PDA

View Full Version : New Smoker with prep questions

CrispyRibs
06-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Hi All,

I am a newbie to smoking. I live out in the desert-boonies and fire restrictions are part of my life for more than six months of the year. I wanted to give smoking ribs and meats a try so here's what I did. Please spare me the ridicule for the cheap smoker, but I am retired on a very short income, and I gotta make do with what I gotta make do with.

http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee363/MyPics4Me/Smoker/

The hotplate conversion and the retaining box gives me a steady 220F at the top rain, wind hail or shine. As you can also see the ribs do not look so shabby for a first try.

However, they had a tough skin (not the membrane) but all over. It was paper thin but like leather. Fortunately it peeled off like sausage skin. The meat was moist and very tasty, so no complaints there.

I didn't have the fixins for a dry rub so I used a BBQ sauce and liberally slopped it around then cooked for six hours.

Can anyone throw some light on what caused the tough skin?

Also how does one estimate cooking times? I have some turkey thighs from the freezer that will go in tomorrow. I will have dry rub by then.

Thanks

Dave

superlazy
06-18-2012, 07:00 PM
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee363/MyPics4Me/Smoker/SMOKE2.jpg

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee363/MyPics4Me/Smoker/SMOKE3.jpg

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee363/MyPics4Me/Smoker/Smokerfirstribs01small.jpg

Mark M
06-18-2012, 07:26 PM
I'm no ribs expert, so sorry, can't help you there. But hey, excellent effort and I think it's cool that you're trying your best with what'cha got. Good luck!

El Ropo
06-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Pure genius on the conversion, but I'd recommend figuring out a way to get your temps at cooking grate higher, like 250.

If you are using water in the pan, maybe ditch the water and cover pan with foil for easy cleanup.

**Edit** Oops, I forgot to mention don't sauce till the last 30 minutes or so, if at all. I prefer dry ribs, when done right, no sauce, mop, spritz required.

The high sugar content of bbq sauce will burn bad on a long cook. Next time, just use what you have hanging around the kitchen. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, maybe onion powder (I like cayenne and chili powder too).

Ag76
06-18-2012, 08:16 PM
"I didn't have the fixins for a dry rub so I used a BBQ sauce and liberally slopped it around then cooked for six hours."

I would recommend putting the BBQ sauce on at the end instead of at the start. Your sauce appears to have burned on your meat.

Southstar Jeff
06-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Don't apologize for the cooker, that's an awesome set up.

I second the notion on the sauce, no sauce at all would be better, or if you insist, only at the end of the cook. Plain salt and pepper makes a darn good rub....

bmontg2
06-18-2012, 08:22 PM
I agree baste with ur sauce the last 20-30 minutes of ur cook

CrispyRibs
06-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Wow, thanks guys for all the kind words and suggestions.

I gotta slap my forehead and say "DUH!" on the dry rub. You are of course correct, pepper and salt would have also been OK and I do have those. :grin:

It sounds like the sauce-first was the cause of it all. It was exactly as ag76 and ElRopo mention. I had a spare rack that I steam re-heated last night and that softened all the skin. In fact it was pretty darned good the second time round. Gotta thumbs up from the SO.

I got into the BBQ mindset and figured everything had to be BBQ. I have been suitably chastised and promise to never be so reckless again. :D

I am at max heat with that hotplate unless I can find one that is more than a 1000-Watts. I did use the water pan with about a gallon in it and finished up with about a half-gallon at the end.

I can get about another ten degrees without that pan and water in place.

Thanks again for encouragement and suggestions. Great forum.

Chef Jim
06-19-2012, 09:56 AM
All good info. Keep at it and post often.

Welcome to the club!!

twinsfan
06-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Very cool. I use a Brinkmann myself, with charcoal, and it can be hell. I think you've got the right idea, regardless of the rules in your area. :clap2:

CrispyRibs
06-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks guys. I am a retired Mechanical Engineer so my first thoughts are always how to "fix" things. :)

Dave

pork_butt
06-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Crispy, I too use the Brinkmann Smoke'N Grill. I do not have the hotplate mod though.

I have smoked some good food on this thing. For ribs I have used the 3-2-1 method. 3 hrs on smoker - 2 hrs on smoker wrapped in foil - 1 hr on smoker w/no foil and will sauce the last 15-20 mins. I have also modified that to 3-1-1. I have done both BB and St. Louis style with success.

This is only one method. There are several on this forum that do not foil their ribs. They will cook until the ribs pass the bend test.

Use the search feature at the bottom and you will get more knowledge than you can possibly read.

Good luck and good smoking.

enasnidx
06-19-2012, 12:31 PM
I think you did a great job working with what you got. The box looks terrific and I'm sure contributes greatly to blocking wind that will rob you of heat. Excellent ingenuity. Just keep practicing and don't be afraid to ask questions. As you can see already by this thread, you are among the best group of online enthusiasts around! There is a wealth of knowledge here and if you can't find something by searching, this crew will be right there to chime in.

DaveMW
06-19-2012, 12:45 PM
I am betting you pulled off layers of sauce that baked to a "leathery skin". Great work around on working with what you have and the associated restrictions. Give it another go and let us know how things turn out. :thumb:

CrispyRibs
06-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks guys, the turkey thighs are in brine as I type. Going into the Brinkman around 2:00pm this afternoon. Stay tuned.

Smoker101
06-19-2012, 01:14 PM
ya keep up the good work. work with what you got. Even maybe down the road you might be able to find something else on CL that you might be able to use.

captndan
06-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Looks like a right fine cooker to me. Good advise about the sauce. Don't forget that poultry takes a higher heat than beef or pork. Were those rattlesnake ribs?

CrispyRibs
06-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Were those rattlesnake ribs?

We don't joke about Rattle snakes around here... :grin:
Before
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee363/MyPics4Me/The%20Dog/Ratllerbefore.jpg
After bite the swelling was terrifyong to look at. Worst was he kept looking at me kinda saying, Dave, can't you fix this?" Vet gave him some shots and said, "just gotta wait it out."
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee363/MyPics4Me/The%20Dog/RATTLE1.jpg
Happily all is well and he pulled through it, but it was touch and go for a while. Took almost a month to fully recover.

LoneStarMojo
06-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Holy smokes! That looks really serious. Glad to hear he pulled through. As for your ribs and smoker...looks like you already have plenty of good advice. This place is like that. Good advice and no judgement. Lovely bunch of fellers and some good gals here.

Tatoosh
06-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Great idea! I may try this myself.

Midnight Smoke
06-20-2012, 12:07 AM
Yep, I think the excess layers of sauce built up like lacquer and turned into a hard candy like coating.