PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Pork Belly

CarbonToe
09-23-2005, 03:28 AM
I have 1.5kg of Pork Belly (Single sheet about 0.75" thick)

I was going to make bacon with it but now I've had a look it's a little thin. :roll:

I'm going to be smoking Ribs for the Formula 1 qualifying tomorrow so I was going to throw the Belly into the WSM whilst the ribs are cooking.

Advice........:grin:

qman
09-23-2005, 06:05 PM
I have 1.5kg of Pork Belly (Single sheet about 0.75" thick)

I was going to make bacon with it but now I've had a look it's a little thin. :roll:

I'm going to be smoking Ribs for the Formula 1 qualifying tomorrow so I was going to throw the Belly into the WSM whilst the ribs are cooking.

Advice........:grin:
Hey CT
That is FRESH pork belly you are talking about, right? I think you can cook it in the smoker just about the same way you will do the ribs. As thin as it is, you might want to think about rolling it, and tying it with string, and treating it like a small pork butt. 1.5 kg translates to about 3 pounds, I think. I have cooked pork belly, but not in the smoker. Most of my experience has been with recipes in the Asian mod.

Unless I am mistaken, the belly is what they carve off the bones that become spare-ribs.

The_Kapn
09-23-2005, 07:59 PM
Pork bellies are the underside of the hog, from which bacon is made

Nothing much better than smoked bacon:lol:

Lay it out flat--or roll it--your choice.

Traditonal smoked bacon is done at really low temps--like under 160 or so.
Takes forever--product to die for if done right :lol:

So, experiment for us--just smoke it up like basic pork.
Gonna be a lot of rendered fat??????
Take pics.
Send samples :lol: :lol:

Let us know how it goes.

TIM

CarbonToe
09-24-2005, 04:14 AM
Hey CT
That is FRESH pork belly you are talking about, right? Unless I am mistaken, the belly is what they carve off the bones that become spare-ribs.

Spot on, it's been living in my freezer for about 2 weeks as a by product of buying ribs (If you asked for Rib's from my local butchers you get just that!!!).

I've always done the belly asian style (in the oven) with a really chrispy skin, and I've a bumper stack of bacon in the freezer so I'm going out on a limb.....

Last night I chopped off about 700g belly, rubbed down the pork with a basic red rub put it back in the fridge. As I'm firing up the WSM for V3 of the UK Fatty (Home grown pepper stuffed with cream cheese [Phili], mushrooms, onion and garlic) and wrapped in Porkinson sausage meat (with chopped chilli added) wrapped in maple cure bacon) and a smallish rack of ribs (in brown sugar, salt and pepper), I'm going to throw in the belly in as well. :razz:

I'll take photos and if all goes well (or not!!!) I'll open a new thread and post them.....