PDA

View Full Version : Best coals for grilling fast...bone-in ribeyes

Sub-80
06-14-2012, 10:40 AM
I've never used lump charcaol...or the royal brand I think some call it.

I'm doing a couple aged bone-in ribeye steaks for myself and my dad this Sunday. It's not the first time...but I've always used kingsford briquettes on my weber kettle. I've cooked many a great steak on them...but wondering if I can improve the sear by going with lump charcaol...

I haven't picked up the steaks yet, but they will be thick...1 1/2 min I'd say...

What has been your experiences with briquettes vs lump w/ steaks?

BBQ Grail
06-14-2012, 10:47 AM
You're going to get a billion different answers here. And a the normal debate between lump and briquettes.

What needs to improve on your sear? Are you talking about grill marks? If it's grill marks nothing, in my opinion, will improve them if you are using a weber kettle. I love my four weber kettles but they produce less than satisfying grill marks, no matter what you use.

I am, and always will be, a Kingsford Charcoal user. Yes, I know all the complaints and such, but for me it's the way to go.

Sub-80
06-14-2012, 10:54 AM
I don't care much for grill marks...they are nice and all, but not my main concern...

I have not been unhappy with the results of the charcoal briquettes...I've lived on them for my whole life (I'm 43). I was just wondering what the results may be with a hotter/faster variety

My dad and I both go medium rare on all things beef...

caseydog
06-14-2012, 10:54 AM
I rarely cook with lump, and I have 400 pounds of KB in the garage, but for hot and fast steaks, lump is the way to go. You can even cook your steaks directly on the lump charcoal -- no grate.

BTW, Kroger's house brand lump and briquettes are made by Royal Oak. I bought some Kroger Lump to cook a t-bone directly on the coals last week, and it worked great. Pr0n...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=516&pictureid=5865

CD

BBQ Grail
06-14-2012, 10:57 AM
I don't care much for grill marks...they are nice and all, but not my main concern...

I have not been been unhappy with the results of the charcoal briquettes...I've lived on them for my whole life (I'm 43). I was just wondering what the results may be with a hotter/faster variety

My dad and I both go medium rare on all things beef...

When I cooking just for eating, I prefer my steaks cooked in a cast iron skillet set on the grill grates. Love the total carmelization of the fats.

If it's for my blog, then grill marks make a better photo.

I'm curious about the improving sear comment. What need to improve then?

BBQ Grail
06-14-2012, 10:59 AM
I rarely cook with lump, and I have 400 pounds of KB in the garage, but for hot and fast steaks, lump is the way to go. You can even cook your steaks directly on the lump charcoal -- no grate.

BTW, Kroger's house brand lump and briquettes are made by Royal Oak. I bought some Kroger Lump to cook a t-bone directly on the coals last week, and it worked great. Pr0n...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=516&pictureid=5865

CD

Love, love, love the presentation.

Big Bears BBQ
06-14-2012, 11:00 AM
KB for me and Caseydog steak looks great and I like fork ......

Bludawg
06-14-2012, 11:02 AM
I only burn RO lump It burns much hotter then briquettes and cleaner too.
To get good grill marks start with a clean grate and a hot load of lump. Let the grate preheat about 30 min with the lid on and the intakes and exhaust wide open. Use a paper towel and a pair of tongs to oil the grate and drop on the steaks go two min and rotate 90 deg go 3 min and flip repeat & eat.
I'm not much for grill marks unless I'm trying to impress. Steaks & chops I normally don't even use the grate I through the meat on the coals, 2 min a side and ready to eat.

Sub-80
06-14-2012, 11:07 AM
When I cooking just for eating, I prefer my steaks cooked in a cast iron skillet set on the grill grates. Love the total carmelization of the fats.

If it's for my blog, then grill marks make a better photo.

I'm curious about the improving sear comment. What need to improve then?

I can see the point if a photo was necessary to post to a
Blog. But I've had, as I'm sure others have, many a good steak that did not have superior grill markings.

I'm just looking for that peferct charred surface on a medium rare steak. Of course I've accomplished this with kingsford. I just have never used the other variety and wondered if it's even easier to accomplish because of the hotter source.

NeoTrout
06-14-2012, 11:10 AM
For steaks and burgers I use Nature-Glo lump. It is the food service version for Royal Oak. It works great, IMO. Plus, I know it's available in the Chicago area. Definitely worth a try.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag43.htm
:cool:

BBQ Grail
06-14-2012, 11:11 AM
I can see the point if a photo was necessary to post to a
Blog. But I've had, as I'm sure others have, many a good steak that did not have superior grill markings.

I'm just looking for that peferct charred surface on a medium rare steak. Of course I've accomplished this with kingsford. I just have never used the other variety and wondered if it's even easier to accomplish because of the hotter source.

Do you have a cast iron skillet? Try using that on the grill grates. If you get the skillet really hot, you'll get a perfect all around sear.

LG

spider22
06-14-2012, 11:11 AM
If you have chimney starter and have some access to hardwood I wonder if it would help to mix in some chunks in with the briquettes to make some hotter coals

Sub-80
06-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Do you have a cast iron skillet? Try using that on the grill grates. If you get the skillet really hot, you'll get a perfect all around sear.

LG

I did have a trusty cast iron skillet...well seasoned from use.

Unfortunately the last time I used it, I set it aside outside to cool...and by the time I remembered it the next day I found out my twins had taken it back to the forest that boarders the back-end of my property to let the animals enjoy its remnants. It hasn't been seen in a few weeks.

I've yet to replace it...

Sub-80
06-14-2012, 11:30 AM
If you have chimney starter and have some access to hardwood I wonder if it would help to mix in some chunks in with the briquettes to make some hotter coals

I don't have a chimney starter. I used to rep a company that sold pressed wood starter strips that light easily...and are easily breakable. I break a few pieces off and light them amongst the coals. I don't use lighter fluid...and won't.

But I do have access to the hardwood...

kennyd0118
06-14-2012, 11:33 AM
I did have a trusty cast iron skillet...well seasoned from use.

Unfortunately the last time I used it, I set it aside outside to cool...and by the time I remembered it the next day I found out my twins had taken it back to the forest that boarders the back-end of my property to let the animals enjoy its remnants. It hasn't been seen in a few weeks.

I've yet to replace it...

Go get it!!!!
I think I would fight a bear to get my cast iron pan back
Kenny

caseydog
06-14-2012, 11:37 AM
I find that a chimney starter gets my KB burning hotter, faster.

I like that char you are talking about, too. I don't bother with grill marks, either. One Weber chimney full of KB, dumped on one side of my OTG, easily provides enough heat to give me a nice, brown char, and medium rare center.

CD

Sub-80
06-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Go get it!!!!
I think I would fight a bear to get my cast iron pan back
Kenny

As would I...but the twins are just 9 years old...and not good at directions. It has yet to be located.

Not sure I'd want it back at this point. I can get a new one. Won't take me long to re-season it up to standards

troytime
06-14-2012, 01:27 PM
If it's grill marks nothing, in my opinion, will improve them if you are using a weber kettle. I love my four weber kettles but they produce less than satisfying grill marks, no matter what you use.

I am, and always will be, a Kingsford Charcoal user. Yes, I know all the complaints and such, but for me it's the way to go.

Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the grill ;)

V-wiz
06-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Get a cast iron grate and throw in a bunch of WOOD charcoal.

landarc
06-14-2012, 01:58 PM
I prefer lump for the heat, but, often mix them with briquettes since that is what is leftover sometimes. I use a kettle and don't get great grill marks, I can get great charring on thick steaks with either lump of briquettes if I use enough.

My preference is to use a cast iron skillet or pizza pan, as they really do carmelize better and give a better crust.

Sub-80
06-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the grill ;)

Looks like I may have re-surfaced an old debate...wasn't my intention.

I have a Weber kettle and love it. It gets the job done. I was just curious about the coals.

wacosson
06-15-2012, 11:10 AM
I typically start with KB to build a heat base. Quicker than a chimney IMO. Once they're hot I add on RO, which quickly catch the heat. Not a fan of cooking directly over KB, but they make a great heatup tool. I then indirectly cook for the first little while, to get the texture on the inside that I'm looking for, then I add directly to the coals for the outside texture. If I do it right, I end up with a melts like butter inside and a carmelized crust outside.

spider22
06-15-2012, 12:23 PM
As would I...but the twins are just 9 years old...and not good at directions. It has yet to be located.

Not sure I'd want it back at this point. I can get a new one. Won't take me long to re-season it up to standards
You have twin 9 year olds and still manage to find time to BBQ. How do you do it?

Southstar Jeff
06-15-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm a fan of lump. Hotter, less ash, easy to reuse the leftovers and my family can taste the difference.

Sub-80
06-15-2012, 01:19 PM
You have twin 9 year olds and still manage to find time to BBQ. How do you do it?

It's certainly not easy...:mrgreen:

deguerre
06-15-2012, 01:23 PM
When I want a REALLY hot fire, I start a load of hardwood chunk just like I would lump or briquettes. Here's a pic. You can use a grate for the steaks if you wish though.:becky:

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b414/redhot696/Guerry%20TD/coals.jpg

BigBlock
06-15-2012, 01:31 PM
lump no grate right on the coals you will never use a grate again
do it don't be scared
http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q612/BAWSHAWG/steak5.jpg

Sub-80
06-15-2012, 02:14 PM
do it don't be scared

I've heard of this...and willing to give it a go sometime.

BigBlock
06-15-2012, 02:16 PM
you will be amazed I know I was

deguerre
06-15-2012, 02:17 PM
you will be amazed I know I was

Indeed. That cook of yours was the one that got me off my butt to try it.

spider22
06-15-2012, 02:22 PM
do it don't be scared
Doesn't the charcoal stick to the meat?

deguerre
06-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Doesn't the charcoal stick to the meat?

Very little to almost none. The key is a dry surface when the steaks go on.

Big Biscuit
06-15-2012, 02:24 PM
When I want a REALLY hot fire, I start a load of hardwood chunk just like I would lump or briquettes. Here's a pic. You can use a grate for the steaks if you wish though.:becky:

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b414/redhot696/Guerry%20TD/coals.jpg

I like a chimney full of mesquite myself. Gives the steak a good sear and just a touch of smokey goodness. Plus my cast iron grates leave tremendous grill marks.

BigBlock
06-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Indeed. That cook of yours was the one that got me off my butt to try it.
Well thanks bro if it wasn't Mooses td I would not have known about it either all I have to say is to those who have not done it you don't know what you are missing

Big Biscuit
06-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Well thanks bro if it wasn't Mooses td I would not have known about it either all I have to say is to those who have not done it you don't know what you are missing

Great I can't wait till I light my next fire and place the steaks on the coals. I can just see my better halves face. :jaw:
Her: What the hell are you doing to those steaks?
Me: Cooking them caveman style! :biggrin1:

HogFan
06-15-2012, 03:01 PM
First I ever heard of cooking steaks directly on coals was on the show Good Eats. I haven't yet got up the nerve to try it do thanks for these posts and ideas.

BigDaddyJT
06-15-2012, 03:28 PM
I like to use seasoned Red Oak splits. Good luck and Happy Father's day.

jasonjax
06-15-2012, 03:32 PM
If you want melt your face off hot give Cowboy Lump a shot. I've gotten some silly temps using that stuff in the Bubba Keg. It was always my goto lump for big time sears and cooking pizzas.

caseydog
06-15-2012, 04:24 PM
do it don't be scared

Actually, you don't even need the grill. Just dump some coals on the ground.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=516&pictureid=5864

This works great camping. Just pull some coals from the campfire and cook away.

CD

caseydog
06-15-2012, 04:27 PM

It's amazing how the Caveman Clusterfark of 2012 ended up having such a positive influence on so many of us. :laugh:

CD

buccaneer
06-15-2012, 08:16 PM
I grew up cooking on coals.
To answer the heat source question, I use my kettle with hardwood or wood charcoal for steaks.
I love the charred exterior and I like steaks (depending on how I feel and the cut) either rare or medium rare.
Okay, sometimes its because of beverages or TFO distracting me...but that is my preferred way to do it.

silverfinger
06-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Cooking a steak this way was real fun. This is what I used and it did not stick to the meat at all. http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4d81f-e2c5-793e.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4d81f-e26b-708e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in stealth mode.

jestridge
06-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Use real wood coals