PDA

View Full Version : jalapeno vinegar

Samichlaus
09-19-2005, 09:45 AM
I really like this stuff, made a quart with some jalapenos outta the garden.

I love adding it to soups, especially beans, but it's great on fried potatoes and in marinades too. I'm sure I'll figure out other stuff to do with it.

a couple dozen jalapenos roughly chopped

32 ounces white vinegar

6 cloves garlic

a bunch of whole peppercorns

a small glop of honey

salt

Toss it all in a non-reactive pan, boil for 5 min or so, let cool, then put in a clean container and in the fridge, strain the mixture and start using it.

brdbbq
09-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Vinegar on potatoes ?

icemn62
09-19-2005, 09:53 AM
I really like this stuff, made a quart with some jalapenos outta the garden.

I love adding it to soups, especially beans, but it's great on fried potatoes and in marinades too. I'm sure I'll figure out other stuff to do with it.

a couple dozen jalapenos roughly chopped

32 ounces white vinegar

6 cloves garlic

a bunch of whole peppercorns

a small glop of honey

salt

Toss it all in a non-reactive pan, boil for 5 min or so, let cool, then put in a clean container and in the fridge, strain the mixture and start using it.

Very good my wife made a batch of this a short time ago. Used it so much, thought we would kill ourselves wth it. Thanks for the idea, now I gotta get the ol to make anouther batch.

thillin
09-19-2005, 10:03 AM
I like the stuff on any kind of greens, green beans an pizza.

Ty

chad
09-19-2005, 10:14 AM
Pepper vinegar is a southern staple for greens. I've made is, often, with jalapenos and have a bottle in the 'fridge made up from cider vinegar and dried red peppers - it'll light you up! :D I use is to supplement sauces and used it recently in some pinto beans.

Trapley makes a version using smaller peppers.I've got a bottle made from Dat'l-do-it, Inc. made with datil peppers - a Majorcan pepper that's indigenous to St. Augustine, FL.

VitaminQ
09-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Sounds like something that would be damn good on coneys, too. I love that pepper vinegar they usually have at the coney places, but this would take it to another level. Gotta make some . . .

chad
09-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Vinegar on fried potatoes is excellent - if you've ever been to a traditional fish and chips place you'll find malt vinegar at the table - it's great on the fish AND the chips!

qman
09-19-2005, 11:16 AM
Pepper vinegar is a southern staple for greens. I've made is, often, with jalapenos and have a bottle in the 'fridge made up from cider vinegar and dried red peppers - it'll light you up! :D I use is to supplement sauces and used it recently in some pinto beans.

Trapley makes a version using smaller peppers.I've got a bottle made from Dat'l-do-it, Inc. made with datil peppers - a Majorcan pepper that's indigenous to St. Augustine, FL.

Love them Datil peppers. We used to live in St. Augustine and I got addicted.
in addition to the heat, they have a flavor diffrent from most other peppers. They do make great pepper vinegar, And I use them in a seriously spicey Minorcan Clam Chowder that I make.

Trout_man22
09-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Gotta love hot & spicey vinegar on potatoes.