PDA

View Full Version : Sharing accomplishments

Gadragonfly
06-12-2012, 11:28 PM
As judges we are encouraged to attend award presentations at the end of the contest and personally we try to do that whenever possible. It gives us a chance to visit with teams and other judges as well. I think though that it would be nice to share judge's accomplishments with the teams during award presentations as well. When judging a 30th contest the judge is recognized during the judges meeting. I think that accomplishment is something the teams would like to know and celebrate with judges that they know and/or might have allowed to cook with them. What do you all think about briefly recognizing a judge who is judging their 30th contest maybe just before awards are announced or sometime during that time? There are plans to recognize judges with 100 contests. I think it would be nice to be recognized so that the team members know who the judges are that have invested so many of their Saturdays to the sport. Is it an idea worth pursuing or just a brain-dead idea that crept in at the end of along day? :crazy: Would teams be interested or judges willing to stay to be recognized?:noidea:

Outnumbered
06-13-2012, 12:42 AM
I think any judge that takes the time to do it and further takes the time to stick around for the awards deserves to be recognized. Just don't believe too many stick around.

Would like to see more stick around and recognized as a group. Then for the guy who just finished his 30th, he needs to receive individual recognition.

Pigs on Fire
06-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Are you judging at Euharlee this weekend?

Candy Sue
06-13-2012, 09:37 AM
As judges we are encouraged to attend award presentations at the end of the contest and personally we try to do that whenever possible. It gives us a chance to visit with teams and other judges as well. I think though that it would be nice to share judge's accomplishments with the teams during award presentations as well. When judging a 30th contest the judge is recognized during the judges meeting. I think that accomplishment is something the teams would like to know and celebrate with judges that they know and/or might have allowed to cook with them. What do you all think about briefly recognizing a judge who is judging their 30th contest maybe just before awards are announced or sometime during that time? There are plans to recognize judges with 100 contests. I think it would be nice to be recognized so that the team members know who the judges are that have invested so many of their Saturdays to the sport. Is it an idea worth pursuing or just a brain-dead idea that crept in at the end of along day? :crazy: Would teams be interested or judges willing to stay to be recognized?:noidea:

I love this idea! All judges should have some recognition at awards.

Lake Dogs
06-13-2012, 09:52 AM
very good idea!

Rich Parker
06-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Excellent idea to show some appreciation for judging the event!

Stoke&Smoke
06-13-2012, 12:11 PM
I think it's a great idea also. We always stayed for awards when we judged, and rooted for all the teams we knew.

A particular team member, but not a member here, always was very welcoming, even sharing their cold beverages with us at times while waiting. Kate, or Mrs Porkenstein, gave us some pretty solid advice early on. " ya gotta find a posse"

We like to visit with everyone at comps, but there definitely is sort of a core group of folks that we feel most comfortable around.

While perhaps not as financially taxing as competing, judges should be appre
ciated, because without them, we don't have a lot!

AUBBQ
06-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Great idea! I’m cooking a comp this weekend in Euharlee, GA. They have a very interesting way of meeting judges from what I read in the cook’s packet. I’m looking forward to it.

New Pal Frank
06-13-2012, 12:34 PM
When judging, we usually stick around for awards. My wife and I have done this for about two years (25 contests) and have made a lot of good friends on the cooks side as well as the judges side.
We are judging this weekend and booked a hotel room so we can stay as long as we like and visit with all our friends.
Next weekend we will be on the cooks side of the turn-in table. :)

Alexa RnQ
06-13-2012, 12:56 PM
We can't do what we do, unless judges are there to do what they do. I'd love to take a moment at awards to applaud for those who have served that day. We thank judges for their time and skill whenever we get to see them at contests.

A 30th contest or new Master Judge should definitely be celebrated. We've had an awesome judge with us for his Master cook, and it was a huge deal for us. Thirty shows over a period of years demonstrates dedication that is worthy of recognition!

Just Pulin' Pork
06-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Excellent idea! We had something happening this past weekend in Fredonia KS. After turn ins and all the judging had been done and they were set free, we had a judge stop by and thank us for cooking. I was blown away, in 5 years cooking I have never had a judge thank us for cooking. His exact words were "you guys allow me to get out on Saturday and eat some amazing food." It was a pretty humbling experience and we thanked him for taking the time to not only judge but to thank us for cooking BBQ. I looked as this guy as he was walking away and he was going by to every team and personally shaking their hands and thanking them for cooking. It was very cool to say the least! But back to your idea I love it!

Jon

Theresa B
06-13-2012, 08:28 PM
We are judging our first comp this weekend in MD. We absolutely intend to stay through awards at every comp we judge. We look forward to hanging out with our fellow judges and meeting as many of the teams as we can. we are practicing our cooking skills so that next season we can play on both sides of the turn in table!

Gadragonfly
06-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Are you judging at Euharlee this weekend?
Unfortunately we have a conflict this weekend and will not be judging. Julie

Theresa B
06-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Pigs on Fire- We are judging Swinetastic, not Euharlee.

Gowan
06-15-2012, 04:25 AM
Approved and done.
:thumb:
I believe we have a master or two being coined Saturday in Euharlee. If so, they will absolutely get a nod at awards.

-GF

nmayeux
06-15-2012, 12:23 PM
That is a great idea. I also support anything that promotes either party getting together, as before I started judging, I really had no interaction accept maybe seeing some people walking around an event Saturday morning with a funny looking name tag.