PDA

View Full Version : Stuffed Fatty

Chick'n Pig BBQ
09-19-2005, 10:36 PM
I have been experimenting with stuffing fatties in the last year or so. I have tried mozzarella cheese, sun dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers,onions, peppers, shrimp, brats, and on and on, etc. I have done these in all different kinds of combinations.
Has any one else done this? If so what is your favorite combo.
Skip

Kevin
09-20-2005, 03:30 AM
I do armadillo eggs almost every time I fire up the cooker. (cheese filled japs inside a fatty)
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12094&highlight=armadillo+eggs
Haven't tried anything else, but I think you just gave me an idea for next weekend!

Trout_man22
09-20-2005, 05:40 AM
I have been experimenting with stuffing fatties in the last year or so. I have tried mozzarella cheese, sun dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers,onions, peppers, shrimp, brats, and on and on, etc. I have done these in all different kinds of combinations.
Has any one else done this? If so what is your favorite combo.
Skip

I haven't but I will now

scottyd
09-20-2005, 05:47 AM
please tell me exactly what a fattie is. Now I seen a few pictures I just want to know if I am on track to making the best fatties i can make?

Can you help a brother out?

Neil
09-20-2005, 06:02 AM
Smoked sausage log, i.e., Bob Evans, Jimmy Dean, Tennessee Pride,.....

Kevin
09-20-2005, 07:10 AM
please tell me exactly what a fattie is. Now I seen a few pictures I just want to know if I am on track to making the best fatties i can make?

Here's a few links.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12281&highlight=fattie
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12403&highlight=fattie
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12791&highlight=fattie

Good stuff.

icemn62
09-20-2005, 07:18 AM

Welcome to the dark side....You will never look at sausage the same again

smokeypig
09-20-2005, 07:23 AM
With all this talk about fatties, I'm gonna have to go back to the board and come up with something different. I've used apple juice as a spray. I've rolled the fattie in a cajun or mexican spice rub, maple syrup, sorghum syrup (positively AWFUL!), or Apple Jack (NOT the cereal) before cooking.

I have never stuffed'm with armadillo eggs or mini-fatties or whatever, but sounds good to this ole boy. Though I'm not certain my insides could take the jalapenos...

As an enlightened Fattie Fanatic, I'll give a few of these a try (but only with Jimmy Dean or Tennesee Pride sausage). But I need to come up with something new.

But then again, it is truly hard to improve on perfection....

smokeypig
09-20-2005, 07:37 AM
I think I have found it! I've had pork chops stuffed with dried fruit (apricots, peaches, apples, etc). Why not a fattie?

Gonna give these a go this weekend. Will keep y'all posted. One of each and then one (or two or ...) with combos...

But, no puppy peters this time...

and, Solidkick, certainly no Turkey Fry - still horrified at the thought.

MoKanMeathead
09-20-2005, 08:04 AM
When I not being lazy I will make my own fatties - just never knew they were fatties until I came to this site!!. Grind up a pork butt and mix in what ever spices (Italian spices work great) you want or mix the pork with veal and make your own brattwurst (may try that this weekend). After you grind it, make it into a log and wrap in plastic wrap. Put it in the smoker for about 15 minutes in the plastic wrap - just so it sets up and will hold its shape. Take off the plastic wrap, put on rub (or not) and finish smoking. You can get whatever tase you want.

Much easier than trying to stuff it into cassings - and you don't have the tough casing to worry about.

smokeypig
09-20-2005, 08:08 AM

Much easier than trying to stuff it into cassings . . .

:lol: U mean we're suppose to stuff it into casings? :lol:

I've never had a problem with the JDs and the TPs losing their shape. And I've never had one of my fatties wear a "raincoat", either!

ROTFLMFAO

Aeynghus
09-20-2005, 08:14 AM
I bet a maple fatty stuffed with apple would rock.

MoKanMeathead
09-20-2005, 09:00 AM
:lol: U mean we're suppose to stuff it into casings? :lol:

never had one of my fatties wear a "raincoat", either!

ROTFLMFAO

I always practice safe Queing!! :lol:

VitaminQ
09-20-2005, 09:06 AM
I wonder if you could stuff a fatty with cream cheese? Maybe smoosh it out flat, spread with cheese or whatever, then roll it back up like a jelly roll. I'm thinking cream cheese, worcestershire and maybee some diced japs. Inverted ABT, almost. The typical armadillo egg method may be more efficient, though. I think I've found my project for the weekend . . .

rbinms33
09-20-2005, 11:53 AM
I do armadillo eggs almost every time I fire up the cooker. (cheese filled japs inside a fatty)
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12094&highlight=armadillo+eggs
Haven't tried anything else, but I think you just gave me an idea for next weekend!

Ditto.....armadillo eggs are a lot easier than ABT's and they go further too!

smokeypig
09-20-2005, 12:06 PM
what the frak is an abt?

chad
09-20-2005, 12:07 PM
what the frak is an abt?

Atomic Buffalo Turd = stuffed jalapeno pepper :twisted:

smokeypig
09-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Ah, I see!

With that moniker, how dould it be bad?

BBQ_MAFIA
09-20-2005, 12:14 PM
I haven't tried stuffing a fattie as of today. By by Saturday that will all change.
Thanks for the idea.

Guido

scottyd
09-20-2005, 01:59 PM
thanks for the lesson on fatties. this sounds like it would be a grand item to add to any BBQ. thanks all and we will let the Dakotens try it.

rbinms33
09-20-2005, 04:35 PM
what the frak is an abt?

Keep in mind, there are Atomic Dragon Turds too......stuffed habanero pepper

While a cooked ABT normally has the heat of a bell pepper, an ADT still packs a pretty good punch.

BBQ_MAFIA
09-20-2005, 05:34 PM
what the frak is an abt?

ABTs are a treat from God. And don't forget the suds!

Yup, this thread talked me into it. I'm having fatties and turds for the weekend. Yum.

Chick'n Pig BBQ
09-20-2005, 11:58 PM
I wonder if you could stuff a fatty with cream cheese? Maybe smoosh it out flat, spread with cheese or whatever, then roll it back up like a jelly roll. I'm thinking cream cheese, worcestershire and maybee some diced japs. Inverted ABT, almost. The typical armadillo egg method may be more efficient, though. I think I've found my project for the weekend . . .

I tried it that way and did not like it at all. But maybe you will have different results then me! Please let me know!!! Cream cheese was to soft and ran out. Plus it did not taste good to me? But sounded good

Skip

VitaminQ
09-21-2005, 07:04 AM
I tried it that way and did not like it at all. But maybe you will have different results then me! Please let me know!!! Cream cheese was to soft and ran out. Plus it did not taste good to me? But sounded good

Skip

Maybe a cheddar or something would be better. The more I thought about that, the more I wondered about the ends. They'd have to be pinched off to keep the filling in, at the very least. As long as it's in the name of advancing fatty science, then I'll try anything.

rbinms33
09-21-2005, 12:03 PM
Maybe a cheddar or something would be better. The more I thought about that, the more I wondered about the ends. They'd have to be pinched off to keep the filling in, at the very least. As long as it's in the name of advancing fatty science, then I'll try anything.

Now I've got some new ideas.....

A.) Slice a block of cheddar (or even better....Pepper Jack) into sections 1"x1" and then wrap the fattie around it.

B.) Do the same thing as A but use Velveeta instead cut into quarters lengthwise.

C.) If the above two work, get a little creative with it. Trim the edges of the cheese to make it more round and get some pepper rings and slide them onto the cheese before you wrap. If you could find some that were the right size, you could also core some Roma tomatoes and slide them over the cheese/pepper rings and then wrap with the fattie.

I feel a weekend of experimenting coming on.

BBQchef33
09-21-2005, 12:08 PM
Now I've got some new ideas.....

A.) Slice a block of cheddar (or even better....Pepper Jack) into sections 1"x1" and then wrap the fattie around it.

B.) Do the same thing as A but use Velveeta instead cut into quarters lengthwise.

C.) If the above two work, get a little creative with it. Trim the edges of the cheese to make it more round and get some pepper rings and slide them onto the cheese before you wrap. If you could find some that were the right size, you could also core some Roma tomatoes and slide them over the cheese/pepper rings and then wrap with the fattie.

I feel a weekend of experimenting coming on.

You sure thats not an artery clogging that you feel? :twisted:

dont forget some crumpled bacon.:mrgreen:

rbinms33
09-21-2005, 12:21 PM
You sure thats not an artery clogging that you feel? :twisted:

dont forget some crumpled bacon.:mrgreen:

Nope....artery clogging would be dipping it in bacon drippings prior to cooking. I left that off to make it more artery friendly. :lol:

Heyyyyyyy....crumpled bacon is an idea......roll the fatty in bacon bits before cooking?

ggeilman
09-21-2005, 12:33 PM
How about the Velveeta idea with a bacon wrap?

icemn62
09-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Nope....artery clogging would be dipping it in bacon drippings prior to cooking. I left that off to make it more artery friendly. :lol:

Heyyyyyyy....crumpled bacon is an idea......roll the fatty in bacon bits before cooking?

Why not just spray it with bacon drippings instead of apply juice while it is cooking to keep those arteries good and happy :wink:

rbinms33
09-21-2005, 12:58 PM
How about the Velveeta idea with a bacon wrap?

Just wrapped in bacon? Or wrapped in bacon and then in the fattie? Only problem I see with just wrapped in bacon is......too hot and the Velveeta will make a nice cheese dip in your waterpan.....too cool and the bacon won't cook. Now, if you put it on top of a piece of french bread.....that might be interesting.

ggeilman
09-21-2005, 01:49 PM
The fattie wrapped in bacon stuffed with Velvetta.

rbinms33
09-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Oh yeah.....that would work!

Chick'n Pig BBQ
09-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Eggs Inside???? With all the extra's. cheese,onions,mushrooms. I am not sure if the eggs would stay inside?? I have not tried this. What do you all think?

Bigmista
09-21-2005, 08:46 PM
Why not just spray it with bacon drippings instead of apply juice while it is cooking to keep those arteries good and happy :wink:

Where can I get some "apply" juice? My grocery store doesn't carry it.

Jeff_in_KC
09-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Oh man, so many great ideas and so little time. Any way you slice it (no pun intended), wish I could see those judges faces when they open the turn-in box for sausage competition and see then taste a fattie! I plan on winning!