PDA

View Full Version : compressed wood bricks

LT72884
06-26-2012, 03:19 PM
I found a source near me that has these compressed wood bricks for 3$ for 33 pounds of compressed wood bricks. they consist of maple, oak and hickory.

Is this a good price? anyone use these before?

thanks

Jaskew82
06-26-2012, 03:21 PM
That sounds like a very good price! Just make sure its good product before buying too much.

LT72884
06-26-2012, 03:24 PM
That sounds like a very good price! Just make sure its good product before buying too much.

true. so far it seems pretty good. i saw someone using them on there giant santa maria style pit at strawberry days last week. They were way hot and smelled way goo. They come from a cabnet maker who uses un processed wood.

can they be used to smoke with or is it strictly for hot fires only?

thanks

chomper's bbq
06-26-2012, 04:36 PM
I just tried some for ribs. Good smoke but they will flame if the lid is off or too much air gets in. I'll recommend them for anyone to try.

Wampus
06-26-2012, 05:13 PM
You're talking about something like Mojo Bricks, right?

We've used Mojo Bricks, but I can't speak to any other brand.

btcg
06-26-2012, 05:22 PM
I found a source near me that has these compressed wood bricks for 3$ for 33 pounds of compressed wood bricks. they consist of maple, oak and hickory.

thanks

Forget those. I have some shaped like hockey pucks I'll sell you cheaper: 2 for $3.00

That's 2 for the price of one, Matt. If you buy a box of 100, I'll knock off $25 and only charge you $275.00.

They'll have "Bradley" printed on them, but ignore that: I'll have my own custom BTCG's Puck Wood label placed over it, so you'll be assured of quality.

How many boxes can I put you down for?

LT72884
06-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Forget those. I have some shaped like hockey pucks I'll sell you cheaper: 2 for $3.00

That's 2 for the price of one, Matt. If you buy a box of 100, I'll knock off $25 and only charge you $275.00.

They'll have "Bradley" printed on them, but ignore that: I'll have my own custom BTCG's Puck Wood label placed over it, so you'll be assured of quality.

How many boxes can I put you down for?

so you can sell me 231 pounds of wood for 21$?

btcg
06-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Matt,

In Detroit, we had this guy named Ollie Fretter who had a chain of appliance stores named "Fretter's Appliance."

Ollie's motto was:

"I'll give you 5 lbs of coffee if I can't beat your best deal."

A friend of mine found a better deal once, and the local fretter's gave her a can of coffee.

But it was more like one pound, instead of 5, and on the can it said: "Ollie's weight=5lbs"

I have the same kinda weight system as Ollie. ;)

superlazy
06-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Matt,

In Detroit, we had this guy named Ollie Fretter who had a chain of appliance stores named "Fretter's Appliance."

Ollie's motto was:

A friend of mine found a better deal once, and the local fretter's gave her a can of coffee.

But it was more like one pound, instead of 5, and on the can it said: "Ollie's weight=5lbs"

I don't care who you are that's funny!

LT72884
06-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Matt,

Ollie's motto was:

BWAHAHAHA. ya thats what i was thinkin from your first post. haha.

lol. sometimes its hard to tell peoples motives from there text. haha.

ssbbqguy
06-26-2012, 07:38 PM
I forgot about Ollie. Sure miss spelling with Darnell. Unless they're MoJo bricks, I'd get more info. Kind of like heating pellets. Steve.

swamprb
06-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Mojobricks-

Accept no substitutes!

LT72884
06-27-2012, 11:27 AM
here is more info that i found out. For a 2000 pound palet of these bricks, its 150$ and 3$ for 18 bricks(33 pounds) They are going to give me a free batch to try out. 100% natural hardwoods mostly red and white oak with some maple and alder. They have ceder bricks but they only sell those to employees. haha. no pine at all.

Here are some pics of the cooker using the bricks at the fair. best tri tip i have ever eatin. Very light smoke flavor because the area is so open. awesome stuff.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk186/LT72884/IMAG2076-1.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk186/LT72884/IMAG2074-1.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk186/LT72884/IMAG2073.jpg

indianagriller
06-27-2012, 12:27 PM
You are going to have problems with those bricks splitting open and burning too hot. That's what is great about Mojobricks they are compressed tight so you get an even burn

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

LT72884
06-27-2012, 01:05 PM
You are going to have problems with those bricks splitting open and burning too hot. That's what is great about Mojobricks they are compressed tight so you get an even burn

the ones in the photo are the seconds they give away. the ones they sell are extremly compact, so they say.

true, the guy told me they burn really really hot so he recommended it for only wood burning stoves and grilling. But i can split them and break them down for smoke or use them in the Gasser wrapped in foil.
or in a chip box. haha.

mojobricks, im gonna look em up. I wouldnt mind trying coconut charcoal. haha

thanks guys.

NRA4Life
06-27-2012, 01:06 PM
I use Mojobricks and they are compressed tight, consistent burn, and consistent flavor. I'd highly recommend them.

grossepellets
06-27-2012, 06:58 PM
ECO is the ORIGINAL MAKER they started the entire business in AMERICA back in 2005 when they imported a rail car full of bricks from Europe. The wood was systematically given away. Then they started making their own bricks - they now sell out of their entire inventory. The difference between my Mojobricks and this ECO brick is the blend or lack there of, of hardwoods. We also sell a compressed wood brick that is made up of Oak Hickory Maple and other hardwoods Cheap. It comes 8 bricks to a pack for $250 a ton here in Chicago and can be as high as $300 a ton depending on freight costs. ECO is a quality product - just not single species. You can make great brisket with the ECO MIXED wood brick. BIG JT used a blended wood just like it for a year - but when we switched to Cherry, Maple and Fred Oak he went from finishing top 50 to finishing to 15 every comp. The blend of the wood makes a huge difference.

grossepellets
06-27-2012, 07:01 PM

thanks
BTW this is a good outfit as well - they make a quality brick and it is mixed hardwoods. You will get better results using a mixed brick then you will using firewood if you practice
:-P

indianagriller
06-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Now were back in top 5 Fred...

jestridge
06-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Is that what you cook compress chicken and burgers with

grossepellets
06-28-2012, 08:48 PM
compressed wood by formula - makes for a mix that can include the aroma found in vanilla, cinnemon, and the smell of something like graham crakers

Homebrewed Q
06-28-2012, 09:08 PM
I've used the Mojobricks and liked them. Haven't gone exclusively with them yet, still testing.

LT72884
06-28-2012, 09:40 PM
BTW this is a good outfit as well - they make a quality brick and it is mixed hardwoods. You will get better results using a mixed brick then you will using firewood if you practice
:-P
good to know. thanks for the advice. i called yesterday and they said they would give me some free product to try so im excited.

swamprb
06-28-2012, 09:58 PM
I just got a Backwoods Gater and I'd heard some BWS users complain of the lack of a pronounced smoke ring with some meats, so I used a combination of Maple and Cherry Mojobricks and was pleased with the size of the smoke ring on the brisket and the color of the butts and how deep it penetrated. I cut up a brick into 6 chunks and used 3 chunks of each for a roughly 6.5 hr cook.

I've used the Mojobricks in all of my cookers for smoke and had excellent results each time.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and there are at least 3 companies I know of locally making compressed bricks primarily from Douglas Fir, every now and then they get on craigslist and advertise them as BBQ fuel.