PDA

View Full Version : Country Ham

The_Kapn
09-23-2005, 03:14 PM
Just got a call from ChiBill at Greg's.

They have a "Country Ham" that has some mold on the skin.
I told him to scrape the mold off--soak in water 12+ hours to get the salt level down some (if they want)--cook-- and enjoy!

I love "Good Ole Salty" Country Ham or Bacon.

Anyone have any other guidance for them???

They will be checking the board later.

TIM

qman
09-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Just got a call from ChiBill at Greg's.

They have a "Country Ham" that has some mold on the skin.
I told him to scrape the mold off--soak in water 12+ hours to get the salt level down some (if they want)--cook-- and enjoy!

I love "Good Ole Salty" Country Ham or Bacon.

Anyone have any other guidance for them???

They will be checking the board later.

TIM

Sounds good, Tim.
If it is a whole ham, it may take 24 hours to de-salt. It can sit at room temp for this process.

Conventional wisdom says to simmer in fresh clean water[after soaking] to soften ham and release more salt. Then finish in cooker, just llike you would do a regular [city]ham. I have the entire process documented in my kitchen notebooks, I will look it up and post anything else pertinent.

qman
09-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Sounds good, Tim.
If it is a whole ham, it may take 24 hours to de-salt. It can sit at room temp for this process.

Conventional wisdom says to simmer in fresh clean water[after soaking] to soften ham and release more salt. Then finish in cooker, just llike you would do a regular [city]ham. I have the entire process documented in my kitchen notebooks, I will look it up and post anything else pertinent.

Quote-ing myself:roll:
Ok I just looked up my notes. You can soak up to three days to de-salt and re-hydrate, depending on how old the ham is. Change water each day.

After soaking, cook at very low simmer for 4 to 5 hours in fresh water. Then bake [or for the brethren, smoke in cooker. Ham only needs to reach 140- or so internal in cooker.

If it is a very young ham[6-9 months aging] you can cook without soaking, but it will be extremely salty.

qman
09-23-2005, 06:16 PM
I do not want to over-post on this, but I just remmebered I wanted to say: I use a vegetable brush and scrub the ham well under running water to remove any mold on the skin.
Edit: DO NOT tell your cardiologist that you ate this:-D He might have a coronary.

The_Kapn
09-23-2005, 07:05 PM
One other thought Guys.

You are really "time limited" if you want Country Ham for breakfast on Sat or Sun.:evil:
So--consider cutting it into big chunks.
That will allow you to soak out the salt a lot faster and smoke her "chunks" up quicker http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif

Not "traditiional"--not "pretty"--but a whole lot quicker http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif
Should taste just as fine!

That bone will make some killer beans http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif

Any leftovers can come my way--no problemno. http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif

TIM

qman
09-23-2005, 07:21 PM
Good call, Tiim:

I thought about suggesting breaking the ham into thick slices, but without a butcher's bandsaw or a good bone saw, that would be difficult. Carving chunks off the bone to deal with should work great.

FLfishR
09-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Why would you want to soak country ham? Slice it and fry it.

The_Kapn
09-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Well, that was my origonal suggestion.
But, unfortuntly, some folks don't appreciate salt the way we dohttp://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif
Go figure.

TIM

FLfishR
09-23-2005, 10:31 PM
I think they call them Yankees.

qman
09-23-2005, 11:14 PM
We are talking about ChiBill and the gang at the bash, so we have to assume that a smoker has to be involved in the cooking process:-D

icemn62
09-24-2005, 12:33 AM

A non smoked item at the bash? I don't think they even allow that thought. I wish I was there.

rbinms33
09-24-2005, 09:55 AM

I second that. Cut it up into smaller pieces and then fry it up. Man, it makes a house smell good. Then put a slice onto a biscuit with a little mustard (or plain in Bill's case) and enjoy. Save those bacon drippings and make some deep dip (a.k.a. red eye) gravy to pour on a couple of open faced biscuits.....good stuff!!

Trout_man22
09-26-2005, 07:45 AM
At least he must be drunk:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10516&page=1&pp=20

Ron_L
09-26-2005, 08:11 AM
After all of that, we never ate it!

Dang! I wanted to try it! I have a buddy who married a girl from Tennessee and she used to get a country ham from her parents every christmas. Good stuff!

ggeilman
09-26-2005, 08:31 AM
I don't understand it either. Why bother to get country ham and then ruin it?

chad
09-26-2005, 09:07 AM
My blood pressure goes up 10 or 15 points just thinking about country ham! :razz:

Soaking and scrubbing the exterior with a brush is the "normal" procedure for a large ham of this type. The salt can get overpowering for those not of Southern heritage!:mrgreen:

qman
09-26-2005, 09:42 AM
My blood pressure goes up 10 or 15 points just thinking about country ham! :razz:

Soaking and scrubbing the exterior with a brush is the "normal" procedure for a large ham of this type. The salt can get overpowering for those not of Southern heritage!:mrgreen:

Or for those us of Southern Heritage who have had to de-salt our diet for health reasons. Truth be told, most of us eat far less salt than we used too, and the contrast between our normal salt level and that of a true country ham is astounding.
Soaking the excess salt out of a country ham has alway's been the norm in my part of the south. The result is still plenty salty and none of the flavor is lost.
my 2 cents:-D

Bill-Chicago
09-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Country ham fried up with eggs on a Sunday morning is one thing.

Country ham (not soaked) after you just spent 2 days gorging nearly non stop on something or another, would have shot my sodium levels to dangerous levels :)

Trout_man22
09-26-2005, 11:58 AM
The best county hams are made just down the road from me in Smithfield. The Smithfielld Inn soaks the ham for Sunday dinner. Now I do like a piece of fried country ham with my grits but not a whole ham.

brdbbq
09-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Bury the grits.

Trout_man22
09-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Grits or rice

brdbbq
09-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Both