PDA

View Full Version : 18.5 wsm running cool?

Pookie
06-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Going on my third smoke using my wsm. Didn't really pay attention at the temp on the first cook (baby backs) but did notice that it took a while to get to 225 on my second try (spares).

After about an hour, the temp went from 220 down to 215. then gradually climbed during the cook to settle at 225. I'd say it took a good two hours for it to get to 225. Both times had water In the pan filled 3/4 of the way. Also used the minion method- I put a chimney's worth of unlit charcoal and 1/2 a chimney of lit coals on top. All three bottom vents were 100% open as well as the top vent.

Just concered because I thought new smokers tend to run hot the first few times. I have a newer wsm which looks like it has a larger water bowl than previous ones. Maybe this has something to do with it?

Anyone else run into this problem?

cbpeck
06-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Its not really a problem. A lot of folks would love for their new WSM to hold 225. If you want it to get hotter more quickly just open up the air intakes a bit. Be sure to close them down as you approach your target time, though. Experience will teach you how much to close them & when.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
06-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Had your bag of charcoal been previously opened? Damp charcoal will do what you experienced.

Did you use cold water in the pan?

Pookie
06-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Its not really a problem. A lot of folks would love for their new WSM to hold 225. If you want it to get hotter more quickly just open up the air intakes a bit. Be sure to close them down as you approach your target time, though. Experience will teach you how much to close them & when.

I had all intakes 100% open for the first 2-3 hours. Closed them a bit for the final 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Not sure why it took so long to even reach 225.

Pookie
06-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Had your bag of charcoal been previously opened? Damp charcoal will do what you experienced.

Did you use cold water in the pan?

Brand new bag and yes, used cold tap water.

Harbormaster
06-26-2012, 03:53 PM
used cold tap water.
If you are going to use water, use hot water. It takes a lot of energy from your fire to get the water hot. This will delay your cooker in coming up to temp.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
06-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Brand new bag and yes, used cold tap water.

I find that hot tap water cuts the time down for the temp to settle down even in the original smaller water pans. Perhaps cold water in a larger pan is the problem then..

Pookie
06-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I'll be sure to use hot water next time.

Still new to this!