PDA

View Full Version : Boston butt underway

Drh7003
06-09-2012, 01:22 PM
SO, I started my 5th Boston butt on my Masterbuilt smoker. The last 4 have been good thus far and everyone loved them.

This is also the first time I have decided to try injecting. I am using Chris Lilley's rub recipe and injection recipe that has been posted online many times...Hopefully pron later...

jcpetro97
06-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Good luck. I got mine prepped and its going on the cooker in the morning.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

BRBBQ
06-10-2012, 01:33 AM
I modified his to my taste, good stuff

bigabyte
06-10-2012, 01:47 AM
Looking forward to it! That is a good injection to start out with IMHO.

Drh7003
06-10-2012, 07:48 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/DocH717/100_5029.jpg
Here it is in the smoker...
No finished pron...:(

eddieh70301
06-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Put on a shoulder at 6am. Prepped with Chris lillys rub/injection. I also used a mustard slather that contained 1 tbl worshy and 1/2 tsp Tabasco habanero sauce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drh7003
06-10-2012, 09:05 AM
My thoughts on injection: This is the first I have done it on. I have never injected one before, but I don't think it added to the flavor profile nor the tenderness. The last 4 turned out fine without it, so I think I won't be doing it in the future, at least at this point. I always pick shoulders with good fat striations and a good cap. The first one I did I did very little trimming and it was really greasy, the next ones I took away about half of the cap to about 1/4", and it was a lot less greasy this one I trim down to +/- 1/8th of an inch then rubbed it. This was less greasy, but the taste wasn't as good as the last couple. Maybe it was the change with the injection, I don't know.

Sauce wise: I take the drippings and use a separator and take most of the fat out and add it to my sauce. I used KCM this time thinned with apple juice and added the pork drippings to it. This is the second with KCM, normally I use SBR with the same method.
I just tried some from the fridge and it is much better today than it was last night..

eddieh70301
06-10-2012, 10:36 AM
I dont usually inject butts but I wanted to give it a try with a shoulder as they are leaner. The best way for flavor is to add it after pulling. I don't use the drippings as most times I don't use a drip pan. And the couple of times I did, the drippings were way to smokey and tasted like chit.