PDA

View Full Version : When to start checking butt?

Pookie
06-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Hey fellas, planning my second smoke. Looks like it will be pork butt!

I've been reading up and found mixed results. I understand that they're done when probe tender but getting an estimate on time varies. at what point should I start actually checking for tenderness? Thing is, I don't have a thermometer with transmitter. Just a digital thermoworks one and would like to minimize opening the lid (if possible).

I plan on getting a pork butt/ picnic in the 7 to 10 lb range and using a wsm 18.5. Water in the bowl. Smoke at 225 to 250. Figuring 1.5 to 2 hrs per lb?

Your suggestions are always welcome (temp, time technique, etc.)!

My first smoke (baby backs) was a success thanks to everyone who chimed in! I'd like to keep my streak alive!:grin:

razrbakcrzy
06-21-2012, 11:11 AM
about 1.5 hrs per lb at that temp...then start probing...

jimmyinsd
06-21-2012, 12:12 PM
when the bone pulls, its done.

Mdboatbum
06-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Don't do anything for 4 hours. It should be about 160˚ at that point. If you're going to wrap, that's the time to do it. Check again 2 hours later, and every hour thereafter. It should be done in 10-24 hours total. :)
If you're in a rush, 300˚ for 5-7 hours usually gets me in the ballpark. No noticeable loss in quality, and the fat seems to render better at higher temp.

Pookie
06-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the advice guys!

Wampus
06-21-2012, 01:59 PM
I don't usually start probing until it's well out of the stall, or not until around 180-185. The stall can literally last for hours and hours (it'll freak you out the first time out). The butt will hit about 150-155 and just sit there for a good while, could be up to 3 hours. Wrapping in foil will help push through the stall somewhat.

Once (if) you wrap, wait a couple more hours and start checking temp. If it's anywhere below 180, wait. Once it gets to around 185, start checking for tenderness.

Pookie
06-21-2012, 02:17 PM
I don't usually start probing until it's well out of the stall, or not until around 180-185. The stall can literally last for hours and hours (it'll freak you out the first time out). The butt will hit about 150-155 and just sit there for a good while, could be up to 3 hours. Wrapping in foil will help push through the stall somewhat.

Once (if) you wrap, wait a couple more hours and start checking temp. If it's anywhere below 180, wait. Once it gets to around 185, start checking for tenderness.

Thanks Wampus.

Thing is, I don't have a wireless thermometer. Should I just buy one or can I get away with checking the temp using the 1.5 hr per lb as a guide? If its in the stall, I really don't want to keep opening the lid to check temp....Guess I answered my own question!

El Ropo
06-21-2012, 02:23 PM
General rule of thumb, the hotter the cooking temp, the higher the finishing temp. Since I cook on the hot side, I don't start checking till 195. It's pretty common for them to cruise into the low 200 area before I decide they're done.

When cooking at lower temps, they may get done in the mid 190s. Every piggie is gonna give it up differently.

You can cruise youtube and get many fancy recipes that recommend you remove at a particular internal temp. They're missing it.

cdollar
06-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Never checked the temp. When the bone pulls with a gentle twist and tug, I call 'er done.
This has always worked for me.

Chuck

Bludawg
06-21-2012, 04:39 PM
I porbe when it has gone 1 hr per lb to get a Feel for how much longer it needs to go. Bone in the bone is my sign, boneless when it feels soft like a fat girls teat.

Pookie
06-21-2012, 07:42 PM
General rule of thumb, the hotter the cooking temp, the higher the finishing temp. Since I cook on the hot side, I don't start checking till 195. It's pretty common for them to cruise into the low 200 area before I decide they're done.

When cooking at lower temps, they may get done in the mid 190s. Every piggie is gonna give it up differently.

You can cruise youtube and get many fancy recipes that recommend you remove at a particular internal temp. They're missing it.

Didn't know that cooking at high temp would result in higher finish temp. Thanks for the insight!

Pookie
06-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Never checked the temp. When the bone pulls with a gentle twist and tug, I call 'er done.
This has always worked for me.

Chuck

I'm now leaning towards ditching the thermometer and not thinking about temp. Guess it's done when it's done.

smokemonster
06-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Bone in the bone is my sign, boneless when it feels soft like a fat girls teat.

Nice!