PDA

View Full Version : Help Me With Spare Ribs Please!

WVFD710
06-20-2012, 12:21 PM
I've been Que'ing every weekend to get ready for a small BBQ Contest in August. I've entered it the last two years and am getting whooped on the spare ribs. My brisket and chicken do alright, and this will be my first year doing beans. Anyway, while I really enjoy my ribs, they are not award winners and I just want to try to win top 10 for once with them.

My question is, do most of you foil them after some time in the smoke? I am familiar with the process and almost always foil my brisket around 160-170º internal temp, but should I be foiling ribs too? I know it's a broad question, I apologize. My ribs rarely have the meat pulling back and exposing more bone, despite my best efforts to get them up to temps and beyond. I use a simple dry rub on them, nothing real fancy. I expect foiling them with a half cup of apple juice will help keep them more tender and moist, but should it help with making them fall apart tender and that meat pull back on the bone?

I've never judged ribs before, so I'm not 100% sure what they're looking and tasting for. Do you many of you sauce them before pulling from the heat (or just before plating)?

Any advice would be appreciated!

WVFD710
06-20-2012, 12:23 PM
If this belongs in another section, mods, please do move. I didn't intend it to be all about competition ribs....general advice for my own enjoyment would be great too!

Bludawg
06-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Using the crutch on ribs will give you the pull back and make they "Fall off the bone" (over cooked in my opinion) Cooking a contest and in the back yard are two different things. It is not important if YOU like your bones it is the judges that You're cooking for. Remember they only take 1 may be two bites you need to make that pop by developing layers of flavor that complement each other.
If your going to foil your ribs get the color where you want it before foiling.

ATXBBQ
06-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Skip the apple sauce and use apple juice in the foil to start. I also recommend glazing with some sort of sauce the last 20 minutes or so of the cook. Remember every layer of flavor counts in a comp..

Texas Turtle
06-20-2012, 12:33 PM
I always had spotty results on ribs until I finally broke down and went to the 2-1-1 method using foil. Since then I have had nothing but great results. I always thought using foil was cheating a bit, but nobody seems to care when they are chowing down on the results. Now, if I can just figure out that pesky brisket...

ATXBBQ
06-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Also as far as foil goes start with a search of 3-2-1 methond and go from there. That is 3 hours smoked - two hours in foil - 1 hour outside of foil (normally when you sacue the ribs). Depending on personal preference, rib size, cooking temps the 3-2-1 can change any number of ways...say a 2-2-1 or a 3-1-1.

WVFD710
06-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Skip the apple sauce and use apple juice in the foil to start. I also recommend glazing with some sort of sauce the last 20 minutes or so of the cook. Remember every layer of flavor counts in a comp..

Oops, that was a type-o....I use apple juice.

WVFD710
06-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Also as far as foil goes start with a search of 3-2-1 methond and go from there. That is 3 hours smoked - two hours in foil - 1 hour outside of foil (normally when you sacue the ribs). Depending on personal preference, rib size, cooking temps the 3-2-1 can change any number of ways...say a 2-2-1 or a 3-1-1.

Thank you for your input! I have read on the 3-2-1 method and was planning to try it this weekend for my first foiling of the ribs. Is apple juice better than anything else? Any other recommendations for the juice in the foil?

WVFD710
06-20-2012, 12:40 PM
I always had spotty results on ribs until I finally broke down and went to the 2-1-1 method using foil. Since then I have had nothing but great results. I always thought using foil was cheating a bit, but nobody seems to care when they are chowing down on the results. Now, if I can just figure out that pesky brisket...

I assume if I like them more, and my friends and family like them more, then judges will too. Hopefully this will get me to that next level so I can start playing with flavors more as well before the competition.

ATXBBQ
06-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Thank you for your input! I have read on the 3-2-1 method and was planning to try it this weekend for my first foiling of the ribs. Is apple juice better than anything else? Any other recommendations for the juice in the foil?

I've used lots of different things. You can use any fruit juice you like...I personally like peach flavors with my rub. I've also used different flavors of soda....the options are limitless. That is the good thing about pork, it goes with so many different flavors.

kenthanson
06-20-2012, 12:42 PM
What temp are you running at? That will make a big difference in the 2 of 3-2-1. If you are hot and fast say above 275, 2 is far to long, but if you are down in the 225 range 2 will probably work out for you.

WVFD710
06-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Awesome, I would have never considered trying peach flavored soda or juice. Does the peach or other flavoring have a real noticeable change or flavor carry-over into the meat? Or is it more subtle? Just a hint of a fruit flavor could be fun, but I'd hate to over-power the smoke and rub.

Keep the feedback coming, I truly do appreciate it all!

WVFD710
06-20-2012, 12:48 PM
What temp are you running at? That will make a big difference in the 2 of 3-2-1. If you are hot and fast say above 275, 2 is far to long, but if you are down in the 225 range 2 will probably work out for you.

I am able to keep a rather steady 225-250º in the pit throughout the duration of the cook. I can bring it up from there pretty easily, but I have not played with cooking at higher temps as of yet. During the foil process, should I be shooting for an internal temperature in the meat, or watching for the meat to pull back from bone, or other option? With my brisket I always just wait for the probe to slide in easily, but of course with ribs there is not as much meat and I do not know how easily it should slide in. Is it a comparable resistance I am looking for with ribs?

ATXBBQ
06-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Awesome, I would have never considered trying peach flavored soda or juice. Does the peach or other flavoring have a real noticeable change or flavor carry-over into the meat? Or is it more subtle? Just a hint of a fruit flavor could be fun, but I'd hate to over-power the smoke and rub.

Keep the feedback coming, I truly do appreciate it all!

The flavors from the liquid in the foil are normally subtle compared to the rub and sauce you use, but they are definately there. The most important thing to think of is trying the keep the flavor of the rub, sauce and foil liquid in line to compliment each other. You wouldn't want to use sweet flavors in your rub and foil then hit it with a strong vinegar sauce....atleast I've never tried it.

olewarthog
06-20-2012, 12:59 PM
I assume if I like them more, and my friends and family like them more, then judges will too. Hopefully this will get me to that next level so I can start playing with flavors more as well before the competition.

You know what happens when you ass-u-me. Forget about what you like or your friends like. I have judged quite a few comps (master CBJ) & I most cook teams I have talked with over the years say they don't like to eat their competition ribs. Again, you are trying to impress judge after one bite, not after eating a whole rack.

For tenderness, try poking with a toothpick like you do the probe on brisket.

Pitmaster T
06-20-2012, 01:19 PM
The EDICT

My Suggestions

Pitmaster T Series - Weep 'em and Read (Success with No Foil High Heat Ribs) - YouTube

Pitmaster T's Quickies Dalmatian Flea Powder for Ribs - YouTube

Pitmaster T Series - Big Maybelle's Candy Glaze - YouTube

Popdaddys' Stuff Not Mine!!!!

Weeping ribs Technique - YouTube

Turkey and Dumplins - Popdaddys Sensuality Recipe Series - YouTube

Turkeys have ribs too

WVFD710
06-20-2012, 01:43 PM
You know what happens when you ass-u-me. Forget about what you like or your friends like. I have judged quite a few comps (master CBJ) & I most cook teams I have talked with over the years say they don't like to eat their competition ribs. Again, you are trying to impress judge after one bite, not after eating a whole rack.

For tenderness, try poking with a toothpick like you do the probe on brisket.

Duly noted, thank you! If I may ask, what are the things judges are looking for? Just whatever they like best after a bite or two? Does appearance matter?

kenthanson
06-20-2012, 02:52 PM
What sanctioning body are you competing under? There are differing guidelines to ribs but mostly just small differences. For appearance judges are looking for symetrical and clean cuts, they are also looking for a nice dark rib with a good bark. That is why it's important to get the colour you want before you wrap in foil. Also for appearance your ribs should be sauced evenly and crisp looking, not sloppy. For texture when a bite is taken from a rib, the meat should pull cleanly from the bone with a bit of resistance, when you bite the all the meat on that side of the bone should not come off. On the flip side if you bite into it and have to either chew through the meat or pull with lots of resistance, no good. For taste a layer of flavors is sought. As a judge i'm looking to be able to taste the meat first, than flavors from the smoke, rub and sauce. A good scoring rib will have all of those flavors blended perfectly to achieve a good flavor profile. Also judges usually only take one or maybe two bites, so your flavors should be bold so that it gives that one or two bites a POP! When I prepare ribs for at home I don't use a lot of sugar or lot's of sauce, leaving a subtle and simple flavor but in competition ribs lot's of teams when they foil they add tiger sauce, or sweet chili sauce and margarine or butter to give it lots of flavor and pop, but to sit down and eat more than 2 or 3 of those types of ribs and you won't be feeling the greatest. Hope this helps!

Bludawg
06-20-2012, 03:32 PM
:twitch:What sanctioning body are you competing under? There are differing guidelines to ribs but mostly just small differences. For appearance judges are looking for symetrical and clean cuts, they are also looking for a nice dark rib with a good bark. That is why it's important to get the colour you want before you wrap in foil. Also for appearance your ribs should be sauced evenly and crisp looking, not sloppy. For texture when a bite is taken from a rib, the meat should pull cleanly from the bone with a bit of resistance, when you bite the all the meat on that side of the bone should not come off. On the flip side if you bite into it and have to either chew through the meat or pull with lots of resistance, no good. For taste a layer of flavors is sought. As a judge i'm looking to be able to taste the meat first, than flavors from the smoke, rub and sauce. A good scoring rib will have all of those flavors blended perfectly to achieve a good flavor profile. Also judges usually only take one or maybe two bites, so your flavors should be bold so that it gives that one or two bites a POP! When I prepare ribs for at home I don't use a lot of sugar or lot's of sauce, leaving a subtle and simple flavor but in competition ribs lot's of teams when they foil they add tiger sauce, or sweet chili sauce and margarine or butter to give it lots of flavor and pop, but to sit down and eat more than 2 or 3 of those types of ribs and you won't be feeling the greatest. Hope this helps!
:twitch:May be he will get it I said the same thing:rolleyes:

JS-TX
06-20-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm guessing you are doing IBCA style comps. Have you ever judged one of these before? If not I highly recommend doing a couple so you have an idea of what other teams are turning in. If anything trade some ribs with some other teams, preferably teams that do well most of the time.

I'm in the same boat, everybody likes my ribs except for the judges. I traded a few ribs with a top team and the biggest difference is that their ribs had more overall flavor, not spicy, not sweet, not too salty just more savory. I smoked some spares on Father's day and rubbed my ribs overnight, something I don't normally do but what was recommended to me by that team. I was worried about a hammy taste, but they came out fine and had more overall flavor. I agree with the others that said you should have layers of flavor. Your ribs shouldn't be 1D. So much for keeping things simple! :mmph:

For tenderness, your ribs should be probe/toothpick tender, but not overly tender. Remember they use a cheap plastic knife and fork to sample all BBQ, so if it's hard for them to cut, you are already behind before they even sample it.

WVFD710
06-20-2012, 04:07 PM
What sanctioning body are you competing under? There are differing guidelines to ribs but mostly just small differences. For appearance judges are looking for symetrical and clean cuts, they are also looking for a nice dark rib with a good bark. That is why it's important to get the colour you want before you wrap in foil. Also for appearance your ribs should be sauced evenly and crisp looking, not sloppy. For texture when a bite is taken from a rib, the meat should pull cleanly from the bone with a bit of resistance, when you bite the all the meat on that side of the bone should not come off. On the flip side if you bite into it and have to either chew through the meat or pull with lots of resistance, no good. For taste a layer of flavors is sought. As a judge i'm looking to be able to taste the meat first, than flavors from the smoke, rub and sauce. A good scoring rib will have all of those flavors blended perfectly to achieve a good flavor profile. Also judges usually only take one or maybe two bites, so your flavors should be bold so that it gives that one or two bites a POP! When I prepare ribs for at home I don't use a lot of sugar or lot's of sauce, leaving a subtle and simple flavor but in competition ribs lot's of teams when they foil they add tiger sauce, or sweet chili sauce and margarine or butter to give it lots of flavor and pop, but to sit down and eat more than 2 or 3 of those types of ribs and you won't be feeling the greatest. Hope this helps!

That makes perfect sense, thank you!

WVFD710
06-20-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm guessing you are doing IBCA style comps. Have you ever judged one of these before? If not I highly recommend doing a couple so you have an idea of what other teams are turning in. If anything trade some ribs with some other teams, preferably teams that do well most of the time.

I'm in the same boat, everybody likes my ribs except for the judges. I traded a few ribs with a top team and the biggest difference is that their ribs had more overall flavor, not spicy, not sweet, not too salty just more savory. I smoked some spares on Father's day and rubbed my ribs overnight, something I don't normally do but what was recommended to me by that team. I was worried about a hammy taste, but they came out fine and had more overall flavor. I agree with the others that said you should have layers of flavor. Your ribs shouldn't be 1D. So much for keeping things simple! :mmph:

For tenderness, your ribs should be probe/toothpick tender, but not overly tender. Remember they use a cheap plastic knife and fork to sample all BBQ, so if it's hard for them to cut, you are already behind before they even sample it.

Yes sir, IBCA. In this small competition, you don't have to take any judging classes or anything like that....they pull ANYBODY they can get to judge at this thing. but every year it's the same folks winning, so I figure there's something to it. I can keep cooking what I like at home, but I will admit some hardware for the walls of the garage would be sweet :)

I've traded with other teams, including some of the winners and they all like the ribs. But it seems they aren't looking to handout secrets or tips either.