PDA

View Full Version : Blood weeping out of ribs?

CarolinaQue
06-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Has any body ever had blood weep out of a rack of ribs as they cooked? This rack that I have on the Weber has had blood weeping out of a small area that I've had to dab dry twice and has what I'm assuming is blood weeping out of the bone ends. Has any one ever experienced this before? I can't remember ever seeing blood weep out of the meat?

Ryan Chester
06-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Yup. I've had it come up in spots all throughout the rack. Happens often actually.

CarolinaQue
06-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Thanks Ryan! Do you usually just let it go, or dab the area dry every once in a while?

These are a different brand than the ones I usually cook. I figured it was normal. It's only an animal that had blood running through it's muscles after all! I've seen the weeping from the bones before, but couldn't recall ever seeing it weep from the actual meat side.

Mo-Dave
06-18-2012, 01:19 PM
I have never experienced blood on ribs but that is because, after I put them on and close the lid they are just about done when I raise the lid again.

I would not dab the blood off if I did see it, do you dab the blood of a steak, hamburger or any other meat when you see it, I know I don't, so my answer, let it go.
Dave

Myrdhyn
06-18-2012, 01:24 PM
I thought the red juices we see in meat are just protein laden water, not actually blood. Any way around it, I'm with Mo-Dave, just let it go.

enasnidx
06-18-2012, 01:40 PM
I've had that happen before too. This weekend I did a few racks that were weeping blood as well. I do believe it is actually blood though, not the myoglobin that we are used to seeing from steaks and burgers (commonly mistaken for blood). You can tell it is actually blood when it turns black after cooking - think blood sausage if you've ever seen it. It is noticeably different when you dab blood with a napkin (very rich red) as opposed to myoglobin (watered down red/pink).

I do dab it as best I can when I am prepping my ribs, but after that, just smoke away! You won't get rid of it all and it all tastes the same in the end.

CarolinaQue
06-18-2012, 02:12 PM
I have never experienced blood on ribs but that is because, after I put them on and close the lid they are just about done when I raise the lid again.

I would not dab the blood off if I did see it, do you dab the blood of a steak, hamburger or any other meat when you see it, I know I don't, so my answer, let it go.
Dave

Well, I can understand, and usually practice the "if you're lookin', you ain't cookin'" approach. But, there were a few things out of sorts that I was trying to figure out that required taking the lid off of my OTG. That's when I saw the blood (yes, I'm sure it was blood) weeping out of the meat.

As far as dabbing it on the ribs, versus a steak, I don't ever remember seeing blood weep out of a steak either. The light pink liquid, sure, and I don't worry about it. A steak is on the grill for 10 minutes or so and not 5 hours or so that ribs are on a smoker. I really only dabbed it out of concern of the rub and how the blood might affect the flavor.

But, as has been suggested, it was likely of little concern or issue. Every thing has settled into the 275* temp and are moving along nicely now.

Thanks for the info and help fellas!!!

Johnny_Crunch
06-18-2012, 02:58 PM
I wipe it off of chicken so people don't get grossed out. Never had a problem really on ribs.

brbbbq
06-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Dab it with a sterile wipe, put anti-septic on it and follow up with a band aid.

CarolinaQue
06-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Dab it with a sterile wipe, put anti-septic on it and follow up with a band aid.

Thanks...I never thought of that:noidea:

el_matt
06-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Had it happen again yesterday. Never gave it 2 thoughts until reading this thread. I imagine it has happened more than I've noticed, but I don't do anything about it.

Matt

Stoke&Smoke
06-18-2012, 05:08 PM
I thought the red juices we see in meat are just protein laden water, not actually blood. Any way around it, I'm with Mo-Dave, just let it go.

This is correct, it isn't blood, it's myaglobin. the bulk of the blood is drained at slaughter

Mo-Dave
06-18-2012, 05:11 PM

Since it has been trimmed it may need stitches.
Dave

CarolinaQue
06-18-2012, 05:19 PM
This is correct, it isn't blood, it's myaglobin. the bulk of the blood is drained at slaughter

If it was myaglobin, it was the darkest, reddest myaglobin I've ever seen.

enasnidx
06-18-2012, 05:23 PM

On the contrary, this actually is blood. I know the difference between myoglobin and blood well. As you mentioned, the bulk of the blood is drained at slaughter, but there is sometimes a few blood vessels that don't drain all the way. Just like when you grill chicken and every once in a while you get that black vein that grosses someone out. Blood will turn thick and black when heated. Myoglobin will stay reddish pink and be thin and watery. It's not often that it happens, but once in a while you may come across a rib or piece of chicken with a little blood vessel. It will probably leave a little black bubbly spot on the end of the rib. No harm. Just an occurance. After 5 hours of smoking it all tastes great anyway!

trekmstr
06-18-2012, 05:29 PM
ask a serious question and get smart alek answers. i love it:shock:

enasnidx
06-18-2012, 05:52 PM
ask a serious question and get smart alek answers. i love it:shock:

Been there. Done that. Got deleted by the mods. Learned that lesson. :-P

I try to keep on point, but as we know, we brethren can get carried away sometimes...:blah:

buccaneer
06-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Seconded.
It's blood not myoglobin.
And nothing you need to do anything about T man.

brbbbq
06-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Sorry for the earlier post, but I could not resist.
I see this almost every time I cook ribs. On the meat and always out of the bone ends. I chalk it up to cooking at higher temps, 300 to 325.

CarolinaQue
06-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Well, I've seen it on the bone ends many times, but this was a first for me with it coming through the meat. My cook temps were right around 275* though and not at the #00* to 325* mark. Maybe it starts at the 275* mark?

Mo-Dave
06-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Sorry for the earlier post, but I could not resist.
I see this almost every time I cook ribs. On the meat and always out of the bone ends. I chalk it up to cooking at higher temps, 300 to 325.

Hey there were plenty of good post made before the wise cracking so I don't feel bad about it and neither should you. It was not done in a condescending way, at least I don't believe it should have been taken that way.
Dave

Mo-Dave
06-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Well, I can understand, and usually practice the "if you're lookin', you ain't cookin'" approach. But, there were a few things out of sorts that I was trying to figure out that required taking the lid off of my OTG. That's when I saw the blood (yes, I'm sure it was blood) weeping out of the meat.

As far as dabbing it on the ribs, versus a steak, I don't ever remember seeing blood weep out of a steak either. The light pink liquid, sure, and I don't worry about it. A steak is on the grill for 10 minutes or so and not 5 hours or so that ribs are on a smoker. I really only dabbed it out of concern of the rub and how the blood might affect the flavor.

But, as has been suggested, it was likely of little concern or issue. Every thing has settled into the 275* temp and are moving along nicely now.

Thanks for the info and help fellas!!!

I have seen bloooood coming out of all kinds of meat, I don't know nothing about this myaglobin. Yes I have seen very deep red and a pale liquid on the top of meat being cooked, depending how long its been on, never has bothered me, now if I heard the dang thing moo, cackle or oink that would be different.

Of course I have had to open my pit for one reason or other in the early stage of cooking, just adding the pitmaster credo spoken here by others so often.
Dave

swamprb
06-18-2012, 10:51 PM
cracked rib bone.

ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
06-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Definitely blood.. Some bleed and some don't. I'm not sure why but I suspect it has something to do with the processing stage. I just let it go.. If it grosses anyone out, I'd say wipe it. You're good to go though..