PDA

View Full Version : Good Butcher Shop in Huntsville, Al?

CPMatthew
06-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Huntsville Brethren and Sistren,

I am on temporary duty here for the summer and would like your recommendations on a good butcher shop. I have gotten some ok steaks from local grocers, but I am sure there is better quality out there. Also, perhaps some good places to get spices, wood chunks, etc.

Thanks,
CP

deguerre
06-12-2012, 10:51 AM
You at Redstone?

CPMatthew
06-12-2012, 10:54 AM
You at Redstone?Yep. Here for Army school

deguerre
06-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Well cool. Good on you. Wish I had advice on the butcher but there are quite a few Huntsville area brethren that compete and perhaps they'll chime in.

Myrdhyn
06-12-2012, 11:44 AM
First of all, welcome to Huntsville and Redstone. I actually work out here on post.

Second, good luck. I've lived here for 10 years and don't have any one that I would call easy to find and particularly outstanding. I can give you a few tips though:

My recommendations:
-The meat department at Fresh Market on Airport at Whitesburg is pretty decent, but outrageously priced.
-There's a Meat Market on the south end of Arab, AL (about 30mins heading south on 231) that's good, but a long drive. Fortunately that's where my parents live.
-The meat department at the Foodland in Arab, AL will cut steaks and such to order and usually has good sales
-Then there's Rocket City Meats out on Meridian St that I hear is pretty good haven't been there myself. I do know that they told me they couldn't get tri-tip for me, so take that for what it's worth.

A few tips:
-For whole pork tenderloin Sam's Club usually has the best deals.
-Brisket packers are going to be 2.29-2.49lbs basically anywhere any time. I rarely see it for less or more.
-What I've found works well for steaks is wait until the whole choice ribeyes go on sale for like $5/lb at Kroger and buy that and cut them myself.

Wood:
-For wood chunks you can get apple, hickory, mesquite chunks at Krogers, and Hickory or Mesquite at walmart, lowes, or home depot.
-For chips you can get apple, hickory, mesquite, and cherry at krogers.
-For wood planks you can get unfinished/untreated oak at Home Depot (and maybe lowes) or cedar planks just about anywhere.
-Craigslist usually has tons of downed wood for free if you'll haul it off, but you'll need to verify variety etc.

Spices:
-I usually just get whatever, wherever. I don't know of any specialty spice stores around. Best prices seem to be at Sams for bulk spices. If I need something special or want to know for sure I have the highest quality, I'll get it online.

dosvans
06-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Not really any good Butcher Shops in the area that I know of.

Star Market, from my experience, has some of the best meat in the area as far as steaks and other beef cuts. As far as pork, you would do fine just going to Sam's or Costco.

Patrick C.
06-12-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm not a Huntsville local, but I've been to the Star Market on Pratt and IIRC they have a good selection. It is a bit pricey, but everything was worth what we paid. The bacon was awesome- one of the best fatties I've ever had.
http://www.huntsvillestarmarket.com/