PDA

View Full Version : On The Grates weekend 9/30 - 10/2

icemn62
09-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Being this is going to be the last weekend before we have to move, I need to start planning my farewell cook. The neighbors had complained about the smoke and I was nice enough to move the smoker to the other side of the house. I have not cooked anything big since my 1st brisket, and I have a taste for some GOOD ribs. I put the wife on alert; to keep an eye out in the stores we need at least 4 slabs of good ribs. If she does not find some soon, I will have to cook another brisket. Nothing like sliced brisket sandwiches for lunch the next week.

Has anybody else gotten an idea of what is being cooked this weekend?

qman
09-28-2005, 04:35 PM
I will be doing bb's Saturday to keep a promise I made to some out of town friends who are visiting. Fatties of course.

Ron_L
09-28-2005, 04:53 PM
My early thoughts are as follows... Spares are on sale, may as well cook some spares on Saturday. Also, if I can find a good pork loin, I'm gonna shove a fatty inside of it and try stuffed pork loin.

I'll probably change my mind three times before then... :-D

dapittboss
09-28-2005, 04:58 PM
I want to do a Butt just so I can make the Hatch chile recipe that's been floating around. And while it's fired up, I'm sure I will find some more stuff in the freezer that I can toss in!

Jalapeno
09-28-2005, 05:18 PM
I'm thinking about a brisket, chicken diablos (stuffed japs), and some smoked sausage links for breakfasts...

I'm already getting hungry...why did you make me think about it this soon.

icemn62
09-28-2005, 05:21 PM
Chicken Diablos?

spicewine
09-28-2005, 05:21 PM
Just put on 2 butts this morning here at work. Will be taking them off in an hour. The beauty of building smokers is that you get to cook during work!!

rbinms33
09-28-2005, 05:24 PM
We've got an airshow on Saturday to go to so it will probably be hamburgers and hotdogs when we get home but on Sunday it will be chicken thighs and wings for the Talladega race. Have had some variation of pork (ribs, butt or loin) over the past few weeks so this weekend will be chicken and I'm thinking a brisket for next weekend to clean out my system.

Ron_L
09-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Just put on 2 butts this morning here at work. Will be taking them off in an hour. The beauty of building smokers is that you get to cook during work!!

And you can write it off as "Quality Assurance Testing"! :lol:

Jalapeno
09-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Chicken Diablos?

I got the recipe from a guy that makes (from what I hear) awesome shrimp diablos, and since the only shrimp I use is what I put on a fish hook, this is a good alternative. Very similar to any stuffed pepper, but with chicken. Very good.

Solidkick
09-28-2005, 07:00 PM

Damn, Skip....he's already practicing for next year..........:mrgreen:

in2que
09-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Gonna fire up the WSM and do some chipotles with jalapenos, habañeros and Hatch take-offs. Bumper crop this year and have to figger out what to do with them! Wife is tired of canning.

parrothead
09-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Jerky that never made it into the smoker at the bash and the country ham will go in for a neighborhood dinner on Saturday night.

dxesmkr
09-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Hurricane relief fundraiser for our local school district.600lbs of boston butts Thurs. night for Fri. lunch.709 plates I think was the final count.

Willy T.

qman
09-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Wow, Willy, that is a hell of a cook, and for a good cause. Congrats.

Jeff_in_KC
09-29-2005, 12:43 AM
Thursday/Friday: 8 lb. pork loin, 36 chicken wings, 15 chicken breasts, 12 chicken thighs, 4 slabs of St. Louis style spare ribs, beans and ABTs.

Friday/Saturday: 3 briskets, 4 pork butts, 6 slabs of babybacks, 24 chicken thighs and 3-4 fatties.

CarbonToe
09-29-2005, 05:05 AM
I'm still undecided. :-?

I’m definitely cooking Beans, a Chicken (teaming it with a Alabama white sauce), and smoking at least 4 heads of garlic (as the missus loves cooking with smoked garlic). But I’m not sure what else I’m going to smoke ……I might try my first brisket or go for a pulled pork shoulder…….choices…..I’ll probably end up going to the butcher and the availability will decide!!

icemn62
09-29-2005, 07:53 AM
I'm still undecided. :-?

……I might try my first brisket or go for a pulled pork shoulder…….choices…..I’ll probably end up going to the butcher and the availability will decide!!

BRISKET BRISKET BRISKET BRISKET

It will be so easy in that WSM, almost a set it and forget cook.

VitaminQ
09-29-2005, 08:16 AM
I just gotta do a pork loin this weekend. All the talk on here lately has got me excited to try it. And Jeff just reminded me that I really want some wings, too. Of course, I haven't done ribs in a while . . .
I gotta get a bigger cooker . . .

ggeilman
09-29-2005, 08:36 AM
Not sure whether I will cook this weekend or next. Still have to get off my butt and make the baffle mod. I have 4 fatties and a couple of packages of pork briskets strips in the freezer. Will try and shop the sales and see what I can pick up.

Neil
09-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Since the ND v Purdue doesn't start till 7:45 Saturday I think I'll do some wings, thighs, fatties, ribs, and an eye of the round roast. Jerky sounds good too!

Kevin
09-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Sliced up 6 pounds of sirloin for jerky last night. Seasoned and in the fridge. Got a turkey boob thawing to try turkey jerky at my son's request. Any advice on the turkey would be appreciated.

Ron_L
09-29-2005, 09:08 AM
Sliced up 6 pounds of sirloin for jerky last night. Seasoned and in the fridge. Got a turkey boob thawing to try turkey jerky at my son's request. Any advice on the turkey would be appreciated.

I've made turkey jerky a few times and it comes out great! I cheated a bit... Our local Meijer's store sells turkey breast already sliced 1/4" think, so I use that. I've used several different cures, including the High Mountain cures for turkey. They all come out great. Turkey seems to take on the flavors more easily than beef. It also seems to cook faster, so check it often so you don't end up with real shoe leather!

Arlin_MacRae
09-29-2005, 09:15 AM
I’m definitely cooking Beans, a Chicken (teaming it with a Alabama white sauce)

CT - I had never even heard of Alabama White Sauce so I looked it up. For those of you who haven't heard of it either, the basic ingredients are:
mayonnaise
cider vinegar
lemon juice
coarse cracked black pepper
salt
hot pepper for heat

Interesting!

Arlin

spicewine
09-29-2005, 09:23 AM
[QUOTE=rbinms33]We've got an airshow on Saturday to go to so it will probably be hamburgers and hotdogs

Check with Bill on this. This is all he ever cooks besides Frito Pie 8)

Qczar
09-29-2005, 09:26 AM
Friends comming in from SLC. 12 lb brisket, 8 lb butt, 4 lbs of ground sausage, Chix, couple of lbs of Japs and Pabs, and 6 racks of Baby Backs.

MoKanMeathead
09-29-2005, 09:34 AM
Friday - 3 butts, a wild turkey, 6 lbs of home made fatties, 3 lbs of JD fatties, 6 lbs of bologna, cheesy potatoes, green beans, and 100 ABTs - just for a few friends.

Saturday - 3 butts, 2 briskets, 6 slabs of ribs, 32 chicken thighs, and 3 lbs of home made fatties - just for 6 judges!!

jt
09-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Dammit! I just now saw this! I woulda stopped by!

CarbonToe
09-29-2005, 10:29 AM
CT - I had never even heard of Alabama White Sauce so I looked it up. For those of you who haven't heard of it either, the basic ingredients are:
mayonnaise
cider vinegar
lemon juice
coarse cracked black pepper
salt
hot pepper for heat

Interesting!

Arlin

I've recipes for various versions of the sauce, the main difference is the volume of Vinegar and the addition of heat (pepper/chilli).

I've decided to go for the Dr BBQ Big-Time version as its wetter and doesn't have the chilli in it. I've dunked some cooked (not BBQ) chicken in it and it's really nice, it makes a great contrast to other hot red sauce/rub based recipes.

qman
09-29-2005, 10:40 AM
I've recipes for various versions of the sauce, the main difference is the volume of Vinegar and the addition of heat (pepper/chilli).

I've decided to go for the Dr BBQ Big-Time version as its wetter and doesn't have the chilli in it. I've dunked some cooked (not BBQ) chicken in it and it's really nice, it makes a great contrast to other hot red sauce/rub based recipes.

CT that is a good choice. Dr. Ray's version is very similar to one I have been using for years, I stole it from somebody, Maybe "Smoke and Spice"? Anyway I like the horseradish and the amount of vinegar in drbbq's recipe. I don't do the white sauce to often, but everybody always likes it when I do.

Jeff_in_KC
09-29-2005, 10:54 AM
Hey Wayne, I may come over to get some of those cheesy potatoes! Man, those things ROCKED! I'd make some if I didn't already feel like I've carried every farkin' thing I own in the farkin' world to work with me today. Hell, my keg of homebrew isn't even in a trash can with ice! It's just sitting out in the trailer, at least parked in the shade til noon.

Qczar
09-29-2005, 12:14 PM
[QUOTE=MoKanMeathead]Friday - 3 butts, a wild turkey, .........QUOTE]

Geez, ............ I always wanted to try wild turkey. Damn things runnin` wild in my back yard too. Just don`t have it in me to pluck the damn things!

How do they taste? I guess where they are from has most to do with it? But are they much gamey? I like the idea that they hve some gamey taste, just hope it`s not overwhelming?

icemn62
09-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Going to store tonight to find a brisket. If I don't find one I want, I will get a beef roast, some fatties, some puppy peters. Funny how the office looks more towards my cooks than the family does. I have more people excited about me doing a brisket here at work than at home. Wife called and told me at least 4 people are asking me to save them some, and I don't even know them. I must be a Brethren

CarbonToe
09-29-2005, 01:25 PM
BRISKET BRISKET BRISKET BRISKET

It will be so easy in that WSM, almost a set it and forget cook.

I hope you're right, I've just come back from my butchers, and I pick up a 8.5 lb Scottish Angus brisket tomorrow! The Plan is to rub it in Dr BBQ BT rub leave in the fridge Sat night, and then throw it on the WSM at about 8am for 10 hours to smoke.

Questions - Is 10 hours sufficient or too long and I was thinking of a Hickory/Cherry mix of wood? (I have Hickory, Alder, Cherry, Apple, Mesq, and Jack Daniels Barrel woods to choose from). Misq is OK for short smokes but I've noticed that it changes flavour (notice spelling!!!! :wink: ) over longer (4hr+) ones, i.e. it seems to go bitter.

So the scores on the doors this weekend - Chicken, Brisket and Garlic bulbs.

Pulled Pork can wait until next week, and then I'm going to do the Dino BBQ version...)

I've attached a piccies of last weekends effort.

rbinms33
09-29-2005, 01:53 PM
CT....ribs look real good but that armadillo egg rocks!! Is it wrapped in bacon?

CarbonToe
09-29-2005, 02:26 PM
CT....ribs look real good but that armadillo egg rocks!! Is it wrapped in bacon?

Yep, Maple cured streaky.

Aeynghus
09-30-2005, 07:59 AM
Two weeks. I'll be back in two weeks. I am having Que withdrawal.

Ron_L
09-30-2005, 08:05 AM
Aeynghus... Back in the states in two weeks? Congrats!

CT... 'dillo egg really looks great! Now I have another weekend project!

I west to the grocery store yesterday. I bought three slabs of spares ($1.99/lb. Couldn't resist), a pork loin and a maple fatty. On Saturday I'll be cooking the spares aling with a fatty and maybe a bacon-wrapped 'dillo egg. On Sunday I am going to cook a fatty stuffed pork loin and maybe another fatty.

icemn62
09-30-2005, 09:30 AM
Picked up an 11lb brisket and 3 fatties. Gonna be some good snackin tonight, a good cook, and good food on Saturday.

scottyd
09-30-2005, 10:07 AM
tonight I have a small BBQ party for 18 racks of Baby Backs. Just have to make and they will pick them up. saturday will be the challange.

I will be doing 125 racks of baby backs on saturday for a Hutterite colony in northern south dakota. I have Rib racks for 80 of them the rest I will have to stack in 3's and keep rotating to keep even. This is the largest rib run I have attempted on my lang 84 deluxe. Hope it all works.

Then sunday we will have a little BBQ for my son who is coming home for a few days before heading to Irac again. It will be a busy weekend

Scott d

rbinms33
09-30-2005, 10:12 AM
Yep, Maple cured streaky.

It's really tough to beat Maple bacon.....good stuff!!

Neil
09-30-2005, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=MoKanMeathead]Friday - 3 butts, a wild turkey, .........QUOTE]

Geez, ............ I always wanted to try wild turkey.

Go with the 101 much quicker than the 80 proof!

Arlin_MacRae
09-30-2005, 11:28 AM
125 racks of babybacks? OMFG man! Just thinking about the cost makes me about want to puke. Good luck!

elvis67
09-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Got a b-day party to cook for a 21 year old, his cousin id throwing it asked me to cook. Got two small flats may be 10lb. total and they want me to boil some shrimp, said they were getting 15 or 20 lb. And last but not least about 15 gallon freezer bags of chunked up flat head from the Neosho River they want fried up. Also having a band and a free keg. I'am going to be down there early getting my stuff going and meat on. Going to be long day and night, but sure it will be alot of fun.

icemn62
10-01-2005, 12:43 AM
Brisket been going for 3 hours. fatties are almost ready. Wife went to a bridal shower, grandson is sleep, kids are gone. I got the place to my self. more than 10 lbs of meat on the grates and I had to eat a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner. So much for prior planning.

icemn62
10-01-2005, 01:17 AM
DAMN, pulled the fatties, the brisket was doing just fine. Went back out side, noticed the top was not all the way seated. Gave it a tap to seat it all the way on. The support for the grate BROKE. The brisket took a bath in the water pan, the grate fell with it. managed to get the brisket out and into a roasting pan in the oven, now at 220 degrees. the fire is raging out of control, for soem reason I now have flames. (hope that is the byproduct of leaving the top off while rushing the brisket to the oven.) The wood chunks, and the coal are giving off serious flames, and smoke can not get a look inside to see the extent of the damage. This could be minor, or it could be the end of my little red smoker. In any case the brisket managed to get 3 hours of good smoke, and will now finish in the oven. Fark I am so pissed, was really planning on enjoying the last cook before I move.

On the other hand, it could be just the excuse to get another smoker.

CarbonToe
10-01-2005, 04:33 AM
Oh my god!, Sorry to hear that. I'd close up all the vents, the fire should calm down after its burnt up all of the air inside. Have you have time to inspect trhe damage? Is she OK?

I've just trimmed off my Brisket (as per virtual webber site instructions) and it weighs 11Ib!!!! It was the smallest 'premium' brisket they could get!! Oh well, in for a penny in for a pound!!!

qman
10-01-2005, 09:08 AM
Damn, Ice, sorry to here about your problem. Hope you saved most of the meat.

qman
10-01-2005, 09:10 AM
Hey, CT

Good luck on your brisket cook. 11 pounds trimmed is a lot of good eating:-D

icemn62
10-01-2005, 09:40 AM
CT good luck on your brisket, know you will have bettr luck than I did. Wife had some slices last night after she got home. Report: Taste better than the last one. Does not have an overpowering smoky flavor. (I injected it with apple-cherry juice) Has a good flavor. Not much bark, but the overall result: SUCCESS.)

Have not walked out and looked at the smoker, when I told my girl about it, she asked if we should throw it away. i told her, it may be just a case of replacing an l-bracket and screw. She told me she only paid $30.00 for it. Since we will be moving to an apartment complex where I won't be able to use it anyway, toss it. I told her if we do, I am gonna have to get another one.

The good news, is that the gas grill will be going to my parents house, which is where the weber kettle is. My brother also has his WSM over there. Figure I can use those tools, just have to cook enough to share with them. She did say when the time was right we will get another one. I hear that as: you can get a BIGGER one. boys and their toys.:smile:

kcquer
10-01-2005, 10:27 AM
No plans for Q this weekend, still recovering from Bash Q OD mod. Did grill burgers and dogs last night. We're having beautiful fall weather and just couldn't resist cooking outside on such a perfect evening.

rbsnwngs
10-01-2005, 07:40 PM
board so i just through on
3 racks bb
6lbs sausage
3lbs braut
grilling up 7lbs wings
I do love being board

Bill-Chicago
10-01-2005, 08:12 PM
board so i just through on
3 racks bb
6lbs sausage
3lbs braut
grilling up 7lbs wings
I do love being board

and we love your spelling.

Long Island Mod

rbsnwngs
10-01-2005, 08:24 PM
bored threw

Is that better
my wife helped me with this

qman
10-01-2005, 09:28 PM
CT good luck on your brisket, know you will have bettr luck than I did. Wife had some slices last night after she got home. Report: Taste better than the last one. Does not have an overpowering smoky flavor. (I injected it with apple-cherry juice) Has a good flavor. Not much bark, but the overall result: SUCCESS.)

Have not walked out and looked at the smoker, when I told my girl about it, she asked if we should throw it away. i told her, it may be just a case of replacing an l-bracket and screw. She told me she only paid $30.00 for it. Since we will be moving to an apartment complex where I won't be able to use it anyway, toss it. I told her if we do, I am gonna have to get another one.

The good news, is that the gas grill will be going to my parents house, which is where the weber kettle is. My brother also has his WSM over there. Figure I can use those tools, just have to cook enough to share with them. She did say when the time was right we will get another one. I hear that as: you can get a BIGGER one. boys and their toys.:smile:

Ice, glad your brisket came out ok.
Sounds like you got a plan to keep yourself in the Q game. Hang in there, we need you q'ing and sharing. Good luck with the move.

spicewine
10-01-2005, 10:02 PM
No plans for Q this weekend, still recovering from Bash Q OD mod. Did grill burgers and dogs last night. We're having beautiful fall weather and just couldn't resist cooking outside on such a perfect evening.

Did you check with Bill on those Hot Dogs and Burgers??

We will Bash together Real Soon!!

Get Ready For The MOFO MIDWEST BASH EXTRAVAGANZA!!

Belly Bro I & II, Spicewine Ironworks, Chicken Pig BBQ & Lazy Acres have combined forces to put on the biggest Bash since WOODSTOCK!! There will be Bands, Babes, Brethern and Brew. Missouri, Kansas , Illinois, Texas.

Stay tuned for more details.

"Disclaimer"

Due to the large number of Bashers attending we have secured extra security personell to guard the perimeter from any and all Turtles and Nomes

parrothead
10-01-2005, 10:42 PM

I am not over loaded. I fired up the Klose this morning to finish all of the jerky that was hanging around and never got smoked up. All mulberry, you guys burnt up my supply of pear. No problem, I have a chainsaw and a pear tree that needs to come down, and it will be cured for next spring.

Right after I fired up the smoker and got the first batch of jerky on, I reheated a half slab of Ronelle's ribs and a half slab of Mista's ribs. MMMMMMMM! Ribs for breakfast. Good stuff. Right around 8 o'**** I think.

Country ham and brisket were served up at the neighborhood feast. Great reports all around.

Samichlaus
10-01-2005, 11:19 PM
What the heck?

Right around 8 o'****

kcquer
10-02-2005, 05:38 AM

Well, plans change!! Grandson's 13th birthday was this week, yesterday when we were discussing game food for today, he spoke up and said, "can we please have ribs for game food?".
Sent him and grandma to the store to get what he wanted, they came home with 3 racks of spares (wish I had some of Mista's rub!!). Will be getting those on later this morning to be ready for 3:15 gametime!!

icemn62
10-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Well, plans change!! Grandson's 13th birthday was this week, yesterday when we were discussing game food for today, he spoke up and said, "can we please have ribs for game food?".

Now that is the sign of a really good kid.

BBQchef33
10-02-2005, 10:43 AM
did me a batch of sausage and biscuts in the am, load of chicken in the afternoon and big old pot of beans last night. By the time the chicken was done, i allready filled up on the sausage and biscuits.. so thats todays lunch,

but the beans became late snack while watchin a few movies.

found it wise to sleep on the couch. No ceiling fan in the bedroom. :twisted:

toot toot!!

Ron_L
10-02-2005, 01:18 PM
What the heck?

Potty-mouth filter mod... Either Greg typo'd and missed th 'l' in clock, or was doing a play on words. Either way, the filter saw c * c k and deleted it!

Ron_L
10-02-2005, 02:05 PM
I forgot to mention... I did three racks of St. Louis trimmed spares yesterday. Rubbed with Blues Hog, sprayed as they cooked with Cranberry juice and then glazed with a homemade sauce (based on the Shack sauce recipe but with raspberry puree added.

I just finished jamming a frozed fatty, rolled out so it was long an about 1 1/4" diameter) into a 4 lb pork loin. Its in the fridge now so that the fatty can thaw a bit. I'm going to stick it into my WSM at about 3pm for dinner at about 7:30. I'm planning on a 3 hour cook and then cooler time after that. Pictures to come later.

BBQchef33
10-02-2005, 03:57 PM
What the heck?

me thinks u typo'd on "O'clock" and left out the "L".

Bill-Chicago
10-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Got a 4# pork loin offset on the kettle going.

Wasgonna do chops, but I wanted to smell hickory for a few hours. 280* and pegged for 30 minutes.

Gonna add some oak chips in a few.

Taters, gravy, biscuits, and red and yellow peppers will round out the meal.

Shoulda threw on a fatty (italian, not Phil) for adding to marinara after soccer practice, but forgot

kcquer
10-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Sent him and grandma to the store to get what he wanted, they came home with 3 racks of spares (wish I had some of Mista's rub!!). Will be getting those on later this morning to be ready for 3:15 gametime!!

Ribs weren't ready until 4:15, turned out pretty good for spares. Halftime is almost over, back to the game!!

Bigdog
10-02-2005, 06:05 PM
KC, I have the recipe. Let me know if you need it.

BBQchef33
10-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Kc, i have the recipe too.

It starts out with:

Send that food to Phil.
:biggrin:

Jeff_in_KC
10-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Hey Dog, I'd like to try Mista's rib rub recipe too!

Solidkick
10-02-2005, 06:29 PM
I'd eat those ribs........

Ron_L
10-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Wow, KC! Nice looking spread (the food...)! With da Bears off this week, I haven't even turned on the TV today! Stuffed pork loin is in the cooler now... Smelled great!

Bill-Chicago
10-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Haven't had a pork loin all summer

280 for 4 hours (2 wrapped) in the kettle

farking awesome.

2 full inches of juice when I open it at 186* (wrapped at 155, after a good spray, put back in kettle, 170* I closed down all the vents, still rose to 186*

1/2" slices of heaven

Extremely soft and moist.

Anyone said something about dry pork loin, this thing at 186 was soaking wet. I recovered almost 1 cup ( measured) of juice from this thing, so if you say dry, your farking up a pork loin.

This cut is my go to product. I got special rub and spice for it. It is the best roast for smoking, on the offset grill

Hope you all had soft meat this weekend!

VitaminQ
10-02-2005, 08:16 PM
I decided today that I just had to try a pork loin, so I went to the store after church and grabbed a 2.5 pounder. I butterflied it, then spread it with feta cheese, kalamata olives, roasted red peppers and spinach. Then a liberal dose of Cavender's greek seasoning. Rolled it up and put it in the ECB for about three and a half hours at 260 or so. Yanked it off and foiled and coolered at 160 degrees and let it sit in the cooler for about an hour. Damn! That was some good chit! Very tender and juicy. My only complaint is that the smoke didn't really add anything to it. But I'm gonna eat it all :biggrin:

Let's try this picture again:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/theshohn@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=3e32&.dnm=1040.jpg&.src=ph

Bill-Chicago
10-02-2005, 09:08 PM
In only 2 hours, I had a half inch smoke ring.

Good chit

Didnt stuff or butterfly though

CarbonToe
10-03-2005, 03:42 AM
Ribs weren't ready until 4:15, turned out pretty good for spares. Halftime is almost over, back to the game!!

Wow those ribs look good.

CarbonToe
10-03-2005, 04:17 AM
Hey, CT

Good luck on your brisket cook. 11 pounds trimmed is a lot of good eating:-D

Guys, I'm a brisket convert!!! :razz: I was a little apprehensive when I got home from the butchers with this slab of meat. Saturday morning at about 9am I unpacked the brisket, trimmed it off and decided to weigh it, 11lbs trimmed!!!! What a way to start….

I covered it with Dr BBQ Smear (sic?) and then sealed it in a ziplok sack and refrigerated it. 11pm the WSM was up to heat (coffee can modified minion), I popped on three dry chunks of Hic and a cup of soaked cherry chips and then it came to throwing on the meat, initially I had fears that it wouldn’t fit but with some tucking in I managed to squeeze it in! I set the alarm on my wireless thermometer at 241 degrees and sat down to watch some TV until the WSM settled.

A restless night’s sleep followed, I found it hard not to get up for a look but I resisted!! :redface: At about 9:30 I topped up the water bowl, threw on some more chunks and checked the fire, plenty of coals left unburnt.

To cut a long story short about 11am I popped on a chicken and three bulbs of garlic, checked the brisket for mop (I didn’t need any) and threw in another chunk of hic and a cup of cherry on the fire.

I took the brisket off at noon, 13 hours of smoking, a record for me! I wrapped her in tin foil and left her on a tray in the kitchen. I managed two hours before I had to start chopping!! I cut the brisket into two pieces down the molten fat layer that separates the two halves (when I looked at the raw brisket I was a little confused as I couldn’t see the ‘join’ but once she was cooked it was obvious).

It’s an amazing piece of meat, part flaked like tuna, part shredded into thick needle like shards and some was really tender and moist so I sliced some and cubed the rest. I shredded, needled (!), sliced and cubed for what felt like an hour. I separated the meat into bowls, tipped the cutting juices into it and served it with slaw, bread and beans (with sauce on the side!). The bark was tasty (but a little ‘hot’ for the missus!! On chewing the flavours were subtle and then bang – heat!! Wow!)

Just after four I popped off the chicken and bulbs (which were surprisingly moist). After 30mins of resting I shredded the chicken and mixed it into a bowl of white BBQ sauce.

Lessons learnt: a) Too much food for three people!!!!! b) Free up room in freezer prior to BBQ for leftovers! c) You can never have too many books, but nothing beats doing it yourself d) 5Kg of coals last 15 hours! e) Tinfoil water pan and don't bother installing lower grate if it isn't going to be used :roll:

Dr BBQ's BT BBQ book has so many recipes for uneaten brisket I’m going to look like one by the end of the month! :biggrin: (And Ray please hurry up with your new book, April is far too long to wait!)

I’ll stop waffling, and sign off. I do have piccies of the brisket which I can post later if anyone’s interested.

Bigdog
10-03-2005, 07:10 AM
Great post CT, and yes, please post pictures. I take my left overs and freeze them in zip lock bags. Then I just microwave them and it is like fresh Q.

CharlieBeasley
10-03-2005, 07:12 AM
Made me hungry and I just finished breakfast. You paint a picture with words and I like anyone who looks at that much food and thinks it might be enought for three. Thanks for the picture!:-D

icemn62
10-03-2005, 07:50 AM
KC, Thems some good lookin ribs. Bill you are making me want to try a Pork Loin more and more. Seems everybody had happy grates this weekend.

Ron_L
10-03-2005, 08:16 AM
Sounds great, CT! Did you take any pictures?

For your next brisket, after you pull the brisket from the WSM, take the point and put it back in the cooker for a couple of hours. Then, chop the point into pieces that are about 1" cubes (let's see... thats 2.54 centimeters over there :-D ) and mix the cubes with some sweet BBQ sauce. Now you have KC style Burnt Ends. Serve them with some white bread. Good stuff!

icemn62
10-03-2005, 09:16 AM
CT nothing is better than a brisket you made yourself. I find it hard to think about doing a smoke and not putting a brisket on. Enough meat to cook for me, the wife, the daughters, the son-in-law, the son, the baby and friends. Told you the WSM will be tohe smoker's dream for a brisket cook. Don forget to post them pics.

Bill-Chicago
10-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Good job CT

My problem is the OL doesnt care for brisket, so each one is all mine 8)

CarbonToe
10-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Guys, here are the photos of the brisket. We'd already sliced the end 6 inches off and stuffed our faces before the photos were taken....needs must!! :biggrin:

Arlin_MacRae
10-03-2005, 01:38 PM
<droooooool>

rbsnwngs
10-03-2005, 01:41 PM
thats a great looking brisket has a great bark
any leftovers you dont want i'll take

icemn62
10-03-2005, 01:49 PM
Maybe it is time we tell CT about the overseas bros have to ship their cooked meats to those of us in the states for taste testing. Brisket Looks real good.

Solidkick
10-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Guys, here are the photos of the brisket. We'd already sliced the end 6 inches off and stuffed our faces before the photos were taken....needs must!! :biggrin:

Damn rookie's cookin' championship looking brisket.........you damn well better give us credit for helping........:biggrin: Brisket looks awesome....

Nice job CT!!

Bigdog
10-03-2005, 03:06 PM
That looks like mighty fine brisket brother CT. :grin:

Ron_L
10-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Here's some pictures of my Sunday cook... Pork Loin stuffed with a fatty.

Since i was cooking for my family, I didn't use the procedure that KCquer outlined to get a perfect circle. I used the procedure that Neil described at the bash. I took a maple fatty and rolled it until it was a little longer than the pork loin and about 1 1/4 inch diameter, then I froze it. Then I took a long knife and made an X shaped cut lengthwise through the center of the loin, I used a steel to open it up, and then shoved the frozen fatty inside. The fatty was a little too long, so I cut some off of both ends. I seasoned the outside with a Rosemary and Herb seasoning that I bought at Hawgeyes (Texas Rib Rangers, I think) and put it in the WSM at a dome temp of 240. Since it had sausage in it, I cooked it to an internal temp of 160 and then foiled, toweled and coolered (FTC) it for an hour. I sliced it and juices ran out of it. We served it with smashed taters and a side salad. MMMM good! Thanks for the idea, Neil and KC!

thillin
10-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Looks mighty fine there Ron.

Bill-Chicago
10-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Is that one of them 4#'er from Meijer?

We buy them by the gross

Ron_L
10-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Yeppers!

CarbonToe
10-04-2005, 02:11 AM
Here's some pictures of my Sunday cook... Pork Loin stuffed with a fatty.

That looks tasty. Pig with more pig........

Jeff_in_KC
10-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Ron, tasty wasn't what came to mind right off but then again I just ain't right! :eek:

Now seeing the finished product, I understood the tasty part! :biggrin:

brdbbq
10-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Actually the loine looks like it's donkend to me.

Ron_L
10-04-2005, 02:54 PM
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to comment on that! :twisted:

brdbbq
10-04-2005, 03:34 PM
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to comment on that! :twisted:

Everyone leaves that kind of thing up to me. I also have the hots for Jodie Foster but don't plan to shoot anyone.

Ron_L
10-04-2005, 03:39 PM
Everyone leaves that kind of thing up to me. I also have the hots for Jodie Foster but don't plan to shoot anyone.

Ain't nothin' wrong with Jodie Foster!

http://www.furrysinspace.com/images/jodie_foster_11_8.jpg

(Mods... I hope that image is OK. If not, feel free to delete it!)

Bill-Chicago
10-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Thats porn.

And she's a bull dyke

Arlin_MacRae
10-04-2005, 03:54 PM
And I bet she wasn't old enough then either!

Jeff_in_KC
10-04-2005, 04:11 PM
Thats porn.

And she's a bull dyke

If that's porn, it's about the softest core porn I've ever seen...

And Jodie is NOT a bull dyke! :mad:

thillin
10-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Chick-a-peeeeeeee!

brdbbq
10-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Back on Topic :twisted:

Good looking loin I got to try that someday just for the obsenity value.