PDA

View Full Version : Chargriller Kamado mods - The to do list

toddrod
06-12-2012, 07:57 AM
Here is what I did to mine to seal it up better.

Used Ultra Copper High Temp RTV to seal up the outside of the air vent. Could have used BGE gasket here to but I got impatient waiting on it to arrive in the mail.

Used BGE gasket on the ash pan the help give a better seal and give a little more tension on the closing clamps

Used more BGE gasket on the lip of the main cooker to again help get a better seal and give more tenision on the clamp

Used small pieces of BGE gasket the help seal the air vent. I put one piece vertically at the end of the slide so that when you closed it, it is completely sealed. Also put another piece vertically right where the #1 is on the slide so that no air can sneak in from that area when the vent is adjusted.

Please list any other versions of any mods that you have come up with.

bejean
06-12-2012, 09:43 AM
On mine, the main issue was that the inner and outer steel shell were not riveted together very well, so the seam had a big gap all around on all 4 spots (both sides of ashpan/grill seam and body/lid seam). There were also big gaps on the inside where the top vent mated to the lid. I sealed all that up with high temp RTV. There were also a couple spots where the lid gasket wasn't glued on and was separating, so I hit that with the RTV too.

Now it's no problem to park it at 225F as long as I start it really low, with just a handful of coals in the chimney. I also don't let it heat up at all before I close it up. I put the coals in, put the meat on, and close everything quickly.

schlickenmeyer
06-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Mine worked great on the first smoke, did ribs. had it closed almost totally down on top, bottom closed. Stuffed a bit of paper in the end gap to seal it, and it ran 225 for 4+ hours with no fuss.

Dylan's Dad
06-13-2012, 09:52 AM
Used small pieces of BGE gasket the help seal the air vent. I put one piece vertically at the end of the slide so that when you closed it, it is completely sealed. Also put another piece vertically right where the #1 is on the slide so that no air can sneak in from that area when the vent is adjusted.

Thanks! This was the last piece of the puzzle for me to totally control any air intake.

Did you have to trim down the gasket thickness at all, or was it a pretty good fit the way it came?

toddrod
06-13-2012, 09:53 AM
no trimming needed. It formed a nice snug fit.