PDA

View Full Version : Sausage stuffed peppers

Qczar
09-29-2005, 06:42 AM
I love sausage stuffed peppers. Jalepeneos and Poblanos. Wrapping them with bacon does`nt hurt either. But my consern is, by stuffing them in the pepper, does the sausage get a good enough smoke flavor?

I`m thinking to try turning them upside down in hopes to let the smoke penitrate better (guess that may not do much)? Maybe just stuff the raw pepper with a crumbled up, pre cooked fatty? Anyone do this?

parrothead
09-29-2005, 07:07 AM
I would smoke the sausage first.

VitaminQ
09-29-2005, 07:11 AM
I think the pre-cooked is the way to go. I often stuff with store-bought smoked sausage, or little smokies, although I ususally end up with more cheese than sausage.

Jalapeno
09-29-2005, 08:08 AM
I usually smoke my meat first, then put it in the peppers and put them back on the grill for a little while longer.

BBQchef33
09-29-2005, 10:05 AM
i buy bulk sausage and form it into a big patty and smoke it, for a little bit, but not with sweet blueI let a little heavier smoke get to it for a little and keep temps around 200 and under. Dont coook all the way thru. Then add some shreaded cheese and stuff it into poblanos.

Variation: add some seasoned rice to the mixture... saffron, spanish, rissotto, etc...

used rice leftover from Payaya(sp?) and it came out awesome.

brdbbq
09-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Variation: add some seasoned rice to the mixture... saffron, spanish, rissotto, etc...

Oh Hell Nevermind

BBQchef33
09-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Oh Hell Nevermind

oh! sorry Brian... I'll make a few seperate ones for you. :wink:

rbinms33
09-29-2005, 12:26 PM
What if you split the peppers, stuffed them with sausage and cooked them that way? Of course the precooking sausage idea sounds like it would work good too.

Bigdog
09-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Oh Hell Nevermind
Brian has so many holes in his yard that he is opening a golf course. :-P

brdbbq
09-30-2005, 11:45 AM
Brian has so many holes in his yard that he is opening a golf course. :-P

Then the BigDog will come pee on my course. :roll:

Bigdog
09-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Then the BigDog will come pee on my course. :roll:'
What's the par?

Back on topic:

Use fatty meat, cheese and onion. Yes, I always wrap mine in bacon.

brdbbq
10-02-2005, 01:27 PM
69.............:shock:

Mark
10-04-2005, 09:35 AM
I love sausage stuffed peppers. Jalepeneos and Poblanos. Wrapping them with bacon does`nt hurt either. But my consern is, by stuffing them in the pepper, does the sausage get a good enough smoke flavor?

I`m thinking to try turning them upside down in hopes to let the smoke penitrate better (guess that may not do much)? Maybe just stuff the raw pepper with a crumbled up, pre cooked fatty? Anyone do this?

There is no need to precook the stuffing or wrap with bacon. Simply stuff with raw sausage, meat loaf mix or whatever floats your boat.

Attached is a pic of the poblano's I prepared for Greg's bash. I made a similar batch last weekend. I've also done this with larger peppers. I may turn the peppers over halfway through. The filling was allways fully cooked and plenty smokey.

BBQ_MAFIA
10-04-2005, 11:56 AM
There is no need to precook the stuffing or wrap with bacon. Simply stuff with raw sausage, meat loaf mix or whatever floats your boat.

Attached is a pic of the poblano's I prepared for Greg's bash. I made a similar batch last weekend. I've also done this with larger peppers. I may turn the peppers over halfway through. The filling was allways fully cooked and plenty smokey.

I agree with Mark that there is not need to precook the stuffing.
However, I always wrap the pepper in bacon just because it taste so good.

Guido

smokeonthewater
10-05-2005, 07:08 AM
I like the idea of smoking the sausage first. On sat I smoked a small brisket with two fatties on the shelf above it, then on sunday roasted a chicken and used the smoked fattie in the stuffing. Talk about good eating!!

BlueIdTxan
11-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Hey Mark, can ya send me the recipe for the stuffed peppers in the picture :) I am sittin here droolin at the thought of em. how long to cook an such.... i will be Jan before i can get the New Dera up an running ( gotta get back to states 1st). but i can get ther prep going for an initial run of it while i am here.
thanks

BBQchef33
11-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Hey Mark, can ya send me the recipe for the stuffed peppers in the picture :) I am sittin here droolin at the thought of em. how long to cook an such.... i will be Jan before i can get the New Dera up an running ( gotta get back to states 1st). but i can get ther prep going for an initial run of it while i am here.
thanks

at the bash we stuffed them with some seasoned sausage meat and jsut cooked them. you can also mix soome cooked rice in with them(if your cooking for Brian) and some mexican 3 cheese. Use your imagination, any stuffing and wrapped in bacon will be good.

Samichlaus
11-21-2005, 11:48 PM
Herz sum Payaya i kooked in my webeer

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/samichlaus/paellacooking.jpg

racer_81
11-22-2005, 06:27 AM
at the bash we stuffed them with some seasoned sausage meat and jsut cooked them. you can also mix soome cooked rice in with them(if your cooking for Brian) and some mexican 3 cheese. Use your imagination, any stuffing and wrapped in bacon will be good.

If you're gonna add rice for Brian you should mix in some Spam for Greg.

Mark
11-22-2005, 02:41 PM
I don't really follow recipes for stuffed poblanos. It depends what i got on hand. But here's what I usually do:

Mix shredded chedder (or whatever cheese you got) with bread crumbs & eggs
OR meat loaf mix
Stuff peppers

If you use cheese, you can cap with a 1" piece of link sausage to keep the cheese from oozing out.

Mozzarela chees mix with italian sausage chunk and mariana dipping sauce is probably my favorite.

BlueIdTxan
11-23-2005, 02:39 AM
hmmm ok sounds great an I am still droolin here LOL how long at what temp do I smoke em at. Remember folks I am the FNG here LOL

Kevin
11-23-2005, 03:44 AM
hmmm ok sounds great an I am still droolin here LOL how long at what temp do I smoke em at. Remember folks I am the FNG here LOL

Blue,
Near the top of this page, click on the drop down menu for "quick links". Click on "Brethren Home page". Click on the "recipes" tab on the left side of that page. That will take you to the mother load of the Brethren recipes. They're not all there, but a nice cache with most of the "keepers". We've recently switched over to new software and we're just getting comfortable with it, but I suspect the recipe section will just keep getting better.

Or just ask in the forum as you did and someone will find it for you.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/cookbook/viewrecipe.php?id=171&category=*BRETHREN%20APPETIZERS,%20SIDES%20and%20D ESSERTS*

brdbbq
11-23-2005, 08:12 AM
Holy **** is that Peas on the Pizza ?

Mark
11-23-2005, 10:01 AM

Sorry bout that. How long = what temp. If your using raw egg and raw pork at 175 deg. F, it's alot longer than just cheese at 275 deg. F

One "trick" to speed things up is to BOIL the sausage links and then cut them into 1" chunks for stuffing and cook in the 250-275 deg.F range for a coupla hours.

For the last couple of months, I've been smoke drying this years pepper crop every weekend at relatively low temps like around 200 deg. F WITHOUT a water pan. And ont the bottom (5th) shelf, I do a couple of dozen stuffed baby poblanos. These stay on for up to 8 hours.

PS: I've got around 8 to 10 coffee cans full of crushed smoke dried peppers.

Bigmista
11-23-2005, 02:45 PM
i buy bulk sausage and form it into a big patty and smoke it, for a little bit, but not with sweet blueI let a little heavier smoke get to it for a little and keep temps around 200 and under. Dont coook all the way thru. Then add some shreaded cheese and stuff it into poblanos.

Payaya = Paella

Phil Decoder Ring Mod

Bigmista
11-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Holy **** is that Peas on the Pizza ?

Not a pizza MAN! That's Paella.

I guess you wouldn't know because it's a rice dish.