contest ever with Supermarket chicken. Two weeks ago I scored a 179.4, one appearance score away from a 180 with the same cheap birds.

Podge
06-29-2012, 12:28 PM
I won chicken my first contest ever with Supermarket chicken. Two weeks ago I scored a 179.4, one appearance score away from a 180 with the same cheap birds.

.. and you kick my a$$ everytime with that chicken, when I buy fancy-dancy chicken. But my chicken is (almost) back up to where I want it.

Shiz-Nit
06-29-2012, 12:54 PM

Will you be going back to Owensbero KY again this year? It was nice to meet you last year and I hope we can pull our chicken score up. That was my 1st comp and I competed solely by myself. I was shaking in my shoes the who time... Hee Hee...
But this year it is game on.... Ummmm I hope!