PDA

View Full Version : Trimming money muscle

amecass66
06-22-2012, 06:36 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions on trimming money muscle for competitions? I did my first competition recently. After I cut the muscle away from the butt, I had a difficult time trying to slice it for presentation in the box. It wanted to simply fall apart. Did I get my temp (200 degrees) too high, or was the meat still too hot (185 degrees) when slicing? Any help would be appreciated.

Jason TQ
06-22-2012, 07:16 AM
200 would fall apart most of the time. 195 they fall apart on me sometimes. So give it a lower temp.

Golden Toad BBQ
06-22-2012, 07:35 AM
I usually cook one or two butts for MM only and one or two for pulled/chunks. I cook the MM butts to 185-190 depending upon how they feel...

Toad

Mister Bob
06-22-2012, 08:00 AM
I would say 200 is a bit too high for slicing.
I take mine to exactly 195 in the middle of the muscle, handle it very carefully and use a super sharp knife with very little pressure. Depending on your cooker and the position of the butt, this should have the horn meat and any other pieces around the bone at 195 or higher and tender. Your mileage may vary...

Jaskew82
06-22-2012, 08:06 AM
I take mine to exactly 195 in the middle of the muscle, handle it very carefully and use a super sharp knife with very little pressure. Depending on your cooker and the position of the butt, this should have the horn meat and any other pieces around the bone at 195 or higher and tender. Your mileage may vary...

^^^ this

Smokin Mike
06-22-2012, 05:22 PM

this is what I try to do. last year I had it dailed in, it's a call!

excellent advice Bob!