PDA

View Full Version : First Hot-N-Fast Attempt

Outnumbered
06-09-2012, 07:53 PM
I bow to PatioDaddio's hot-n-fast brisket method. :bow:

I followed PatioDaddio's method for hot-n-fast brisket today and I gotta admit I didn't like it when I got into it. No stall? Less than 4 hours on the smoker? Juicy and tender? No farkin' way.

Alas, I was wrong.

Put the 12# full packer on at 11:30 a.m. and got to 150 by 1:30, wrapped it. At 3:00 p.m. I was cruising along at 190 and very soon got to 205. I took it off then as it was probing like the butter we all aspire to.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g365/outnumberedgreg/IMAG0249.jpg

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g365/outnumberedgreg/IMAG0250.jpg

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g365/outnumberedgreg/IMAG0252.jpg

smokesalad
06-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Very nice

landarc
06-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Looks like a good brisket there. Nice cook.

campdude
06-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Looks like your critic loves it! It's a great looking brisket. H&F is the way to go.

PatioDaddio
06-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Very cool! I'm really happy that it worked well for you. Good job!

John

gtr
06-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Looks good to me - other than the fact that it's a picture and I can't eat it.
Enjoy! :hungry:

vr6Cop
06-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Very nice. Looks like a hit.

martyleach
06-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Very nice! I have never done the hot and fast cuz, well, I'm retired and try to slow stuff down. Life is just too fast. :) Nice job

bigabyte
06-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Nice work!

Hook_Line_and_Sinker
06-10-2012, 05:00 AM
Almost seems like cheating, but can't deny it looks great. I may have the jump the fence and try a hot and fast one - what's to hate about it less time and same results. Although I would miss sleeping through the cook. But could get bonus naps in :grin:

Pitmaster T
06-10-2012, 07:12 AM
Original Popdaddy Versions from 2008-2009 posted to celebrate the revival of Hot and Fast.

Popdaddy - Hot and Fast Q and the Dirty Dalmatian Post Rub Technique - YouTube

This first video FROM THE OLD POPDADDY CHANNEL was filmed after the second one (BELOW) and forgets to take in account the smoke ring set temps at begining. My Tri Level process is more perfected but I think I drop the 2 hour smoke ring set temps because when you cook that many briskets, their mass makes the temp hard to get up anyway so you end up with a fine smoke ring. ALSO NOTE 88 CENT A POUND CHOICE... WE MAY NEVER SEE THAT AGAIN!!!!!

Brisket Prep - Broadcast from the Funkotorium - YouTube

This second film says "cranks it up to 270 after two hours". In this film you will actually see me use a probe here... can you imagine? A probe and even foil... which I used just for the resting. I used the probe solely for showing how the point gets done before the flat and what the temps are.

The mistake in this film is it shows me POURING on the lawreys when actually it is the POPDADDY GLITTER I am putting on. It makes it look like I am porung this **** on and you would need to NOT do this.... I find Lawreys and the Popdaddy Glitter are a fine (leave it on overnight) dusting. At times I just put the glitter on then Lawreys and large grains just before I place on the grill.

One other thing... the glitter or the lawreys make a fine way to get the meat moist overnight for the large grains to take too.

Also - note my 3rd level is Atomic Dawg and not Minnie Howells Bovine Dirty Dalmatian Rub. This is because I was in Connecticut and could get Montreal and NonSalt Lemon Pepper easier. Today I use Pepper, Salted Lemon Pepper and some additional salts so the Dirty Dalmatian is a bit different.

Outnumbered
06-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Almost seems like cheating, but can't deny it looks great. I may have the jump the fence and try a hot and fast one - what's to hate about it less time and same results. Although I would miss sleeping through the cook. But could get bonus naps in :grin:

I was firmly in your boat until last night about 8:00 p.m. CT. I did cause I had to try it so then I could confirm I didn't like it. Well, that didn't happen. I'm a convert.

sbramm
06-10-2012, 12:38 PM
linky?

Pitmaster T
06-11-2012, 02:39 PM
linky?

Weeping ribs Technique - YouTube

misterrachel
06-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Nicely done! I'm a total convert to hot-n-fast brisky. I actually achieve much more consistent results this way.