PDA

View Full Version : WSM 22.5" used with water in pan, what a mess! Does this look normal to you?

This is not your pork!
06-12-2012, 07:12 PM
So I had the water pan completely filled with water for my first cook, which where ribs using the 3-2-1 method (another thread with pr0n to follow), and this is how my shiny new WSM looked the day after:

Water Pan
http://666kb.com/i/c4jx8r15x23yaw9e6.jpg

Bowl
http://666kb.com/i/c4jx975uxf1j5x572.jpg

Center Section
http://666kb.com/i/c4jx9lh5c9sw3y6q6.jpg

Lid
http://666kb.com/i/c4jxa2po9gnwnvcsu.jpg

Cooking Grates
http://666kb.com/i/c4jxbr8wcun9uih72.jpg

Does this look normal to you?

My wife has already cleaned the water pan. Should I leave the rest as shown, or do I want to hose each part, or even brush it (I don't have a grill brush, but the manual mentions crumbled aluminum foil?)?

Is a grill brush better for cleaning the grates than crumbled aluminum foil?

I have read about the buildup on the inside, which is supposed to be seasoning, but I have no idea how this should look like, and how it is supposed to look to justify cleaning.

cameraman
06-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Foil your water pan, get a 16" terra cotta saucer from Lowes and foil it, put it in your pan and cover the top with foil that you'll replace before each cook. Clean, simple and effective.

You can brush your grates, I think most do it hot before putting on meat, but be sure to rub tthem down with an oiled paper towel afterwards to protect against the dreaded ingestion of a metal bristle. I believe I've read that brass brushes are more prone to shedding than stainless steel.

Bludawg
06-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Hell that aint even broke in yet what ya think it has a self cleaning mode.

bigabyte
06-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Looks great! Just needs a cleaning and it will look good as new.

geo
06-12-2012, 07:24 PM
I use water in the pan on slow cooks and I don't always foil it and don't find it much of a bother to clean it up either way. It kind of looks like yours boiled over for some reason.

Meat Meets Meat
06-12-2012, 07:27 PM
A little grease it good. Seasons your smoker and gives you a nice seal. Maybe just wipe up the globs of grease and clean the grates. We also wrap our water pan for easier clean up.

MarleyMan
06-12-2012, 07:31 PM
That brownish color looks odd to me, usually the "seasoning" coating inside is blackish/very dark brown. I see the line where the fat is on your H20 pan, and I agree that more than likely your water pan was too full and it boiled over or spilled into the fire. I am not an expert but that brown residue may be creosote and not "normal" seasoning (my new 22.5 lid does not look like that after 3 cooks, nor after the first cook although I DID spray mine down with PAM before my first cook and burned it in at 350 for an hour or so)

I use a saucer now as mentioned above. I hated cleaning the dirty water even with foiling the whole pan on my 18.5"

caseydog
06-12-2012, 07:31 PM
I line my water pan with foil, and it is pretty easy to clean out the next day.

As for the inside of the smoker, it's going to get grungy as you use it. Just knock the big stuff off, and don't sweat the rest. You are cooking meat with fire -- The inside of the smoker is going to get grungy.

CD

firefighter4634
06-12-2012, 07:42 PM
I don't have a WSM, but that looks very clean compared to the inside of my BGE, just a nice seasoning.

mtbchip
06-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Water pan.... what water pan? <snicker snicker>

stephan
06-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Thats normal. like what has already been said, if your going to use water foil first [ makes life easier when its time to clean up ].

swamprb
06-12-2012, 08:07 PM
You should have gotten the upgraded model with the auto-kleen feature.

Jaskew82
06-12-2012, 08:10 PM
looks perfectly normal to me.

smokemonster
06-12-2012, 08:11 PM
I used water in my pan for the first 6 months or so, then switched to sand and a couple layers of foil. Temp control wasn't affected and clean up is a breeze. I would never go back to water in the pan. Let the rest of the cooker get a good grease build up for seasoning. Every now and then you'll need to knock of the big flakes of creosote, but that's about it.

boogiesnap
06-12-2012, 08:17 PM
normal. now keep cookin and turn all that stuff black. then, when you even walk by your cooker in the summer heat, it'll smell great.

retired trucker
06-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Did you season the smoker before your first cook? Looks like it may have not been seasoned. If not spray it down with some Pam or such and fire it up for about an hour at 300-400 degrees and a nice black covering will protect it from rust.

glh17
06-12-2012, 08:32 PM
I just foil the pan now. When I used water AND closed the cooker down to save coals I got some real messes. I'd leave the lid off, open all vents, and let her burn down if I were using water. I waste some coals that way.

j20832
06-12-2012, 08:43 PM
normal. now keep cookin and turn all that stuff black. then, when you even walk by your cooker in the summer heat, it'll smell great.

+1 on that. Makes me hungry everytime I do yardwork out back.

missin44
06-13-2012, 12:22 AM
Looks ok, but foil pan, no water get a terra cotta clay saucer foil that and sit on top of water pan. Just not that I use a 16" saucer for my 18.5" WSM, so I'm not sure of the size you'll need for a 22.5".

landarc
06-13-2012, 12:25 AM
Looks normal to me, I prefer aluminum foil to a brush, I rarely clean my smoker beyond a quick brushing before the next cook. The grease will keep rust down.

This is not your pork!
06-13-2012, 05:19 AM
Ok, if the majority thinks it looks normal, I do not worry any more about the inside buildup. I'll just try to clean the cooking grates with crumbled aluminum foil.

The water pan indeed may have been too full on that first cook, and I could not foil the pan because I could not find a fitting aluminum foil locally, which is why I'll order some extra wide extra strong online.

I did not season the WSM before first use, and I don't understand the possibility of rust, since the inside surface is completely covered by enamel.

Can anybody please show a picture of such a 16" clay saucer foiled inside the foiled pan?

Is 16" the optimal size for such a clay saucer in a WSM 22.5" water pan?

NorthwestBBQ
06-13-2012, 05:53 AM
That pit is ruined I say! Better send it to me.

Clayfish
06-13-2012, 06:15 AM
Looks normal to me too.

The clean-up doesn't bother me too much as I dump the water over the back fence and I wash down my grills anyway so it doesn't take a lot more to wash the pan at the same time. The dogs always enjoy a good sniff around the lawn where I wash it all too.

cameraman
06-13-2012, 06:18 AM
16 inch pan works for my 22.5. You really don't need a picture. It just sits nicely in the bottom of the pan.

Pappy
06-13-2012, 07:03 AM
14" clay saucer in a 18.5 WSM
Now I just need some foil and some meat.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k591/Pappy1954/WSM%2018%20CL%20find/IMG_3873.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k591/Pappy1954/WSM%2018%20CL%20find/IMG_3872.jpg

rksylves
06-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Just foil the pan and get rid of the water (don't need it anyway). Brush off the grates. Dump the ash. Rinse the bottom section if it really bothers you. Leave the rest of it alone. You just got your first layer of Mojo.

It's reddish-brown because there wasn't enough grease to turn it black. To fast forward the 'seasoning', get a can or two of Pam and lightly spray the inside. The more 'seasoning' you get, the better your cooker will work. Then maybe cook some really cheap bacon in it. The insides should turn a shiny black.

If you clean it out back to showroom new every time, then you're defeating the purpose.

Russ

polishdon
06-13-2012, 08:52 AM
You don't need special foil either, lay a couple normal pieces next to each other and fold them together to make 1 large piece.

cameraman
06-13-2012, 11:02 AM
I bought a large roll of heavy duty foil from Costco a year ago for $19 and there's still plenty left. Great for covering water pans, half sheets and foiling meat. Once you go heavy duty you won't go back.

NickTheGreat
06-13-2012, 11:10 AM
I gave up on the water bowl Sunday. I had put too much in or something and was having trouble getting to temp. So I dumped the water and was in good shape.

Pookie
06-13-2012, 11:19 AM
That's how mine looked like after my first cook. I just cleaned the water bowl and grates. Dumped the ashes and I'm ready for the next smoke.

Hmmmm... Makes me wonder when or if I should eventually clean the thing.

This is not your pork!
06-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Well, so the plan is to foil the water pan on both sides, then place a 16" clay saucer foiled on both sides in the water pan. Should I then put another foil on top?

First I have to get such a 16" clay saucer, then I could try with those rather thin 11.81" and 17.72" foils which I have here right now, but I will order a heavy duty 23.62" foil from a catering equipment provider I just found anyway, because the foils I have now are not even suited to foil "Danish Back Ribs" (one of five slabs ripped it open resulting in the apple juice to run out, because those foils are really thin, and expensive too).

BobM
06-13-2012, 11:59 AM
I foil the clay pot base, put it in the water pan, then foil the top of the water pan.

Bob

MarleyMan
06-13-2012, 01:02 PM
I foil the clay pot base, put it in the water pan, then foil the top of the water pan.

Bob

Yes, this makes clean up easy as you just remove the top layer of foil wrap it up to seal in the grease from leaking and throw away.

Next cook just throw on a clean sheet of foil and you are good to go :thumb:

This is not your pork!
06-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Once the clay flower pot base is in the water pan, how do you foil the top of the water pan? I mean, do you put it down so that it touches the top of the clay flower pot base, or does it only have a depression to collect the meat juices without touching the clay flower pot base?

I'm still having troubles imagining how a 16" clayer flower pot base looks like when put into the WSM 22.5" water pan and everything is foiled.

rolfejr
06-13-2012, 03:18 PM

There is nothing like the smell of a "broke in" smoker!

retired trucker
06-13-2012, 03:54 PM
I may be wrong, but I think the consensus is to use the clay pot instead of the water pan. I think once you try it without the water pan you will find it is not really necessary. The clay pot is just to catch the grease dropping. I personally like for the drippings to fall on the fire and add flavor to my smoke.

The clay pot will also act as a heat shield.

MarleyMan
06-13-2012, 03:58 PM
I'm still having troubles imagining how a 16" clayer flower pot base looks like when put into the WSM 22.5" water pan and everything is foiled.

Check this out....

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8680069052/m/331105252/p/2

Shows you how it looks in a 18.5

NickTheGreat
06-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Why does a fella foil the saucer and then put foil over the top? Seems like one layer of foil would be enough. I guess it doesn't hurt anything, but I wonder if it's worth it.

cameraman
06-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Because S**t happens.

Happy Hapgood
06-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Pork, your going to find 2 camps with your new WSM. Use water in the pan or a substrate (clay, sand, etc.).

Water in the pan advantage:
1. It's the Weber recommended application in your owner's manual and what it was designed to do.
2. Water boils at 212*F (100*C) at sea level. This is a release of heat which converts heat energy to steam or causes evaporation within the pan. It has a natural regulating effect on the temp reaching the grill/meat.
3. This steam/vapor mixed with smoke encompasses the meat. I think it helps to keep the meat moist.

Substrate in water pan advantage:
1. Used in colder climates as any substrate will eventually assume the temperature of the fire under it. The substrate slows down the process.
2. For folks doing high heat cooks. I'm a low and slow guy but many prefer HH.
3. Altitude. Oxygen decreases with elevation making it harder for proper fuel combustion to occur therefore a cooler and slower combustion of fuel source.

Observations and things learned using my WSM:
1. I use water because I live 210 feet above sea level and during the summer and most of the winter, outdoor temps range from butt hot to mild:

http://i49.tinypic.com/2yxnb6w.jpg

This pic is from a smoke this last weekend. As you can see, my 1st 100*F were free so I'm into keeping temps down to maintain approx. 240*F for this pork shoulder:

http://i49.tinypic.com/oe6th.jpg

2. Use foil in the water pan. I use water and lining the inside of the pan with foil makes clean up easy. Line the water pan when using a substrate too.

Observations on your post:

1. You had incomplete combustion on your coal fuel. This could be due to the fuel itself, moisture absorbed into the fuel, not using enough hot starter fuel, or poor vent management/not enough O2.
2. I also noticed the water level/grease line close to the top of your water pan. This is an indication that either the fire did not get hot enough for the boiling process to take place or that your opened the unit too much to keep adding water.
3. Don't worry about it interior of your WSM. It will gunk over time. I do clean my water pan and grills everytime I use it. No worries about the interior though.

I've read some of your posts here and it seems like you really want to learn your new rig. This is why I went into detail.

Most importantly, ENJOY It while your learning it!

Good Luck, your off to a Great Start!

MarleyMan
06-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Why does a fella foil the saucer and then put foil over the top? Seems like one layer of foil would be enough. I guess it doesn't hurt anything, but I wonder if it's worth it.
easy cleanup...just remove top layer of foil and replace. That way you just fold up the greasy foil, toss in the garbage and add a fresh sheet for your next cooking session :thumb:

BackPorch
06-14-2012, 06:59 AM
Foil your water pan. Other than that all is normal. The pit needs more cooks on it and it will season right up and be great. Your going in the right direction cook a lot and enjoy :grin:

This is not your pork!
06-14-2012, 03:45 PM
I may be wrong, but I think the consensus is to use the clay pot instead of the water pan.
Interesting idea, but the consensus here is definitely to use the clay saucer inside the water pan, not instead.

Did anybody actually try to use a clay saucer instead of the water pan?

Check this out.... http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8680069052/m/331105252/p/2 Shows you how it looks in a 18.5
Ok, but here he clay saucer is large enough (16 inch?) to act as lid for the water pan, so it sits right on top of it, instead of inside the pan touching the bottom of the pan.

I bought a 16 1/4 inch clay saucer today for my WSM 22.5" water pan, which sits inside the water pan touching the bottom (I'd like to post a picture, but I can't right now).

Should I have got a 18 1/4 inch clay saucer instead? I think that one would fit into the water pan the same way as shown on that picture for the WSM 18.5".

Any thoughts on the difference between these two possibilities?

Looks like the close fit method would be easier for handling the foil on top.

BobM
06-14-2012, 04:56 PM
An 18" would probably be a better fit for a 22 1/2" WSM water pan. The biggest I could find was a 16".

Bob

Myrdhyn
06-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Looks normal to me.

Pappy
06-14-2012, 06:23 PM
It's just mass to hold the heat.
You don't need a pizza stone the size of your oven just to bake a pizza.

ToddM
06-14-2012, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=BobM;2094568]An 18" would probably be a better fit for a 22 1/2" WSM water pan. The biggest I could find was a 16".

I found an 18" saucer at Armstrong Nursery out here in California. Fit's like a glove. Recently though I've just used an empty pan, works just fine.

BobM
06-16-2012, 08:48 AM
I'm still having troubles imagining how a 16" clayer flower pot base looks like when put into the WSM 22.5" water pan and everything is foiled.This is how I do it. I took these yesterday when I was setting up my 22 1/2" WSM for a cook.

This is the 16" clay flower pot base, with one layer of 18" wide foil, in my 22 1/2" water pan.
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/7539/mmspicture1h.jpg

I put one layer of 18" foil over the top. Note, it is not wide enough to cover the top of the pan. I leaves 2, small open spaces.
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2553/mmspicture2m.jpg

I then put a second layer of 18" foil, perpendicular to the first layer. This covers the open spaces left by the first layer.
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7282/mmspicture3m.jpg

As an insurance, I put a 3rd layer of 12" foil, perpendicular to the second layer. This covers the small open areas left by the second layer.
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/892/mmspicture4z.jpg

I've never had any drippings touch the flower pot base. Most of the time, I just change the top and middle foil layers. The first (bottom) layer, I've used for several cooks now.

Good luck.

Bob