PDA

View Full Version : never buying meat from a box store again

redneck allstar
06-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Let me first say that i have heard the warnings of not buying meat from wal-mart and other box stores but Im a try myself type of guy. I normally buy all my meat from our local meat shop but last year I saw some ribs on sale (1.29/lb) at our local walmart and i snatched up a few slabs (actually as many as I could find). I used them for several cook outs and I thought they were actually pretty good. They were a hit with the family and friends. Unfortunatly I cannot remember the brand.

This year over memorial day weekend I was walking through Target and I saw they had ribs on sale so I picked up three slabs (I also cannot remember the brand). let me just cut to the chase. They were horrible. The worst ribs I have ever made BY FAR!!!! I would actually say they were uneatable. They were soooo hammy tasting and after 6 hours (3-2-1) in the smoke at 250 there was no fall off the bone. After the cookout there were at least 2 slabs left and let me just say that just aint right. Ive never had ribs left after a cook. I would say that it compleatly ruined the cookout but I had some killer pulled pork and a pan full of abt's.:becky:

Did anyone else get the ribs from target over memorial day? Did you have the same results? Im trying to remember what brand they were. I think they were hormel. Any advice or comments would surely be welcome.

HogFan
06-12-2012, 10:01 AM
I think that sale was poted about here......and several folks mentioned they had a lot of solution added and were "hammy" tasting. Some said they wouldn't buy those at any price. We all should pay attention to this when buying.......and pay special attention when things are unexpectedly cheap. At least you know what to avoid now and can probably prevent this in the future.

Bludawg
06-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Ya got read the label, if under ingredients it has anything but Pork listed put it down and look else where! same holds true for Poultry. Never by anything with a Tyson label they "ENHANCE" all their meat.

Mark
06-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Moral of the Story

Do not buy your meat in the same store you buy your underwear.

Bamabuzzard
06-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Yeah, been there done that. I to had several bad experiences with both Target and Wal-Mart meat. I just bite the bullet and go down to a local butcher shop and get the real deal. It cost me a bit more but the big grocery chains can't match the qaulity.

huskerfan1200
06-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Most likely Hormel brand. Target here in Rochester had a similar sale at Memorial Day.

redneck allstar
06-12-2012, 10:46 AM
I learned a valuable lesson. I definitely will be buying all my meat from now on here in town. The butchers know me by name and usually invite me back as they prepare my cuts. You wont get that at wal-mart or target.

Somewhere along the line service has been lost and its all about low prices and quantity.

Sub-80
06-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Moral of the Story

Pretty much agree...except I've found large packs of underwear at Costco before...and I think their meat is decent.

But I knew what you meant...

Jaskew82
06-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Chances are at Target you got smithfield or hormel enhanced ribs. You do NOT want these.

El Ropo
06-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Enhanced, you have to read the label..

Ribbin' Randy
06-12-2012, 10:55 AM
I've got to agree with the enhanced pork products...however, the last 2 briskets I did were bought from wally world and both were considered "home runs" by my guests.

Smoke & Beers
06-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Yep...they were "enhanced". I have no problem buying meat at Sam's. Always good quality...just stay away from "enhanced" products.
A large chain in Kansas sells the Kroger brand "Moist and Tender" pork products...Butts, ribs, loins...all enhanced with up to 18% solution...It is nasty chit...tastes just like you said... Ham!

MS2SB
06-12-2012, 12:41 PM
I don't believe that it's common practice to enhnace beef with the 12-14% sodium solution which is common with pork products. If there are any nitrites added to that enhancing solution you're guaranteed a lovely ham flavor and consistency.

V-wiz
06-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Moral of the Story

:clap:

BBQ Grail
06-12-2012, 01:01 PM
It's not the stores fault you didn't read the label and didn't know what you were buying.

I've bought great meat from lots of box stores and I've also purchased crappy meat from good butchers.

As the consumer you have the responsibility to know that "enhanced" ribs are going to give you the hammy flavor when smoked. Most people buying ribs at those stores are using the oven, boiling first or crock potting. Thus the hammy issues isn't an issue...

dadsr4
06-12-2012, 01:18 PM
My local gordon food service has started carrying fresh unenhanced ribs and other meats.You might try looking there. I've also found them at Save-A-Lot.

G$
06-12-2012, 03:07 PM
@redneck allstar:

Were they loinbacks or spares? What was the country of origin?

colonel00
06-12-2012, 03:12 PM
IIRC, they were Hormel "Always Tender" which is always a tipoff that they are enhanced.

G$
06-12-2012, 03:21 PM
I will continue to enjoy my spares in 8% solution.

Some of the worst ribs I cooked have been fresh from the butcher of a pork producer, several different times.

The absolute worst ribs I have ever cooked, were Danish Ribs. Not edible. For the record, I should point out I am still not sure what Danish ribs are, except that they are terrible.

captndan
06-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Just like buying a pesticide. Read and understand the label.

redneck allstar
06-12-2012, 03:37 PM
@redneck allstar:

Were they loinbacks or spares? What was the country of origin?

they were spares cut to st louis style. Im not sure what the country of origin was. I do remember that they were enhanced somewhere in the area of 12%. The funny thing is that the ones I bought last year at wally world were enhanced and they were good. Nothing like these.

I think that I have learned that in the future I'm just gonna stay away from anything that is enhanced.

idrivefast
06-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Most likely Hormel brand. Target here in Rochester had a similar sale at Memorial Day.

Yep, came to post this. Target usually has a big sale on Hormel baby backs during the summer holidays, and around here at least they're typically 12-13% solution.

Unfortunately the big supermarkets up here (Rainbow & Cub Foods) typically only carry the same ribs.

redneck allstar
06-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Just like buying a pesticide. Read and understand the label.

I think that buying meat is a little different then buying pesticide. :mrgreen:

G$
06-12-2012, 03:54 PM
I think that I have learned that in the future I'm just gonna stay away from anything that is enhanced.

My only point is, that may be a "baby and the bathwater" proposition.

redneck allstar
06-12-2012, 03:58 PM

This is true

Bamabuzzard
06-12-2012, 04:00 PM

I think the better position to take (for those of us who stopped buying enhanced) would be "inconsistency". I know when I was only buying ribs from Brookshires, Kroger, Wal-Mart etc. that were enhanced (whether it be 8% up to 12%) I'd get very inconsistence results. Sometimes they'd turn out "hammy" and sometime they would not. But strangely enough when I stopped buying them and started buying from our local market. I've yet to have one slab turn out "hammy". You're right though. It might be a bit of a "baby and the bathwater" mentality with enhanced ribs. I think the better and more accurate train of thought might be inconsistent. Or at least that's been my experience.

caseydog
06-12-2012, 04:05 PM
I have had good results with ribs enhanced "up to 8-percent."

It is required by the big, bad gubment that enhanced meat be labeled as enhanced, and by how much. I'll buy 8-percent ribs on sale, but that's about my limit.

CD

MS2SB
06-12-2012, 04:09 PM
I will continue to enjoy my spares in 8% solution.

I don't think that there is anything inherently wrong with enhanced products (at least on the low end of the scale). But it is definitely important to understand what's in your meat so that you can adjust your technique accordingly.

El Ropo
06-12-2012, 04:10 PM
On a sidenote, the wally world by me has better quality beef for the same prices as my neighborhood grocer. Their brisket is packed by the same folks as other places, and most of the time, the packers are usda choice. The local grocer typically has ungraded packers.

I've seen a fair amount of CAB packers at wallys too. Always the same low price of $2.18/lb.

Ashmont
06-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Just remember that holidazes are prime for unloading crappy meat! Memorial day, fourth of July, and Labor day! People looking for a cheap meal. That is what they get! Processors looking to unload.....

ButchB
06-12-2012, 04:42 PM
I cooked some spares the other night, from walmart, and they had a hammy taste. It was the first time I have ever cooked spares and I kinda thought maybe thats just how they are but maybe it wasn't. They were smithfield 8% enhanced. I cooked them 3 hours at 250, foiled for an hour, then back on out of foil for an hour with sauce near the end. This is pretty much the same way I cook BB's except I only do 2 hrs before foiling BB's. Same brand, same 8% and BB's always turn out good. I guess maybe thats the inconsistency you all are talking about.

superlazy
06-12-2012, 07:26 PM
as has been said, no product of mexico, enhanced or water added for me.
Label says it all.
I've had good luck with sam's,gfs & piggly wiggly.

Neil
06-12-2012, 07:52 PM
I've always purchased excellent ribs from Sam's Club. Look for the IBP logo on the cryo pack.

swamprb
06-12-2012, 08:09 PM
famous last words

firefighter4634
06-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Moral of the Story

Now that's too funny. :clap:

ozlites
06-12-2012, 09:20 PM
I got a rack of enhanced from Krogers this weekend and they just sucked, like everybody else sad, they just tasted like ham. I usually buy their "naturals" but they had a rack on sale and I wanted something cheap to try a new rub concoction I had dreamt about, could not taste the rub as I could not get passed the haminess. Maybe a pineapple glaze/BBQ sauce would work better...hmmm....here I go dreaming again!

bigkahunaranch
06-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Moral of the Story

Nominated for post of the day.

:clap2:

Two Bears
06-13-2012, 05:53 PM
I've got to agree with the enhanced pork products...however, the last 2 briskets I did were bought from wally world and both were considered "home runs" by my guests.

They sell Excel Beef Brisket and it is not enhanced.