PDA

View Full Version : first time smoking a prime rib

kotaman77571
06-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Has anyone smoked a prime rib before? My wife saw Bobby Flay smoke one on his show over the weekend and wants me to try it. I got his recipe from the website and want to try this weekend but don't want to screw up this expensive piece of meat. Any pointers would be great.

gtr
06-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Same as an oven, but in a smoker. I like to cook at a low temp - 200, till it hits an IT of 120, pull it out, crank the heat high and stick it back in quickly to get a crust. This way you have nice uniform doneness all the way through and a crust.

For seasoning, I like just kosher salt and cracked black pepper.

Let it rest under loosely tented foil after cooking!

landarc
06-11-2012, 05:21 PM
The first pointer I would give is to give the Google seach bar at the bottom of the forum a try, there are literally dozens of posts on smoking Prime Rib. I mean dozens.

Now, have you smoked a lot of meat before? Are you comfortable with your smoker?

I love smoked Prime Rib (http://smoke-n-brew.blogspot.com/2011/12/christmas-prime-rib.html), my view is keep it simple. I use a herb paste made from fresh herbs, kosher salt, black pepper and olive oil. Any oil works though. I like to smoke bone on, and bone towards fire. In general, and because I want any juices I can get, I smoke in a pan, on a rack, with aromatics and about 2 to 3 cups of stock in the bottom of the pan.

I set my cooker for 225F, prepare it with coals and apple and oak for smoke. I run it at 225F for 2 hours. After that, I will let the temperature come up to 275F until it hits the temperature I want. I usually shoot for 135F, pull and tent to rest for 20 minutes or so. At least 20 minutes, tented. I used to go 130F, but, the number of people who prefer closer to medium now out number me.

thirdeye
06-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Yeah, saw Bobby Flake smoke a prime rib.... then came here to get the how-to. Heheheee. Well, the first two posts ▲▲above ▲▲ nailed it. Only sometimes they look so good I don't do the end sear.

Here are some estimated times when smoking one. Use your thermometer and not the clock. Just remember to account for the rise in temp as it rests.... and let it rest before carving.

4 pound roast - 220-228 pit temp - 2 hours to reach 125
5-1/2 pound roast - 230 pit temp - 3 hours to reach 125
6-3/4 pound bone-in roast - 250 pit temp - 4 hours to reach 125
7 pound roast - 250 pit temp - 3 hours 40 minutes to reach 123
7 pound roast - 220-228 pit temp - 3 hours 30 minutes to reach 125
7.9 pound roast - 230 pit temp (dome temp) - 4 hours 5 minutes to reach 125
8 pound roast - 250 - 275 pit temp - 4 hours to reach 122
10 pound roast - 220-228 pit temp - 3 hours to reach 120
11 pound roast (4 bones) - 215 average pit temp - 4 hours 54 minutes to reach 125
14 pound roast - 220-250 pit temp - 4 hours 30 minutes to reach 125
15 pound roast - 220-250 pit temp - 4 hrs 50 min to reach 127
19.5 pound roast (prime grade) - 240 pit temp (dome temp) - 4 hours 25 minutes to reach 124

landarc
06-11-2012, 08:46 PM
I agree with Thirdeye, the sear is often not needed, in fact, I don't think I have done any sear on my roast in a few years.

Outnumbered
06-11-2012, 09:57 PM
For seasoning, I like just kosher salt and cracked black pepper.

Second what gtr says here. Don't try to over season it. It's a great cut of meat and won't need a lot of seasoning. Bobby Flay, IMO, tends to over do things too much.

KnucklHed BBQ
06-11-2012, 10:02 PM
My go-to Rib Roast thread when I've got the hankerin' (and the cash!) Check the link in the first post.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74822

Best of luck and don't ferget to post the pron! :thumb:

retired trucker
06-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Keep in mind that it will rise in temp during the rest period about 5 or 6 degrees. Cook low and slow and the internal will pretty much be even throughout. If you have people that like it more done, then ramp up the temp towards the end of your cook and the ends will be more done than the inside.

Prime rib is easy to cook successfully if you stay on top of it and watch the temps. Good luck.

IamMadMan
06-11-2012, 10:18 PM
I think they covered all your bases for smoking the roast.

I would only add that if you have not smoked much meat in your smoker and are comfortable to in your adjustments, I would hold off on the roast until you reach a comfort level with your equipment.

Remember the roast temperature will stall (seem to stand still) but do not adjust your settings, it is part of the natural cooking process.

thirdeye
06-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Keep in mind that it will rise in temp during the rest period about 5 or 6 degrees. Cook low and slow and the internal will pretty much be even throughout. If you have people that like it more done, then ramp up the temp towards the end of your cook and the ends will be more done than the inside.

Prime rib is easy to cook successfully if you stay on top of it and watch the temps. Good luck.

Another slick way to serve a couple of slices more done is to keep the pit going...... and just put the slices on for about a minute per side.

martyleach
06-11-2012, 11:39 PM
All good advice. I really like to keep it down low for (200-225) a couple hours. Then crank it up a bit. The color is the same all the way through. It is actually a very forgiving piece of meat....unless you overcook it.

TonyT
06-12-2012, 01:03 AM
It is a really forgiving piece of meat and the color turns out great. I did one for Mother's Day and only had reverse sear the ends because some people insisted theirs be medium well - well done. I cooked mine at higher tempos, but I'm sure low would be delicious too. Here's what I did:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132912

Good luck, it will turn out great!

schlickenmeyer
06-12-2012, 01:35 AM
Last year I was having a friend over for dinner and she gave me a prime rib and said "here, make this". I had no idea what I was doing. Would up indirect on the weber, with no temp gauge, and no experience.

It was fantastic. Think that's what hooked me into my new addiction. :)

I also kept the rub as mentioned above to salt and pepper. Nothing else.

captndan
06-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Don't confuse smoking with cooking. A prime rib should be cooked and not smoked. Salt, pepper, and fresh garlic only.

kotaman77571
06-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks for all the great advice! I called the meat market and they said they have prime rib that is aged 21-31 days and ranges from 12-15 pounds. I am very comfortable with my smoker as I have been bbq'in since I was 14 and now 33 and cooking on the same pit since 1999 (yes it was built that well) but I have never done this nice of a piece of meat or this pricey of a piece of meat. I drop $500-$1,000 for each cook off I do on the meat alone but never $125 for 1 piece. I think I have the ideas I need from the fellow brethren's and will make a bad a$$ meal this weekend. I will have to post some pics when I cook it.

gtr
06-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Fark. Now I want prime rib.

bobaftt
06-12-2012, 12:54 PM
no kidding. I really do like the original Todd's Dirt/Montreal Steak seasoning on prime rib. I find the herbs make for a good looking crust.

landarc
06-12-2012, 01:14 PM
I often use Todd's Dirt soaked in olive oil for making a rub slurry for roasts, especially if fresh herbs are not available. It is an excellent product and lives in my pantry.

SmokinOkie
06-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Cook it to Medium Rare. For anyone who wants it less pink two options.

While sitting on the counter, the color will change, rapidly. Another option is have a hot pan of Beef Au Jus and just cook their slice a little better. Basically this will remove the red color.

But I don't know why people eat meat if it's well done (or no red) :boxing::roll:

I have a Prime Rib 101 PDF from my class if that helps. Pm me.

thirdeye
06-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks for all the great advice! I called the meat market and they said they have prime rib that is aged 21-31 days and ranges from 12-15 pounds. I am very comfortable with my smoker as I have been bbq'in since I was 14 and now 33 and cooking on the same pit since 1999 (yes it was built that well) but I have never done this nice of a piece of meat or this pricey of a piece of meat. I drop $500-$1,000 for each cook off I do on the meat alone but never $125 for 1 piece. I think I have the ideas I need from the fellow brethren's and will make a bad a$$ meal this weekend. I will have to post some pics when I cook it.

You said it all right there. It's funny because for years I have exchanged countless e-mails with folks on cooking prime rib..... I always tell folks that "a prime rib on the pit is the easiest cook there is, and the hardest thing is writing the check for it." Earlier this year I visited with a guy over several days that dropped just over $300 on a 7 rib USDA Prime one, and rightly so... he was nervous. But it came out wonderful and he said the look on peoples faces when he brought the platter in was priceless. Best of luck to you and take some photos.

thirdeye
06-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Cook it to Medium Rare. For anyone who wants it less pink two options.

While sitting on the counter, the color will change, rapidly. Another option is have a hot pan of Beef Au Jus and just cook their slice a little better. Basically this will remove the red color.

But I don't know why people eat meat if it's well done (or no red) :boxing::roll:

I have a Prime Rib 101 PDF from my class if that helps. Pm me.

Russ, I'd like to see that myself, your other 101's are so informative. Is it something you can link to or do you need to e-mail it?

Big George's BBQ
06-12-2012, 05:49 PM
I would like to see that too
I thilnk Phil, our leader, has a thread that people like for prime rib

schlickenmeyer
06-12-2012, 10:38 PM
I was gonna pm Russ as well, but didn't know if he wanted to be bombarded with emails for the pdf.. :)

El Ropo
06-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Don't confuse smoking with cooking. A prime rib should be cooked and not smoked. Salt, pepper, and fresh garlic only

I don't get that statement at all. Smoking a PR Low n Slow can give the most evenly cooked piece of meat that is a perfect low med rare from edge to edge. Instead of a donut shaped ring of brown with a donut hole section of med rare in the middle. :crazy:

retired trucker
06-12-2012, 11:55 PM
^^^^^^
What he said. I have never messed one up by cooking low and slow. I think about it like I am "warming" it up to 120 degrees internal. Cook it to hot and you will wind up with EL Ropo's "doughnut."

Ye Olde Party Palace
06-13-2012, 12:27 AM
I like to run my prime rib with a mixture of equal part of kosher salt, cracked pepper, and granulated garlic. Cook to medium rare and serve. :clap2:

martyleach
06-13-2012, 12:33 AM
I don't get that statement at all. Smoking a PR Low n Slow can give the most evenly cooked piece of meat that is a perfect low med rare from edge to edge. Instead of a donut shaped ring of brown with a donut hole section of med rare in the middle. :crazy:

I completely agree with you. The best Prime Rib I have ever had never saw 275 degrees! Perfect pink all the way through.

SmokinOkie
06-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Russ, I'd like to see that myself, your other 101's are so informative. Is it something you can link to or do you need to e-mail it?

If I can find a new place to store PDF's online, then yup, I'll link it here. My old place changed their server storage so I need to find a single spot for 101's, but with the new restaurant, little still has fallen farther down the list.

I'm sure someone will point to a good place for online storage/linking. If you know someplace, just PM me or put it here.

Hence the email only for now. I'll PM you.

ANYone else wanting it, just PM me with your email and I'll send it off.

kotaman77571
06-13-2012, 02:39 PM
SmokinOkie, if you would email it to me i would greatly appreciate it. Might try and talk my wife into also picking up a wireless temp gauge so i can leave the lid closed. My email is kotaman77571@yahoo.com. thanks again.

Big George's BBQ
06-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Russ the PR 101 is awesome thanks A question about aging. I get my best meats fresh from my butcher The meat is exposed to air in the case but he will cryovac it for me. I did this with Brisket and it worked great. Can I do it the same with PR. His meats are always fresh

SmokinOkie
06-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Russ the PR 101 is awesome thanks A question about aging. I get my best meats fresh from my butcher The meat is exposed to air in the case but he will cryovac it for me. I did this with Brisket and it worked great. Can I do it the same with PR. His meats are always fresh

From what the meat guys have told me it's you'd have to dry age it at that point. While it's exposed to air and then cryovac'd at the plant, when it's opened, cut and sealed it's not a full seal nor air tight.

Me? Buy a whole one, cryovac and when you take it out, cut it in half and freeze that half.

Hope that helps.

SmokinOkie
06-14-2012, 10:50 AM
We'll see if this works. Site Admins had a good suggestion, I've uploaded my PDF for PR 101 into our documents section, under the How To's.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=13

RutledgeQ
06-14-2012, 10:59 AM

I think what he is getting at is that there is a difference between smoking and cooking and it is not the temperature it is the presence of smoke. You can cook something low and slow without it being considered smoking even if you do it on a smoker. You want to cook the PR low and slow but probably would not want to add smoke.

Ag76
06-14-2012, 12:29 PM
The download did not work for me. When I click on the Download button, I get the following message:

Warning: copy(/home/rizzaph/downloads//ec_tmp/2010PrimeRib101v3.pdf) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in [path]/downloads.php on line 736
ERROR: File not found.

El Ropo
06-14-2012, 02:51 PM
I think what he is getting at is that there is a difference between smoking and cooking and it is not the temperature it is the presence of smoke. You can cook something low and slow without it being considered smoking even if you do it on a smoker. You want to cook the PR low and slow but probably would not want to add smoke.

Well, why not just pop it in the oven then?

I guess slow smoking with oak lump is out of the question! :crazy:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Doesn't mean it's the only way to do something.

landarc
06-14-2012, 03:00 PM
I add smoke to prime rib, usually a little oak and apple.

GARNAAL
06-14-2012, 04:32 PM
take a look..
if you want to, place a drip pan under the ribs and spritz the roast with some red wine every once in a while..

here the little video:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-m0CUh1EVLrNTJlZTZkZjAtYjEwNi00YTM0LTgxMzctODkxNmEy MmY0YzZm/edit?pli=1

https://public.sn2.livefilestore.com/y1pSMibHtz14YWxdSz5YTa8FQCkM6PBm_wNCBeZIDjBJTomzo-7nOTRDcM81jjPfnMLWyEKnYg_4wTu_IwCuk-SAg/HPIM3099r.JPG?psid=1

jon s
06-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Question: When using a Kamado cooker, do you need to use a place setter or stone for indirect cooking or is the rib placed directly on the grill? Secondly, Costco in Hawaii is about the only place where you can get a decent prime rib, but they only sell it as boneless. Would that affect the cooking?

thirdeye
06-18-2012, 01:33 PM
The download did not work for me. When I click on the Download button, I get the following message:

Warning: copy(/home/rizzaph/downloads//ec_tmp/2010PrimeRib101v3.pdf) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in [path]/downloads.php on line 736
ERROR: File not found.

Yep, it didn't work for me either..... what are we doing wrong?

MarleyMan
06-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Yep, it didn't work for me either..... what are we doing wrong?

I think the downloads section is broken, I tried some downloads the other day and got the same message.

:mmph: