PDA

View Full Version : Cooking on backwoods

Jdman4x20
06-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Do yall bring smoker to temp and then add the meat? Or add it at the beginning. I brought it up to temp and then added the meat and it seems that all the preheat time was wasted.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Big George's BBQ
06-23-2012, 06:11 AM
I have yet to use a Backwoods but I bring my temp to where I want it a let it stabilize otherwise you will get a nasty tasteto food. You want to let the whitw smoke turn to a blue tint

cpw
06-23-2012, 06:27 AM
I always let it come up to at least 200 before I put the meat on. Normally takes 45 minutes or so. I'll get the fire going, put hot water in the pan, and then go and finish up any messing around with the meat while the smoker is warming up.

kadQ
06-23-2012, 07:13 AM
I usually warm it up 25 degrees past my target temp then put the meat in. Seems to help..

Bob S
06-23-2012, 08:39 AM
The preheat time is not wasted and is absolutely necessary to get a good end result. I always plan for about 45 minutes of warmup time before the meat goes on. You will see the thick smoke for around half an hour...you don't want meat in there!

Jdman4x20
06-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the help. I let it heat up and then put the meat in. It just seemed to take a long time to bring it back to temp.

Jdman4x20
06-23-2012, 09:27 AM
This is only the second time I have used it so I am just getting use to it.

Shiz-Nit
06-23-2012, 10:49 AM
I always preheat

Big George's BBQ
06-24-2012, 06:49 AM
Let us know how t works out

btcg
06-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Surprised that Shiz-Nit didn't know this.

There is no "white smoke" with a Backwoods smoker... unless you're an absolute idi.. and allow your charcoal to get wet somehow.

Backwoods smokers are designed for "minion" type cooks.

First, add your wood. I use 8-12 ounces of smoking wood (chunks) and stragically place the chunks so they'll smoke within the first 3 hours, but not all at once.

Then, add your charcoal and pile it up and over the wood if possible, if not, pack it tightly around the wood.

Taking a Weber parafin cube, place it in one corner, and light it. When it quits flaming, the corner charcoal should be started: at this point, slide the charcoal tray in, or place it in, if you don't have the upgraded charcoal tray.

Add water that is already hot into the water tray, and close the smoker up.

In 30 minutes, my Chubby is usually near or above 200 degress, and I'm ready to go.

After you're done cooking, remove and wash the waterpan: don't worry so much about the bottom (lightly wash that with dishsoap), but keep the top and insides clean.

Remove the charcoal tray, dry wipe it off and the holder too after emptying the ashes. Take your shop vac, and vaccuum the insides throughly, and the trays, if needed. Wipe down the outside with a dishsoapy water cloth (dish soap is effective on oil & grease) and allow it to dry throughly: all parts. Then put it together, and put your cover on it: you're go to go for your next cook.

Do this, and your food will be wonderful, and your Backwoods will last for years.

Braddog
06-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the help. I let it heat up and then put the meat in. It just seemed to take a long time to bring it back to temp.

This recovery time isn't so much the result of opening the door, it's the introduction of several pounds of cold meat.

Preheat is the way to go.

Cheers,
Braddog

btcg
06-24-2012, 10:09 AM
This recovery time isn't so much the result of opening the door, it's the introduction of several pounds of cold meat.

Preheat is the way to go.

Cheers,
Braddog

Brad,

Something Myron and Trigg instilled in me: let the meat warm to room temp before placing it in the smoker. You can't always do this, but good planning is one of those things that enable us to eliminate the small issues. Fix a couple small issues, and you've done something major.

Durzil
06-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Pull the meat out and let it come to room temp while the pit is coming up to temp. Easiest way to remember and do it consistently.

I would assume that the backwoods is similar to my drum in that it does produce puffy white smoke after first being lit while coming and up to temp. Once you dial the temp in with the ball valve and it settles it should be thin blue smoke.

You want to try and arrange your wood chunks so that they are preheated before actually burning to minimize puffy white smoke during the cook.

btcg
06-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Pull the meat out and let it come to room temp while the pit is coming up to temp. Easiest way to remember and do it consistently.

I would assume that the backwoods is similar to my drum in that it does produce puffy white smoke after first being lit while coming and up to temp. Once you dial the temp in with the ball valve and it settles it should be thin blue smoke.

You want to try and arrange your wood chunks so that they are preheated before actually burning to minimize puffy white smoke during the cook.

I don't get white smoke in my Chubby. Remember, it's a minion cook, so we're starting the corner, and allowing it to spread slowly. The Backwoods is a well-insulated smoker (Mike @ Backwoods says people have used them in temps outside as low as 40 below zero), so the heat isn't lost like it is in many smokers: no need to pre-heat the chunks, they'll heat as the fire spreads. The initial wax/oil start takes place in the open air, so no nasty smoke gets near the smoker.

If he's getting white amoke, I'd wager he's not doing a minion cook, or his charcoal is too moist.

Durzil
06-24-2012, 11:13 AM
I don't get white smoke in my Chubby. Remember, it's a minion cook, so we're starting the corner, and allowing it to spread slowly. The Backwoods is a well-insulated smoker (Mike @ Backwoods says people have used them in temps outside as low as 40 below zero), so the heat isn't lost like it is in many smokers: no need to pre-heat the chunks, they'll heat as the fire spreads. The initial wax/oil start takes place in the open air, so no nasty smoke gets near the smoker.

If he's getting white amoke, I'd wager he's not doing a minion cook, or his charcoal is too moist.

Yes I use the minion method in my UDS. I get white smoke when I first dump my 12 lit coals in my basket and it's coming up to temp. I don't pay attention to how long it isn't clean as it always is by the time it's at temp.

The chunks heating as the fire spreads is exactly what I was referring to by arrange your wood chunks so that they are preheated before actually burning. If you place them in the center of your ring and dump your lit coals on them, your not going to get clean smoke till they burn up being ineffective.
Try and place the wood chuncks just outside your starting point for the minion method so they preheat before actually burning to keep your smoke clean. Might have been a clearer way of stating it.

btcg
06-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Durzil,

You might benefit by trying the Weber cubes. Your UDS will have much more oxygen than a Backwoods, so your fire will be larger, especially pre-lighting 12 coals.

Maybe though, all the cubes may do is to slow you down, as that drum will always have a lot of oxygen when you begin, and more o2 = more flame. Might be something to try, anyways.

Durzil
06-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Durzil,

You might benefit by trying the Weber cubes. Your UDS will have much more oxygen than a Backwoods, so your fire will be larger, especially pre-lighting 12 coals.

Maybe though, all the cubes may do is to slow you down, as that drum will always have a lot of oxygen when you begin, and more o2 = more flame. Might be something to try, anyways.

Yeah I've tried different amounts of burquettes to start but just keep going back to 12 as that is the number I started with originally. Probably just a comfort thing. I generally make one adjustment and am ready to cook in 30 mins after placing the coals in. About 45 mins total time from placing the chimney on the side burner of my gasser to light it.

I tried a cube early on that my neighbor gave me. I was still really learning how to control my drum at that time and it seemed to take forever. Haven't messed with it since as my process works for me repeatedly. I'll have to give it a try sometime.

I think while the drum first lights and there is an excess of air and it's heating the fuel up it's going to have white smoke regardless. But that's just an assumption on my part. Once it gets going it's thin clean blue from there on out, and very predictable temperature range based on my ball valve setting using the same number of Briqs to start each time (and brand).

btcg
06-24-2012, 01:39 PM
I think while the drum first lights and there is an excess of air and it's heating the fuel up it's going to have white smoke regardless. But that's just an assumption on my part. Once it gets going it's thin clean blue from there on out, and very predictable temperature range based on my ball valve setting using the same number of Briqs to start each time (and brand).

I think you're quite right, and as with any cooker, you've taken the time to learn how to work with it.

After going on 2 years cooking on my Backwoods, I've learned too. One thing I really like is the fact that I use much less charcoal than I did even with my Weber kettle. The insulation and tight fit of the doors makes a big difference. In this economy, every dime you can save is a plus.

Braddog
06-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Brad,

Something Myron and Trigg instilled in me: let the meat warm to room temp before placing it in the smoker. You can't always do this, but good planning is one of those things that enable us to eliminate the small issues. Fix a couple small issues, and you've done something major.

Uh-huh, and several pounds of 70 Degree room temperature meat will still bring the temperature of the cooker down and it will take time to recover.

Cheers,
Braddog